PDA

View Full Version : We need Losman to start and play well!!

HHURRICANE
07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
No matter how you feel about JP he needs to start and emerge as our starting QB for the next few years. The argument that if he tanks and we can end up with Brday Quinn is ridiculous.

First off, even if we some how got Brady Quinn there is no guarantee that he can play in the NFL. Assuming he can, he will have little to no impact in year one so you are looking at 2008 before we get any kind of return on our investment. Getting him is a huge "if" because we would have to end up winning 2 games which just won't happen.

Second, our DE's are so week that we can't afford to waste a pick on QB. Schobel, Kelsay, Denney. We are so weak that they are talking about adding Posey. Why do you think we had to keep blitzing on every down last year?!

No matter how you feel about JP, wether you are a realist or a homer, you better prey that JP emerges as the starter. If he doesn't plan on 2 more disappointing seasons.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
I agree. The best thing we could do if JP doesn't produce is to bring in a good, veteran QB in free agency (if that's possible), rather than going back to square one with an untested rookie QB. I don't want us to be rebuilding forever.

And while I'm not quite as down on our DEs as you, we have plenty of needs to fill through the draft, so I would hate to spend another number 1 on a QB.

OpIv37
07-26-2006, 09:22 AM
No matter how you feel about JP he needs to start and emerge as our starting QB for the next few years. The argument that if he tanks and we can end up with Brday Quinn is ridiculous.

First off, even if we some how got Brady Quinn there is no guarantee that he can play in the NFL. Assuming he can, he will have little to no impact in year one so you are looking at 2008 before we get any kind of return on our investment. Getting him is a huge "if" because we would have to end up winning 2 games which just won't happen.

Second, our DE's are so week that we can't afford to waste a pick on QB. Schobel, Kelsay, Denney. We are so weak that they are talking about adding Posey. Why do you think we had to keep blitzing on every down last year?!

No matter how you feel about JP, wether you are a realist or a homer, you better prey that JP emerges as the starter. If he doesn't plan on 2 more disappointing seasons.

Good post- I agree completely. We need to root for JP as much as possible because if he tanks this year, he's pretty much a bust and the QB search needs to start over to avoid being the Lions with Harrington, the Skins with Ramsey, the Ravens with Boller, etc.

That being said, IF (and only IF) JP turns out to be a bust, finding a way to get Brady Quinn may be our best option. It's tough to predict how a college QB will do in the NFL, but given that Quinn plays in an NFL style system under a former NFL coach against decent competition on national TV every week, he's probably as close to a sure thing as you can get coming out of college. But like you said- best case scenario is 2 years to develop so it's more struggling in our future.

My personal preference in that situation would be to find a FA QB with some experience (like Brees this year), but those are rare and expensive.

justasportsfan
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
The huge difference I see in JP this year as compared to what I saw last year is that there is a sense of urgency in his voice. I actually said this after attending camp last year that JP was happy go lucky in practices. Always smiling. He was obviously enjoying the limelight knowing people at camp were watching him.During the qb huddle, he had his arms around Wyche's shoulder like they were buddies while both Shane and Kelly were all business. This could very well be one of the reasons the vets didn't like him. Heaven knows that guys like Milloy don't smile for crap or putz around during team meetings and stuff.

Reports say he's earning the vets respect which is why Kelly sounds like he's ready to piss in his pants.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree Justa he really sounds different this year. He is just way more confident, and he knows now what it takes to be an NFL QB. I can't wait to watch him show it this year so all my friends that think he sucks because that is what ESPN told them can stick it!!!! He showed some great things last year if you ask me, and probably more than ELI showed his first year so Sept. 10th can't come soon enough!!!!!