PDA

View Full Version : Last Lookback at Draft Before Camp (Poll)

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Since this thread immediately was turning into a Pro vs Anti Losman thread.. I am editing this topic and rephrasing the question.

WIth camp now here.. Is there another player besides Whitner you wished the Bills would have drafted with that first pick.. Such as Leinart, or Haloti Ngata.?

The_Philster
07-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Option 1...not even a consideration. Only an idiot gives up on a QB after so few games

Option 2...wanted Ngata at the time...but Bowens, Baker, or Wire at SS? :eek:

Option 3...I like what I've read about Whitner...and Ohio State, for all its flaws, has a history of producing great DBs

HHURRICANE
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I'll bite. Ngata didn't fit our scheme. I'm not ready for a new QB and Leinart was never going to be a fit in Buffalo. Whitner is a solid draft pick. I doubt that he won't pan out and the Bills have a very good track record of drafting successful players for their secondary.

Whitner looks like a good pick up at #8. However, I'll be watching McCargo closely and if he turns out badly I'll be the first one on here to post a big "I told you so".

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Option 1...not even a consideration. Only an idiot gives up on a QB after so few games

Option 2...wanted Ngata at the time...but Bowens, Baker, or Wire at SS? :eek:

Option 3...I like what I've read about Whitner...and Ohio State, for all its flaws, has a history of producing great DBs
Option 1: It's also an idiot move to keep a QB and have him play lousy season after season based on his "potential". I'll use Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington as just two examples. How many years did those franchises throw away trying to develop a QB who simply just didn't have it?

Option 2- I DIDNT want Ngata at the time. Now a part of me wishes they did take him. Bowens or Baker is very likely a downgrade over Whitner at safety, but if that was offset by having a front four capable of dominating a game, I'd take the front four everytime. Ngata woulda ate blockers alive and free up Fletch and TKO (hopefully) to make more plays. Probably woulda made Triplett more effective as well.

Option 3- I like Whitner. I dont think he's the next Sean Taylor or Polamalu, but I think he's going to be a pretty solid safety. Reflecting back, I dont think its a BAD pick like taking Bunkley or Justice would've been- but I think the need to have a better front four is more important.

My pick- Option 1. I know NOBODY is going to agree with that pick at THIS time, but you watch in 2 or so years. You cant teach the intangibles, and Leinart has all of them.

PS- I"m not hating on WHitner at all, I just despise our QB situation.

Philagape
07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Option 1: It's also an idiot move to keep a QB and have him play lousy season after season based on his "potential". I'll use Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington as just two examples. How many years did those franchises throw away trying to develop a QB who simply just didn't have it?

How is that at all relevant to the Bills? Who here, besides Holcomb, has played ANY season after season, much less lousy ones? Harrington's played 58 games, Boller 36. It will be AT LEAST another year before they start to become relevant examples.

kgun12
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM
How is that at all relevant to the Bills? Who here, besides Holcomb, has played ANY season after season, much less lousy ones? Harrington's played 58 games, Boller 36. It will be AT LEAST another year before they start to become relevant examples.

I agree 100%!!!

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:47 PM
My point being dont say we gave up on a QB if he just doesnt have it.. Losman isnt a Levy or a Jauron guy, and he's owed NOTHING.. If he cant even stand head and above holcomb and nall, how the hell is he going to perform at a high level in the NFL

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:49 PM

and to answer your question more specifically, I'm saying if Losman doesnt have "it" I dont want to throw away 3-4 seasons like the RAvens and Lions did trying to develop a young, raw QB with potential who at the end of the day didnt have the intangibles..

Obviously, of the three he's going to get a shot this year.. but ONE year, not 3-4 years.. Personaly, and I dont like it, but I dont think Losman will beat out holcomb.

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
All Losman comments said by me are being deleted...

Philagape
07-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Picking Leinart would have been answering a question that's way too premature to ask. You don't spend the No. 8 pick in the draft on an IF.

Would Leinart have solved anything? He would have brought just another controversy. Especially here, where it's hard enough for any QB to succeed. There have been too many first-round busts to say with any authority or credibility that any QB is a savior before he plays a down in the NFL, so whenever I see predictions like that, they go straight into my brain's trash can.

And there are about four dozen Bills who are not "Levy or Jauron" guys. Do they have any chance? If Levy and Jauron are competent leaders, their guys are the ones who are the best players -- or, if there is no best player, the one with the most upside. Are they going to start Nall just because he's a Levy guy? If that's the criteria, Nall's the only option.

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I deleted my JP Losman comments, and will be a Bills fan and give Losman the benefit of the doubt throughout camp.. Im interested in seeing if he can CLEARLY win this QB job.

Philagape
07-26-2006, 09:26 PM
It wasn't about Losman, it was about Leinart. If Nall has it more than JP, so be it.

If we were to draft a QB because we weren't sure about the ones we got, we'd be drafting one first almost every year. And if all teams thought like that, about 15 QBs would go in the first round. Every QB comes with risk, and it takes a while to know how they're going to turn out. At least Whitner fills a spot we KNOW was a need.

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
WHitner does fill a need, and we had/have plenty of them.
Good point, your right (about Whitner)

jamze132
07-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Can I just say that the draft is and will always be a crapshoot? Wasn't Tom Brady a 6th round pick? He is arguably the best QB in the league. And wasn't Mike Williams the 4th overall pick a few years ago? He was a complete bust. And there are many other players that fall into one of these catagories. Bottom line, I agree with Pat when he said wait a couple years and then make an assessment.