PDA

View Full Version : Should Roscoe be doing Flying Superman type Dives in Camp this year?

Meathead
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
and please no fracturing

Jan Reimers
07-22-2006, 02:07 PM
How can you tell - or force - an athlete not to be athletic. In the heat of the moment, he is going to do whatever he needs to make a play.

The_Philster
07-22-2006, 02:13 PM
If he's gonna shy away from diving after balls because he's afraid of getting hurt, put him in the stands because he won't belong on the field

socalfan
07-22-2006, 03:08 PM
and please no fracturing

If he can't take a tumble, how will he ever take a hit? And if he can't take a hit, what good is he as a football player?

LtBillsFan66
07-22-2006, 03:43 PM
How can you tell - or force - an athlete not to be athletic. In the heat of the moment, he is going to do whatever he needs to make a play.
:bf1:

LtBillsFan66
07-22-2006, 03:43 PM
If he's gonna shy away from diving after balls because he's afraid of getting hurt, put him in the stands because he won't belong on the field
:bf1:

G. Host
07-22-2006, 03:56 PM
The mouse will do it even though he shouldn't
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663523.JPG http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663523.JPG http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663523.JPG http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663298.JPG

dannyek71
07-22-2006, 09:18 PM
i remember hearing that athletes are more apt to get hurt when they play "not to get hurt"

Meathead
07-23-2006, 04:44 AM
ah i love it

once again i bask in the sunshine of being the only one right

the logic is identical to what it was last year - if roscoe flying around is the right thing to do, i want every wr doing it

c'mon lee, dive for that out of bounds ball during practice!!!

defeat that logic in your argument

Jan Reimers
07-23-2006, 07:54 AM
With your logic, they should all wear skirts and dance around the field.

Football is a violent contact sport and you have to let the players get ready for the season. And generally, you play like you practice. If you want Roscoe to make diving catches during the season, you better tolerate them in camp.

YardRat
07-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm assuming that everybody who disagrees with Meat on this one also is OK with Vincent taking Losman out for most of his rookie season with the hit he put on him in practice?

The_Philster
07-23-2006, 08:04 AM
so far..7 in favor of him being a football player in the NFL...and 2 in favor of him playing touch football :scratch:

Jan Reimers
07-23-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm assuming that everybody who disagrees with Meat on this one also is OK with Vincent taking Losman out for most of his rookie season with the hit he put on him in practice?
Diving to make a catch and hitting a "hands off" guy (who's not expecting it) as he's going out of bounds are two completely different things

mysticsoto
07-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm not in favor of him playing touch football, but I prefer him to play smart. He's no use to the team if he's going to be on IR every season. In my opinion, there's a difference betweem a great catch and a stupid one...

Jan Reimers
07-23-2006, 09:40 AM
I guess I'm in favor of letting football players play football.

YardRat
07-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Diving to make a catch and hitting a "hands off" guy (who's not expecting it) as he's going out of bounds are two completely different things

With your logic, they should all wear skirts and dance around the field.

Football is a violent contact sport and you have to let the players get ready for the season. And generally, you play like you practice.

Okay.

Meathead
07-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm not in favor of him playing touch football, but I prefer him to play smart. He's no use to the team if he's going to be on IR every season. In my opinion, there's a difference betweem a great catch and a stupid one...
HOORAY!!!

finally

my god, where is this "if i dont want him unduely risking injury in practice that means i want them to walk around the field with pillows strapped to their body" logic coming from

that is so freaking stupid. its the same exact thing that happened last year and i thought just maybe people would have wised up by now

but nooooooooooooooo

look, you practice very hard, but youve got a professional responsibility to be available WHEN THE GAMES COUNT. so you find that line where you are trying as hard as you can but not to the point you take foolish risks with your health

and again, the logic you CANNOT defeat is if thats the proper way to practice why isnt randy moss, tory holt, and lee evans doing it?

when there is a fumble in practice why dont the guys all jump on each other and try to gouge their eyes out at the bottom of the pile? it happens in a game, doesnt it? with your logic they should be doing full contact tackles every time the qb completes a pass in practice. why dont they do that?

BECAUSE ITS STOOPID

and its unprofessional

any other takers in need of a slapping?

:bringit:

Amare
07-23-2006, 11:51 AM
SCO is raw!

JD
07-23-2006, 03:02 PM
poop. let the kid play ball!

Historian
07-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I want to see dirt on his uniform!

mybills
07-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Jeesh, Meathead. Let's not be over protective. They know how to land a dive, don't they?

Jan Reimers
07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Meathead, did you ever play any sports? If you did, you would know that young, super-competitive, super-athletic guys are going to go at it 100% to prove who is best. There is fearsome competition among Bills' receivers (1) to even make the roster and then (2) to get playing time.

And you expect a young, inexperienced (and not yet established) guy like Parrish not to dive, jump, roll, scratch, claw and do everything else in his power to make plays and stand out from the crowd?

Meathead
07-23-2006, 06:30 PM
ok you have made the only other point worth consideration, at least that ive thought of so far. i was waiting to see if anyone made the point and im glad you did

if a guy is on the bubble than perhaps you could condone a leaving it all on the practice field approach. the logic there is that if he doesnt he might not make the cuts and therefore would also be of no use to the team

roscoe was not in that danger. he would have had to really screw up not to make the team. and certainly he could still show tremendous effort while also showing the judgement to not go too far and unduely risk injury. if he had pulled back just a little he probably would have not gotten hurt and still comfortably made the team

you gotta admit, he showed some remarkable flashes of talent and could have been a difference maker in more games had he played. i cant wait to see what he can do with a year under his belt and i would be royally pissed if he put himself out again in the same manner

LifetimeBillsFan
07-24-2006, 07:20 AM
There is something else to take into consideration as well and that is that, when you are playing, you are not thinking about your responsibilities to the team, etc., you are focused completely on the play and what you are doing, what you are supposed to do within the play, etc. and when the ball is there, you just react to it as you have been taught and trained to because the reaction is built in and is a part of your athleticism. You can restrain it to a certain extent, but not completely and not in every circumstance.

Let me give you an example unrelated to football:
Every pitcher in baseball has been told since he was knee-high to a grass-hopper not to reach for a baseball that has been hit back up the middle with his bare-hand. Yet, at least once a week, there is some MLB pitcher who reflexively reaches down with his bare-hand when some hitter smacks a hot shot up the middle. Why? Because it is a reflex and he is not thinking, he is reacting.

If Parrish had injured himself fooling around on the field or trying to do something that was not a part of the natural flow of the game or diving for a ball 5 yards out of bounds (WRs are trained and work lots of hours on trying to keep their feet in bounds while catching the ball), etc., then you might have a point. But, that's not what happened. Parrish dove for a ball down the middle that was over his head. When you're his size that's a ball that you've been going after all of your life--in fact, he wouldn't have an NFL contract if he hadn't. If you watched the video of that play, it was totally a reaction on his part--he was locked onto the ball and simply went for it. Yes, he laid out for the ball, but that's something that wide receivers--and even outfielders who have no padding on to protect themselves--do all of the time. It's part of the game, part of what they do, it's part of their job. And, 99% of the time they get up afterwards, brush themselves off and are no worse for wear. Unfortunately, in this case, Parrish came down awkwardly on his wrist and got injured--it happens: it happened to the Yankees' Hideki Matsui this year in baseball--but it's a freak accident. And, it's not something that you can tell a player not to do because, even if you tell him that, when the ball is in the air and he begins to react to it to catch it, that's the last thing in the world that is going to come to his mind. Besides which, if you want him to try to make that or a similar play in the regular season, you don't want to take that reaction out of him--you want him to zone in on the ball and react to it like Parrish did.

While it is true that these are professional athletes who are able to think and move at speeds the average person can only dream about, what separates the elite athletes at the professional level is also their reactions and ability to focus on nothing other than the ball. You can't and for the most part you would not want to take that away from the athlete because, if you do or if you try to, you diminish his athleticism and ability to play at that high level. That's part of why they say that players who think about not getting injured are the most likely to get injured--not just because it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, but because the process of thinking takes away from their reaction time and their ability to avoid injuries.

Jan Reimers
07-24-2006, 11:10 AM
ok you have made the only other point worth consideration, at least that ive thought of so far. i was waiting to see if anyone made the point and im glad you did

if a guy is on the bubble than perhaps you could condone a leaving it all on the practice field approach. the logic there is that if he doesnt he might not make the cuts and therefore would also be of no use to the team

roscoe was not in that danger. he would have had to really screw up not to make the team. and certainly he could still show tremendous effort while also showing the judgement to not go too far and unduely risk injury. if he had pulled back just a little he probably would have not gotten hurt and still comfortably made the team

you gotta admit, he showed some remarkable flashes of talent and could have been a difference maker in more games had he played. i cant wait to see what he can do with a year under his belt and i would be royally pissed if he put himself out again in the same manner
Obviously, I don't want to see him get hurt either, and agree that he's a terrific talent. I just think he's going to go all out to try to win the 2nd WR position, rather than being consigned to the slot - or worse yet, the 4th or 5th receiver.

Don't forget, he's a small guy who most people feel will never be an every down WR. He'll do everything he can to convince at least the coaching staff otherwise.

Billsrock4life
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM

well said

justasportsfan
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Parrish can and should make all those moves Jet Li made in Romeo Must Die. :up: