PDA

View Full Version : Cap Update 2/19

clumping platelets
02-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Now that we know Peerless has been tagged, Bills now have 61 players under contract (plus 1 suspended) and are $6.741 million under the NEW projected cap of $75.326 million.

clumping platelets
02-19-2003, 04:19 PM
If Bills release Riemersma and Watson as expected, that would leave us at 59 players under contract and $11.191 million under the cap of $75.326 million

The_Philster
02-19-2003, 04:21 PM
:hail: CP
:cp:
:D

clumping platelets
02-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Then once tenders are placed on our RFAs and EFAS, Bills will have 67 players under contract and be $9.409 million under

Michael82
02-19-2003, 04:26 PM
:hail:Clump

:hail:TD

Ebenezer
02-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Don't forget to include another couple of hundred thousand in chump change for the raise in minimum salaries...that has not been announced yet...

My prediction is that JR and CW remain Bills until a deal with PP is signed or we need money to sign other FAs...TD will not cut them loose so soon.

clumping platelets
02-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I've reviewed the minimum salaries. It doesn't appear that it will affect that many players. Impact will be minimal

Eb: check CBA extension under Active Player search on NFLPA website

Throne Logic
02-19-2003, 06:53 PM
There has been talk about long-term deals for Price. What do you guys see as a likely contract for him and the rough CAP hit Buffalo would take for this year?

SoCalBillsFan
02-19-2003, 08:26 PM
CP, this is all including Price under contract at the Franchise tag level?

TigerJ
02-19-2003, 08:38 PM
That's not so bad. I'm surprised cutting just Remiersma and Watson would make that much difference.

Doc
02-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Clump: Are your numbers pretty accurate now, seeing as you were waiting on finding out if the Bills had a debit and what effect UTBE incentives would have? If so, COOL! I can handle $9.4M under the cap with all of the Bills' restricted (including EFA's) FA's and Price locked up!

clumping platelets
02-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Still no word on whether we have a "debit" but my numbers have been pretty close to all reported thus far.

Yes: The above numbers include the "tag" amt of $5.01 million

I suspect Peerless and his agent are looking for about $6 million/season. On the open market, he could probably get that because of the relative high demand and little supply. However, I believe he will get closer to $5.5 million/season. His cap hit in 2003 is likely to be no more than $2.5 million. I'll try working out some numbers later

don137
02-20-2003, 07:49 AM
The ESPN article about Price being franchised states that we can rescind the franchise tag. I thought it could only be rescinded for players that were tagged as transition players and not franchised. If you can rescind a franchise tag this would give TD many options and is in a can't lose situation since if TD does not get any trade interest or he finds good value on players defensively he can pull the franchise tag on Price.

clumping platelets
02-20-2003, 07:55 AM
Yes.....it can be rescinded. That's what Philly did last year with LB Trotter

don137
02-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks Clump. I couldn't remember if Trotter was transitioned or franchised.
I wonder why more teams don't throw the franchise tag on a player and then if they can't get anything rescind the tag. I realize that to trade him they need to reach a deal with Price and the Bills would lose money via a signing bonus but I'm sure that the deal would be done on condition of the trade with the assistance of the new team and the signing bnus would not be high. If it doesn't work out then Buffalo can rescind the tag. It seems like Buffalo can't lose on the deal especially since the FA WR field is weak and there was a lot of demand for him.

Halbert
02-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Question 1: I've seen it reported that the $5 mil counts against the Bills cap NOW. What happens to that cap figure if they trade him? Do we have any residual cap hit even if he's not on the team any more (due to trade)?

Question 2: I've heard that only the top 51 players count against the cap but you (cp) keep mentioning that we have 67 players under contract. Who cares how many we have under contract if only the top 51 count against the cap? Cutting players below the top 51 has no impact so we could have 167 players under contract and it is meaningless to the cap, right? If you only consider the top 51, where do we stand cap wise?

Like everybody else, I want to know how much room we'll have to stock the defense. I'm hoping we deal Price for at least some draft choices and don't have to absorb any cap (resulting from the franchise tag) to do it. Is that possible?

clumping platelets
02-20-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
Question 1: I've seen it reported that the $5 mil counts against the Bills cap NOW. What happens to that cap figure if they trade him? Do we have any residual cap hit even if he's not on the team any more (due to trade)?

Question 2: I've heard that only the top 51 players count against the cap but you (cp) keep mentioning that we have 67 players under contract. Who cares how many we have under contract if only the top 51 count against the cap? Cutting players below the top 51 has no impact so we could have 167 players under contract and it is meaningless to the cap, right? If you only consider the top 51, where do we stand cap wise?

Like everybody else, I want to know how much room we'll have to stock the defense. I'm hoping we deal Price for at least some draft choices and don't have to absorb any cap (resulting from the franchise tag) to do it. Is that possible?

1) If Price signs the 1 yr tender and then traded, Bills get the entire $5.01 million back :)

2) Read the first few posts: my numbers include the top 51 salaries and all bonuses. I've also tendered the RFAs and EFAs whose salaries are in the top 51.

Halbert
02-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
2) Read the first few posts: my numbers include the top 51 salaries and all bonuses. I've also tendered the RFAs and EFAs whose salaries are in the top 51.
Tanks!!

I read them but was getting confused with the references to numbers of players signed. It seems that is always mentioned but since it is irrelevent to the cap it is superfluous and shouldn't even be mentioned.

Question 3: Can a team apply the franchise and/or transition tag on the same player year after year? IOW, could they let the player play the year and then just slap him again the next season? Is there a big downside to this (other than not signing them to a long term deal and having the tags available for someone else)?

Halbert
02-20-2003, 08:44 AM
So to answer my own question (I think) we could have at least 9 million to get FA help by releasing JR and CW, the other 2 mil to be spent on draft picks and other extensions. Is that a fair guess? If so, we can have PP play for us this year PLUS we have plenty of room to sign the 2-4 defensive FA's to put our defense in the top 10 - which should be plenty enough to make us legit SB contenders.

Is that correct?

clumping platelets
02-20-2003, 09:08 AM

Tanks!!

I read them but was getting confused with the references to numbers of players signed. It seems that is always mentioned but since it is irrelevent to the cap it is superfluous and shouldn't even be mentioned.

Question 3: Can a team apply the franchise and/or transition tag on the same player year after year? IOW, could they let the player play the year and then just slap him again the next season? Is there a big downside to this (other than not signing them to a long term deal and having the tags available for someone else)?

Yes, a team could keep "tagging" a player. However, re-tagging that player results in a tender offer of the greater of 120% previous years salary OR average of the top 5 again. If Peerless played for the tender of $5.01 million, the tender next seaosn would likely be the 120% figure of $6.012 million because this off-season will not likely greatly impact the average of the top 5 players at WR. 120% of $6.012 million is $7.2144 million......and so on and so on....LOL

clumping platelets
02-20-2003, 09:11 AM
So to answer my own question (I think) we could have at least 9 million to get FA help by releasing JR and CW, the other 2 mil to be spent on draft picks and other extensions. Is that a fair guess? If so, we can have PP play for us this year PLUS we have plenty of room to sign the 2-4 defensive FA's to put our defense in the top 10 - which should be plenty enough to make us legit SB contenders.

Is that correct?

Right now, without a #1 pick, Bills would only need about $1 million for the rookie signing bonuses. Yes, Bills have about $9 million to play with and have the ability to create many more millions this season. However, every dollar of cap space created this season is a dollar taken away from future cap years....need to be careful.

It depends on who's available in FA and who TD is able to sign that will truly determine the Bills fate. :pray:

Halbert
02-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Wow. Wow. Wow. I did not know that.

So we could actually play with PP this season, while ALSO getting the defensive help to possibly put us in the top 10 defensively.

Holy crap.

If we manage to deal PP, we could add another 1-2 solid defensive players with no residual cap hit on tagging him.

Holy crap.

I'd prefer defense but either way we're looking stronger and stronger.

Holy crap.

How many Kraft Macaroni & Cheese dinnner equal a couple season tickets?