PDA

View Full Version : The End of the Fan-Based Cap Page?

clumping platelets
07-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Well, it appears the Nazi's of the NFL/NFLPA have decided that the fans, the ones who pay for everything, can no longer access salary information on the NFLPA website. This is a sad day for capologists' like me......I plan on writing a letter to Troy Vincent, President of the NFLPA union, and ask him why it's so necessary to limit access to such information. I'll do the best I can to provide the information as accurate as possible but it's likely that my cap page will be gone if this does not change before next offseason

:sadwalk:

Amare
07-24-2006, 11:38 PM
****ers!

gr8slayer
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
That's gay

Devin
07-25-2006, 12:01 AM
thats pretty lame.

billsburgh
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
:down: that sucks Clump. I see no reason for that.

clumping platelets
07-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Neither do I :(

hammerbillsfan
07-25-2006, 12:39 AM
What a load of ****!

G. Host
07-25-2006, 12:53 AM
One additional reason NFL is giving to turn off fans. :down:

They will probably try to charge for the info.

LtFinFan66
07-25-2006, 01:02 AM
big ole' crock of ****!!

Historian
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Could it be just a temporary thing, Clumpster?

clumping platelets
07-25-2006, 06:31 AM
I doubt it.........hopefully, we "cyberspace capologists" can find another way to find the info we need

mybills
07-25-2006, 06:42 AM
cp, is there any way to calculate it without their info? :nerd:
:chuckle:

Earthquake Enyart
07-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Eb was taking all the credit for it anyhow.

clumping platelets
07-25-2006, 06:57 AM
cp, is there any way to calculate it without their info? :nerd:
:chuckle:

If it's reported in some media outlet like the Buffalo Snooze or on ESPN.......but they rarely report numbers in detail

clumping platelets
07-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Eb was taking all the credit for it anyhow.

That backstabber :mad:

Jan Reimers
07-25-2006, 07:00 AM
The No Fun League strikes again. Instead of being grateful to the fans who have made it the number 1 professional sport in this country, the NFL never misses an opportunity to insult us.

jamze132
07-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Well Clump, if they shut you down, thanks for all the hard work you put into it for us so we as fans know exactly where our favorite team stands financially. True fans love to know the ins and outs of professional football and the operations behind the scene. I will miss having a glimpse into the organization. Thanks Clump.

Jeff1220
07-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Another reason to call the NFL the NoFunLeague. I forget which game, but during the World Cup, a team scored a goal and the team was all celebrating extensively. They were jumping around and piling on and so forth. The announcer says, "Oh that's sure to draw a 15 yd. unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Oh wait, this isn't the NFL, it's the World Cup - they're allowed to have some fun." I felt it was dead on.
Anyway, sorry about the news Clump. Hoefully something gets resolved.

Michael82
07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
What a bunch of bull****!!! :mad:

OpIv37
07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
On one hand, it sucks that fans can't get this information because it's important for understanding the state of the team.

On the other hand, would you want everyone and their brother to be able to go online and see how much money you make?

Statman
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
On one hand, it sucks that fans can't get this information because it's important for understanding the state of the team.

On the other hand, would you want everyone and their brother to be able to go online and see how much money you make?

Why not? The info is out there for executives of publicly traded companies. It's pro sports. When you are celeb or pro athlete, you give up certain things. That's one of them.

Statman
07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
One additional reason NFL is giving to turn off fans. :down:

They will probably try to charge for the info.
Yeah, but the fans keep coming and they'll pay for the info too.

GREAT work with the page to date Clump!!!

Billsrock4life
07-25-2006, 09:41 AM
thats bull****

Ickybaluky
07-25-2006, 09:54 AM

I would think it to be in the NFLPA's interest to have that information be public. If everyone knows the details of everyone else's contract, that makes for a stronger negotiating stance.

Also, there is precedence when you look at the other leagues. Salary information is public knowledge in MLB, the NBA and NHL. Nobody really tries to hide anything.

THATHURMANATOR
07-25-2006, 10:07 AM
what a joke

EricStratton
07-25-2006, 10:28 AM

I agree Op.

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 10:33 AM
does it really matter one way or another ?? all that knowing numbers do is create arm chair GM's that call for a players release based on cap figures and cap savings, though salary info maybe available for other pro sports, you dont see teams saying things such as Shaq better be cut to save $10 mil on the cap this year

OpIv37
07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
does it really matter one way or another ?? all that knowing numbers do is create arm chair GM's that call for a players release based on cap figures and cap savings, though salary info maybe available for other pro sports, you dont see teams saying things such as Shaq better be cut to save $10 mil on the cap this year

no one wants to cut $10 million players when they're doing well. When you get a situation like Moulds this year, it's a different story entirely.

When a player who isn't performing has a big cap number, it limits the team's ability to improve and/or stabilize the guys they already have. If fans don't know cap numbers, teams can have worthless players sucking cap space without any public or media pressure.

R. Rich
07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
no one wants to cut $10 million players when they're doing well. When you get a situation like Moulds this year, it's a different story entirely.

When a player who isn't performing has a big cap number, it limits the team's ability to improve and/or stabilize the guys they already have. If fans don't know cap numbers, teams can have worthless players sucking cap space without any public or media pressure.
Good thing we've had cap information for Clump to figure out. Otherwise, the Bills would never cave in to the pressure from the Zone.

Michael82
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
IMO, the NFL saw something that has the potential to make some more money for them, so they decided to take it off being free and will bring it back and charge people for it.

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
to me what would make the game more fun is less *****ing about things you have no control over and less stories of what kind of toilet paper a player uses and just more good play on the field, who cares who makes what, this is a country of free enterprise and if you can command large salaries more power to you

R. Rich
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
to me what would make the game more fun is less *****ing about things you have no control over and less stories of what kind of toilet paper a player uses and just more good play on the field, who cares who makes what, this is a country of free enterprise and if you can command large salaries more power to you
So, you want to shut down the BillsZone?

Damn you, Patrick.

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
So, you want to shut down the BillsZone?

Damn you, Patrick.

just lose the negativity, wait that would shut down the zone and then what would OP do, good thing I just block out people like that

OpIv37
07-25-2006, 10:51 AM

if there was no salary cap, I'd agree with you. But there is a salary cap, so when one player commands a large salary, that's less money that can go to every other player. If the Yankees want to pay someone $11 million a season to do jack ****, that's their business because it only hurts the team's bottom line- as long as they're also shelling out for players who are performing, the team will be fine.

If the Bills are paying a combined $20 million to Mike Williams and Eric Moulds, that's $20 million that's not being used to keep other players or bring in FA help at our many positions of need. It hurts the product on the field and the fans have every reason to care.

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
if there was no salary cap, I'd agree with you. But there is a salary cap, so when one player commands a large salary, that's less money that can go to every other player. If the Yankees want to pay someone $11 million a season to do jack ****, that's their business because it only hurts the team's bottom line- as long as they're also shelling out for players who are performing, the team will be fine.

If the Bills are paying a combined $20 million to Mike Williams and Eric Moulds, that's $20 million that's not being used to keep other players or bring in FA help at our many positions of need. It hurts the product on the field and the fans have every reason to care.

and what does all your *****ing and complaining solve ???

OpIv37
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
and what does all your *****ing and complaining solve ???

For starters, it makes me feel a whole hell of a lot better. What does your positive outlook on a ****ty team solve?

Does my personal *****ing and complaining change anything about the team? You homers say anything's possible so I suppose there's a chance, but I highly doubt anyone at OBD is reading my posts here and making decisions accordingly.

Does fan and media pressure affect the team's decision-making? At least to a certain point, it does. The organization can't completely alienate the fans, and if we went into this season with Mike Williams counting $9 million against the cap, there would be a lot of pissed off people (myself included).

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
so you feel that irritating others for your own personal gain is an acceptable behavior ??

OpIv37
07-25-2006, 11:10 AM
so you feel that irritating others for your own personal gain is an acceptable behavior ??

I think that message boards are an appropriate outlet for frustration, specifically a Bills message board is an appropriate outlet for the frustration this team has caused over the past decade or so.

I don't tell people how to feel about my posts. I don't decide if they read my posts, if they put me on ignore, or if they come to this message board at all.

So if my posts are irritating people, they have plenty of methods to avoid reading them.

L.A. Playa
07-25-2006, 11:20 AM
I think that message boards are an appropriate outlet for frustration, specifically a Bills message board is an appropriate outlet for the frustration this team has caused over the past decade or so.

I don't tell people how to feel about my posts. I don't decide if they read my posts, if they put me on ignore, or if they come to this message board at all.

So if my posts are irritating people, they have plenty of methods to avoid reading them.

I see