PDA

View Full Version : Response from the Price Camp

Ebenezer
02-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Chris Brown of WGR has contacted Tim McGee the agent for Peerless Price. Brown reports that McGee had a one word response to the news of Price's tagging:

Diappointment.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Gee, what a surprise. An agent unhappy with with his client being tagged.

I just hope this guy doesn't poison Price's thoughts and make it so we can't negotiate a deal. :rolleyes:

Michael82
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Yeah, of course. I hate these agents...they could care less about the team or the player...they just want their big pay day! :down:

Judge
02-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Yeah, of course. I hate these agents...they could care less about the team or the player...they just want their big pay day! :down:

They're not there to care about the team. All agents care about the player- that's their client.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 04:49 PM
I hope they negotiate a deal and then trade his ass to Cincy. I bet that would make him happy.

Bulldog
02-19-2003, 04:51 PM
Yeah, well I got three words for Price's agent: shut your mouth!

This guy is clearly an idiot. What a bummer, being paid the average of the top five receivers in the league.

clumping platelets
02-19-2003, 04:53 PM
I' ve got a number for Price's agent to call:

1-800-cry-baby

kgun12
02-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Judge

They're not there to care about the team. All agents care about the player- that's their client.

Your kidding right? All these guys care about is their wallets. They could give a damn about the Player or the team.

Billz_fan
02-19-2003, 04:55 PM
hmm

The only reason to tag Peerless IMO is if some others really want him bad enough.

Let them bid for him, decide not to match and take the 2 1st rounders.

As far as the agent goes, thats just typical. He sure wasn't gonna say we are thrilled :D He is out to get his man the best deal possible which in turn get the agent the best deal possible ;)

BLeonard
02-19-2003, 04:55 PM
Tim McGee will make more being Price's agent this season than he did during his NFL career... :)

-Bill

Judge
02-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by kgun12

Your kidding right? All these guys care about is their wallets. They could give a damn about the Player or the team.

What's good for the player is good for the agent. The agent has a fiduciary duty to represent his client, which means negotiating the best possible deal for his client. That of course means a higher fee for him.

What a surprise that the agent is upset- he probably could have gotten a better deal than the franchise tag allows, and is rightfully upset for Price and himself.

You have to be kidding to resent the agent for that.

colin
02-19-2003, 05:02 PM
hmmmm, we might be doing a sign and swap. Could be good.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Agents and their greed cause more harm than good. What good does it do to land a record setting contract for a player if it makes it so the team can't afford anybody else?

I would think in the long run, a player could make a lot more in endorsements or future contracts if they give up a little cash so the team can maybe get a few other quality players and field a winning team.

Judge
02-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Agents and their greed cause more harm than good. What good does it do to land a record setting contract for a player if it makes it so the team can't afford anybody else?

I would think in the long run, a player could make a lot more in endorsements or future contracts if they give up a little cash so the team can maybe get a few other quality players and field a winning team.

This shows no comprehension of what agents do for their clients.

don137
02-19-2003, 05:05 PM
The agent is upset because he was plannong on cashing in on the signing bonus Price would of got from a long term deal. If Price does not sign a long term deal then the player goes to another agent next year then McGee gets squat...

Shiny Chicken
02-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I'd like to see what Price himself has to say.... I'm sick of his agent... all along he's seemed like an ass.

Judge
02-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by don137
The agent is upset because he was plannong on cashing in on the signing bonus Price would of got from a long term deal. If Price does not sign a long term deal then the agent goes to another agent next year then McGee gets squat...

No $h!+.

Why blame the agent for that? It's his job to maximize the player's contract as high as possible. Don't blame the agent for doing his job.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:07 PM
LOL!!! I have total comprehension of what agents do.

I aska the question again...what good does it do to get the top dollar if it hurts other players chances and the team in general?

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:07 PM
There is a point where it becomes greed and ego.

Judge
02-19-2003, 05:09 PM
LOL!!! I have total comprehension of what agents do.

I aska the question again...what good does it do to get the top dollar if it hurts other players chances and the team in general?

I ask the question again" why should the agent care about that, UNLESS his client, the player, TELLS him to care. If his client, the player, tells him to get the best deal out there, then the agent's DUTY is to do that- teams be damned.

Wake up.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:10 PM
What good does it do a player to play on team financially handcuffed by his contract?

It's not all about the money. These guys want to win AND make money.

Judge
02-19-2003, 05:12 PM
What good does it do a player to play on team financially handcuffed by his contract?

It's not all about the money. These guys want to win AND make money.

Says you. Maybe some players agree with you, but I'm sure there are alot of guys who would not- just give them the $$.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
How many times have you seen guys from college be willing to sign reasonable contracts so they could just get on the practice field and learn, be held back by agents looking for a huge contract? If an agent was looking out for his client's best interest, he'd do what his CLIENT wanted and let his CLIENT sign the deal so he could start learning the game. Instead, you see kids going through nasty holdouts and they fall behind and everybody loses.

Shiny Chicken
02-19-2003, 05:19 PM
winning means more money though... take Takeo Spikes for instance... he could makea lot of money in Cinci... they'll definitely pay him a lot... he's probably one of the best LB's in the league... but you don't see him in any commercials or anything of that sort. He's on a losing team... thus, no marketing deals... no one wants tobe associated with a loser. However, a top linebacker on an up and coming team, like Buffalo, is likely to get much better publicity... more and better marketing deals, and on top of tha gets to play with a winner.

Judge
02-19-2003, 05:20 PM
AWM- What's thecolor of the sky in your world with those rose colored glasses on?

I'm not judging- just stating fact. Understand what agents do before you unfairly generalize like you are. I'm out of here /

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:20 PM
That's what I'm talking about :up:

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:21 PM
My my, Judge...did I strike a nerve? :D

Bulldog
02-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Judge, are you some sort of expert when it comes to agents. To sum it up: the agent doesen't give a damn about anyone but himself. Screw his agent!

don137
02-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Maybe Judge is Tim Mcgee. AWM is trying to have a civil discussion and Judge is getting all fired up...

Ebenezer
02-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I side with Judge on this one...it doesn't matter one iota what the team does on the field in his world. The agents world is maximization of profit...in this case that profit is the players pocketbook bottom line...if you were the agent for Peerless Price would you care how the Bills did...there will always be somebody there to give him a contract...the agent must get the best contract (i.e., the most money)...it sets precedent for the next player signing...and so on.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't make stupid comments about being "disappointed", that's for sure.

TD said he wants to negotiate with Price for a long term contract. What's to be disappointed at? Even Peerless himself, said he didn't mind being tagged if it meant he would get a long term deal.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I also think that in the world of the salary cap and the yearly turnover in the NFL, it's not the smartest thing for an agent to try and always get the highest possible amount for a player.

How many players have negotiated mega dollar deals only to find themselves released after a few years? A little smaller contract might have allowed them to stay and make more money in the end.

don137
02-19-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm not disputing what Judge is saying. He is just getting a little too fired up over this. Agents want the big contract today not tomorrow because it is more money for them now as well as knowing a player can go to another agent and potentially lose out. The better the contract also gives the marketability when recruiting other athletes especially with the draft coming up there are a lot of athletes signing with agents these days.
Many players also sign for less to be with a certain team much to the chagrin of the agent. Moulds could of received more in FA but wanted to stay in Buffalo. As stated by Chicken Spikes is another player wants to be with a winner instead accepting playing for Cincinnati no matter what the salary.

don137
02-19-2003, 05:57 PM
I also think that in the world of the salary cap and the yearly turnover in the NFL, it's not the smartest thing for an agent to try and always get the highest possible amount for a player.

How many players have negotiated mega dollar deals only to find themselves released after a few years? A little smaller contract might have allowed them to stay and make more money in the end.

Good point AWM...

Bulldog
02-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I side with Judge on this one...it doesn't matter one iota what the team does on the field in his world. The agents world is maximization of profit...in this case that profit is the players pocketbook bottom line...if you were the agent for Peerless Price would you care how the Bills did...there will always be somebody there to give him a contract...the agent must get the best contract (i.e., the most money)...it sets precedent for the next player signing...and so on.

No one is confused as to what role the agent is supposed to fill. I feel judge is wrong in defending the fact that the majority of these guys are pure scum. The only thing that matters to most of them is money, and in my book that pretty much makes them scum.

Ebenezer
02-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Doesn't matter AWM...by the time a player is released the agent already has his money...agents would make out more if their players were cut and had to resign again everyear...more commission.

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 05:59 PM
:hail: Bulldog

ArcticWildMan
02-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Doesn't matter AWM...by the time a player is released the agent already has his money...agents would make out more if their players were cut and had to resign again everyear...more commission.

That backs up what Bulldog said...agents are SCUM :snicker:

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 06:03 PM

after reading this whole thread.. i was just gonna say basically that..

but on the agents side.. his biggest thing is the signing bonus.. that is why you see so many hold outs over that specifically.. and the agents/players rely on that so much because that is the ONLY part of the deal that is guarenteed...

the agent is pissed because he makes obviously much more if price signs a long term deal with a fat signing bonus than one year at 5 mill..

but if peerless signs that big contract, he also becomes a target to be cut in 2-3 years when he underperforms for just a season, or suffers an injury or whatever..

it is a double edged sword no matter what..

say if price signs a moderate deal, in the range of 3.5 mill a year and a 6 million signing bonus.. guess what..if he plays like crap, he will still be gone, and he would be thinking, damn it.. i shoulda gotten more while i could have.

i can see both sides for sure.

don137
02-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Eb, more often than not players that get cut because of there huge salary cap number will get less money than what there salary would of been had they stayed with there present team.
Look at who the Bills cut due to salary cap the last couple of years because of salary cap casualties (Thurman Thomas, John Fina, Rob Johnson, Ted Washington, John Holecek, etc). Not many (maybe Flutie and Bruce) signed for more than what there contract was for taking into consideration signing bonuses.
The big name marquee players like Deion Sanders was able to cash in on the signing bonuses but he is more the exception and not the norm.

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog

The only thing that matters to most of them is money, and in my book that pretty much makes them scum.

that can be said about almost every player and every agent.. and every general manager.. they are obsessed with NOT spending money... trying to save the cap.. such is the struggle between agents/players and the team gms..

you may think it makes them scum, but a agents job is to get money for his client.. the most he can for his client.. and also to keep his client happy.. if he isnt happy, the player finds a new one..

look at donivan darious.. his agent told him he couldnt get 5 mill a year as a safety.. darious fired him for it..

you may hate it and think it makes them scum, but they are simply just doing their job..

people keep saying that agents just care about their own paycheck... well caring about their own paycheck goes hand in hand with caring about their clients paycheck, seeing as how that is a percentage..

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
they cant all be jerry mcguire :lol:

don137
02-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Eb, my apologies. I read on another thread the agent gets there money upfront so it makes sense they work contract that are heavy in the final years of the contract with a big signing bonus because the more the more contracts get signed the more money for them so getting cut helps the agent.
Question. do they get a full commission on restructured deals?

Ebenezer
02-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Question. do they get a full commission on restructured deals?

Excellent question...I have no clue. My bet is that they get nothing for just restructuring except for probably their basic fee for paperwork and hours...anything that deals with new money, i.e., an extension with new bonuses...that they would get a percentage of.

TigerJ
02-19-2003, 08:33 PM
It's interesting to note that when Cincinnate transitioned
Spikes we all groused about the Bengals, and in support of Spikes and (by association) his agent. Now the shoe is on the other foot I guess. I don't blame McGee for feeling disappointed. Greed is integral to being an agent. I assume that no negotiation means no commission. I doubt that any contract McGee could have negotiated for Price in free agency would be any more lucrative. The only difference is a franchise offer (as far as I know) doesn't include a signing bonus (ie. no guarranteed money). Both players and agents love that signing bonus. I do think McGee will get his chance to do some negotiating, either with Buffalo or a team that trades for Price.

justasportsfan
02-19-2003, 08:58 PM
:hail: Bulldog

AWM , you're bowing to bulldogs ass!

:lolpoint: :hail: Bulldog

Judge
02-19-2003, 09:31 PM

Exactly. Well said Eb. And accurate. That's what being an agent is all about.

Judge
02-19-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm not disputing what Judge is saying. He is just getting a little too fired up over this. Agents want the big contract today not tomorrow because it is more money for them now as well as knowing a player can go to another agent and potentially lose out. The better the contract also gives the marketability when recruiting other athletes especially with the draft coming up there are a lot of athletes signing with agents these days.
Many players also sign for less to be with a certain team much to the chagrin of the agent. Moulds could of received more in FA but wanted to stay in Buffalo. As stated by Chicken Spikes is another player wants to be with a winner instead accepting playing for Cincinnati no matter what the salary.

I get "fired up" to have some fun on here. I never get angry w/ what's said to me, but am not afraid to speak my mind. I think AWM's view of what agents do is completely wrong, and have said why.

If Moulds told his agent that he'd prefer to be the big man on campus in Buffalo, even if it meant that he'd pass up more $$ elsewhere, then the agent has an obligation to honor his client's wishes, even if it meant losing some commission.

Likewise, if Price wanted the best contract out there, then the agent would be obligated to look for that and let Price decide what to do. The franchise tag prevents that from happening. Understandably, he's ticked, but that's the rule in this CBA.

What I find ridiculous is that people blame the agent for this. The agent has no obligation to help a particular team out in any way. The agent isn't on the Bills payroll. Thus, criticisms of how agents don't do the right thing are off base in this regard.

PS- From what I can tell, the goal is to maximize up front signing bonus money that is paid right away. the goal in this era of NFL is signing bonus, not back-end loaded contracts that allow a player to stay longer. The franchise tag puts a dnet in a player getting that big payout.

Judge
02-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

that can be said about almost every player and every agent.. and every general manager.. they are obsessed with NOT spending money... trying to save the cap.. such is the struggle between agents/players and the team gms..

you may think it makes them scum, but a agents job is to get money for his client.. the most he can for his client.. and also to keep his client happy.. if he isnt happy, the player finds a new one..

look at donivan darious.. his agent told him he couldnt get 5 mill a year as a safety.. darious fired him for it..

you may hate it and think it makes them scum, but they are simply just doing their job..

people keep saying that agents just care about their own paycheck... well caring about their own paycheck goes hand in hand with caring about their clients paycheck, seeing as how that is a percentage..

Brilliance! Well said tatonka.

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 10:26 PM
well thank you.. i have been accused of alot of things.. but brilliance is a first! :lol:

The_Philster
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
just make sure you mark it down on the calendar, Tatonka :chuckle:

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 10:33 PM
:pee: