PDA

View Full Version : Football Outsiders NFL Offensive Line Rankings

patmoran2006
07-25-2006, 08:18 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5794000

Bills arent actually ranked as low as I thought they would be, which Homers- would make this only a half-****ty article by a semi-******ed writer.

YardRat
07-25-2006, 08:37 PM
22 is not bad considering all the heat they got last year. I'm surprised Miami is ranked in the top ten.

Goobylal
07-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Great, more useless pre-season rankings!

LtFinFan66
07-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised Miami is ranked in the top ten.Me too though like they mentioned we were 5th in only allowing 26 sacks....I didn't even realize that

don137
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
No way Miami's line is top 10 material...Writer lost all creditibilty. I am not saying it is worse than Buffalo but come on that line is a joke.

HHURRICANE
07-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Great, more useless pre-season rankings!

You got that right!! Atlanta is ranked at 10 but if you listened to local radio here you would know that our line is really bad. That's pretty funny.

Buffalo is right about where they should be, 6th from the bottom.

Goobylal
07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Me too though like they mentioned we were 5th in only allowing 26 sacks....I didn't even realize that
Frerotte rarely took a lot of sacks in his career. Looking at the seasons where he started more than 8 games, he took a little less than 1.7 sacks a game, which works out to almost 27 sacks in a 16 game season. So it was likely more due to him than anything else.

Goobylal
07-25-2006, 10:49 PM
You got that right!! Atlanta is ranked at 10 but if you listened to local radio here you would know that our line is really bad. That's pretty funny.

Buffalo is right about where they should be, 6th from the bottom.
Sure, based on pre-season sentiment. When all is said and done, it will be a much better O-line than people thought it would be. Wait and see.

Tatonka
07-25-2006, 10:57 PM
about miami.. :rofl:

Left guard Jeno James was the most durable and consistent Miami lineman in 2005, while right guard Bennie Anderson has great strength at the point of attack.

LtFinFan66
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Frerotte rarely took a lot of sacks in his career. Looking at the seasons where he started more than 8 games, he took a little less than 1.7 sacks a game, which works out to almost 27 sacks in a 16 game season. So it was likely more due to him than anything else.He sure took a nice one in that game against you guys....he got knocked into next week on that safety

Goobylal
07-26-2006, 06:23 AM
He sure took a nice one in that game against you guys....he got knocked into next week on that safety
Yeah. That one ended up winning the game for you guys, because Rosenfels play lights-out in relief.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2006, 06:32 AM
No way Miami's line is top 10 material...Writer lost all creditibilty. I am not saying it is worse than Buffalo but come on that line is a joke.
I agree. How can you rank a line number 9 overall while mentioning Bennie Anderson and L.J. Shelton as key guys?

!Papacrunk!
07-26-2006, 06:38 AM
No way Miami's line is top 10 material...Writer lost all creditibilty. I am not saying it is worse than Buffalo but come on that line is a joke. Unlike a lot of other 'rankings' they at least use a system involving stats, not just some "hack" writer drinking a few to come up with these rankings
These rankings are based to a large extent on Football Outsiders' offensive line statistics: Adjusted Line Yards: Gives different weights to runs of different lengths to partially distinguish between the responsibility of the running backs and that of the offensive line. 10+ Yards: Percentage of a team's rushing yards more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Run Stuffs: Percentage of runs that gain no yards (on first down); otherwise less than one-fourth the yards needed for another first down. Adjusted Sack Rate: Percentage of sacks per pass play adjusted for down, distance, and strength of the opposing defense. And if peeps want even more detail to how they came to these rankings, they have this site as well that really breaks it down: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php I realize there are a lot of peeps that hate the Phins (I also realize the board I'm on,) at least these rankings are based on something, not just the whim of a writer

don137
07-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Unlike a lot of other 'rankings' they at least use a system involving stats, not just some "hack" writer drinking a few to come up with these rankings

I am not saying stats like how many sacks give up are not important but they only tell a part of the story. There are many many more factors such as is the QB mobile or not, what is the average release time of the QB, sacks per pass attempt , does the QB throw the ball away when under pressure or try to force a throw or hold on to it too long, does a team have a very reliable outlet receiver like a very good RB or TE (Miami has an excellent outlet receiver in McMichael)and one other intangible is when does a team throw. If a team is way behind then they are in obvious passing downs so a defense is teeing up after the QB and are prone to give up more sacks. If it is a run first team like Miami, teams gear towards the run and not the pass.

Goobylal
07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Unlike a lot of other 'rankings' they at least use a system involving stats, not just some "hack" writer drinking a few to come up with these rankings And if peeps want even more detail to how they came to these rankings, they have this site as well that really breaks it down: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php I realize there are a lot of peeps that hate the Phins (I also realize the board I'm on,) at least these rankings are based on something, not just the whim of a writer
Well as I showed above, Frerotte is a QB who rarely takes sacks, which is something footballoutsiders.com didn't take into account. And Culpepper has traditionally taken a lot of sacks each year, and now that he'll have to be more of a pocket-passer, that number will likely go up.