PDA

View Full Version : Coaches want little change in the OT system

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-19-2003, 09:03 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 19, 2003) -- The NFL competition committee previewed its biggest issue this week when it discussed overtime.

As is likely throughout the debate, no consensus was reached.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue has said he would like to see changes to the overtime system, in which the coin toss has increasingly become a determinant factor in victory. Last season, 40 percent of the record 25 overtime games were won by the team that won the coin toss.

The committee will hold more formal meetings in March before the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

During this week's three-day meeting, Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, the co-chairman, endorsed minor changes and at least two of his colleagues appeared to support him.

"It would change your coaching strategy, no question," new Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said, suggesting that kickoffs could be moved up in overtime to avoid giving the receiving team field position that would make scoring easier on the first drive.

Fisher and Indianapolis president Bill Polian, another committee member, said it would be difficult to forge a consensus.

Fisher said the committee wanted to determine first why the number of overtime games had increased so dramatically.

Some coaches don't believe major changes, such as assuring each team of at least one possession, are necessary.

"I might want my defense on the field first," Lewis said with a smile. "A lot of times, I'd like to lose the toss and play defense first."

LINK (http://nfl.com/news/story/6199144)

Cntrygal
02-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Tampa Bay general manager Rich McKay is somewhat surprised that many coaches don't favor radical changes to the NFL's overtime system.

"It's not a panacea," McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee, said Friday at the NFL scouting combine. "There may be unintended consequences any way you go. A lot of coaches say they're OK with the system we have."

That includes McKay's own coach, Jon Gruden, as well as Baltimore's Brian Billick.

more... (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6203237)

SABURZFAN
02-22-2003, 08:13 PM
something needs to be done with this OT situation.