PDA

View Full Version : San Diego situation similar to ours?

FlyingDutchman
07-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Does anyone else think that the San Diego situation is very similar to our from a couple of years ago? They let a veteran QB go, who was a pro bowler the year before, and had really started to excel in that system.

His replacement is a guy drafted in the first round, and now will be handed the job. Should he expect the same problem with respect that JP had?

IMO I dont know why San Diego did this move to begin with. They are on the door step of being serious contenders, and are now taking a step back. Especially if they have problems with team unity for their QB given their situation.

patmoran2006
07-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I like Phillips, though I do see your point.

The difference between phillips and losman was phillips was the 4th overall draft pick, and they couldn't pay both guys. Are you going to be the guy to give him franchise money and then not even play him?

Plus, Brees does have shoulder problems. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he'll be just fine.

However, I dont like SD. They are in trouble and I think if they start say 1-3 marty ****inheimer is going to lose his job.

HHURRICANE
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
IMO I dont know why San Diego did this move to begin with. They are on the door step of being serious contenders, and are now taking a step back. Especially if they have problems with team unity for their QB given their situation.

San Diego was getting ready to give Brees a big fat extension and Rivers probably would have ended up in Miami. The injury to Brees and the fact it was his shoulder changed everything so thats why they did what they did.

FlyingDutchman
07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I think they should have traded Rivers after Brees went to the Pro Bowl. Im sure they could have got a first rounder. Now they gotta hope he pans out instead of goin with the vet.

HAMMER
07-26-2006, 08:40 PM

The difference between phillips and losman was phillips was the 4th overall draft pick, and they couldn't pay both guys. Are you going to be the guy to give him franchise money and then not even play him?

Plus, Brees does have shoulder problems. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he'll be just fine.

However, I dont like SD. They are in trouble and I think if they start say 1-3 marty ****inheimer is going to lose his job.

I strongly disagree, SD has a solid O-Line returning and arguably the best front 7 on defense in the NFL. They won't start 1-3, and Marty won't get fired until seasons end IF they miss the playoffs. It will be hard for AJ Smith to fire Marty when AJ is the one who wanted to go with Rivers. Marty was vehemently opposed to the move.

YardRat
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
San Diego has more talent than Buffalo did two years ago.

Plus they have a proven, veteran coach.

And they have LT.

Big differences, IMO...the similarities start and stop with the QB situation.

jamze132
07-27-2006, 06:13 AM
As far as SD getting rid of the veteran and starting the "rookie", (I know he isn't one) it is similar to what happened in Buffalo. But that is it. However, I don't see them making the playoffs this year.

BillsFever21
07-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Bledsoe proved he can't lead a team all the way in this stage of his career. Plus he was up there in age.

Brees is young and good. We will have to see how it works out. If Rivers bombs out they will regret it.

One other difference is that the Chargers are a better team then we were when we let Bledsoe go.

We let Bledsoe go at the right time. He was getting old and wasn't gonna take us anywhere. It was time to look towards the future instead of prolonging it.

The Chargers didn't have much of a choice though. They couldn't afford to pay both QB's that kind of money and they probably felt that the trade value in return for Rivers wasn't enough to justify where they selected him.

It was only a matter of time until Rivers got the nod. When they drafted him that high the decision was already made. Too much invested in him. They were lucky that Brees got hurt in the last game of the season. It doesn't make their decision look as bed when there are question marks surrounding his shoulder.

jamze132
07-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Wonder what would have happened in Buffalo had Donahoe not neglected the O-line while we had Drew. Anyone?

justasportsfan
07-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Wonder what would have happened in Buffalo had Donahoe not neglected the O-line while we had Drew. Anyone?we could've made playoffs but that's it. Drew has tendencies to blow big games at some point.

BidsJr
07-27-2006, 04:02 PM

JP was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more NFL experiance that Rivers and that is scary.

To think he will be fine is to go against every argument made about a first year starter struggling that has been made.

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Rivers has had 2 years to soak in the system though. He's a first time starter but hardly a rookie. I say JP is half a step ahead of Rivers, but that's it.

BidsJr
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Rivers has had 2 years to soak in the system though. He's a first time starter but hardly a rookie. I say JP is half a step ahead of Rivers, but that's it.

So what exactly does that tell us?

Nada :rrich:

Other than both teams could be in for a long season.