PDA

View Full Version : Offseason: so far so good

qcsabresfan84
07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Assuming that we don't trade danny Briere or choose not to pick up the one year deal, i feel like our offseason has gone great so far. Our defense in locked up and looking really solid for a couple of years with players like tallinder and campbell getting resigned, they're both solid defenseman who havent even hit the prime of thier careers yet. Adding spacek more than takes care of the loss of McKee and resigning Numminem was a real clutch move to keep our defense consistent. So the blue line looks great for the upcoming season. On the front, keeping danny (hopefully), and resigning Kotalik and Roy is a great start to the offseason, which still has a ways to go. All i'm saying is that it's too early to panic, and so far everything has gone pretty much smoothly. So far, i feel great about next season, anyone else with me?

jamze132
07-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I will be upset if they decide Briere isn't worth $5 mil.

ddaryl
07-25-2006, 03:11 AM
The concern is not for this offseason. It's the Sabres ability to actually keep a Stanley Cup worthy team intact, and its future ability to remain competitive. The Sabres are still in a major financial disadvantage, and that pretty much assures we'll be in trouble in the near future.

IMO, you cannot exchange players on a successful team and expect to reamain successful. Chemistry is extremely important and can take years to achieve.

While we haven't lost many players...yet, and we did sign Spacek, but what's going to happen when Arbitration continues to hand out salaries that force the Sabres to let another player or 2 to walk. If we lose 4-5 players off of last years squad we will not be the same team IMO. Will you still feel all warm and fuzzy about the Sabres future ?

Personally i think our offseason has been depressing and the realities by which the Sabres operate make it hard to see a bright future.

YardRat
07-25-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm OK so far, but as jamze posted...if they don't pay Briere what he's worth it will be disappointing.

IMO...Darcy missed a golden opportunity by letting the Danny contract go to arbitration. He could have gone the fifth year, paid between 5 and 6mil over the five years, and thus set the bar for the rest of the team salary wise and give the impression to the rest of the team that he's somewhat willing to pay the players a salary commensurate with their worth.

Earthquake Enyart
07-25-2006, 07:05 AM
I concur. I'm sick of the Chicken Littles.

Don't forget that we'll get something for Biron. That might be the key to the whole thing.

SABURZFAN
07-25-2006, 07:45 AM
i like the offseason so far.i hated to see mckee and grier go but we all knew that we couldn't keep everybody.i liked the way regier went about shoring up our defense.we have biron as trade bait.somebody will need a goalie.this whole briere thing is not as big of a deal as some people think.i think we could trade him and still contend.we just need a goal scorer in return.we don't need to use the whole salary cap.regier proved that last year.he has had some solid drafting that are starting to pay dividends.the system in rochester is as strong as ever.we had some guys called up from there that played their asses off.

JD
07-29-2006, 06:30 PM
So far, SO GREAT! :up:

**** McKee! :D