PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo News - Defense

ghz in pittsburgh
07-25-2006, 09:29 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060725/1040430.asp?tbd1040430.asp

D-line play, indeed, will have the biggest impact on our defense this year. I'm not talking about why we didn't draft a Tackle first as some might fault the Bills; I'm thinking about the play of Tripplett, the improvement of Anderson, and someone from Kelsay/Denny due stepping forward. About the only consistent play you can expect is from Schobel right now.

If you look closer, you may expect Tripplett to perform near his Indy level, which the Bills will gladly take. Kelsay and Denny can give you steady run defense. Anderson's improvement will be the key. By his own admission, he started to get the hang of it late last season, feeling he can compete at this level. 3rd year is the defining year for D-Tackles. So we shall see if we at least have an adequate man in Anderson there.

By the sounds of it, Fewell didn't like the starters in off-season programs. So I'll say we are a little behind there. Maybe McCargo or Williams surprises us in training camp, but it's a very long shot.

The way I see it, the Bills likely will start slow there but improving as the season goes on.

Jan Reimers
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Kelsay is quite a bit lighter, which should make him better at getting to the QB, and the development of Crowell may also allow us to use Posey as a situational pass rusher.

I think Triplett will thrive in the starting roll he never had at Indy, Anderson will have progressed some, and Williams may very well surprise a lot of people.

And Kollar is recognized as a very good coach, so I really feel that our D line may end up being better than many people imagine.

gil
07-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I like the idea of trying Posey at LDE, it almost couldn't be worse than the production we've gotten the past bunch of years there - plus it gets either Haggans or Crowell on the field more - maybe one of them can make more plays at SSLB than Posey has managed (I know Crowell is supposed to be undersized for the position, but the man can play)

Night Train
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Kelsay is quite a bit lighter, which should make him better at getting to the QB, and the development of Crowell may also allow us to use Posey as a situational pass rusher.

I think Triplett will thrive in the starting roll he never had at Indy, Anderson will have progressed some, and Williams may very well surprise a lot of people.

And Kollar is recognized as a very good coach, so I really feel that our D line may end up being better than many people imagine.

It's the D Line to me. It's my co-primary focus ( with the OL ) during the pre-season games. Camp is more individual drills.

On the D line, I'll be looking at Triplett, McCargo and Kyle Williams in the middle. Success in the middle of the line works like a Domino effect on the rest of the D unit.

John Doe
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM

My thoghts as well.

Plus, the system is supposed to be very friendly to young players like McCargo, Williams, and Anderson.

The Bills could end up having a better than average defensive line this season.