PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine Scuttlebutt- 2/19

MelK
02-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Boss Baily's big day

Bailey could be one of the combine stars. He is listed on some draft projections as running the 40-yard dash in 4.56 seconds, but that time came last spring when he was still recovering from a 2001 knee injury.

Now Bailey, who set the Georgia and Competitive Edge Sports records with vertical leaps of 46 inches, is running the 40 in solid 4.4 or lower times, even though he and many other players may not run the 40 in Indianapolis because the track used there is widely believed to be slow.

"I've never seen anything like Boss,'' Smith said. "He ran a 4.28 in our testing and (last week) he jumped 46 inches in the vertical. ... It's gonna solidify him as a top-10 pick, and that's what we're expecting.''

Smith said Bailey's older brother, former Georgia cornerback and receiver Champ Bailey, had the previous workout record of 43 inches in the vertical leap.

"We're trying to get Boss over 50,'' Smith said before repeating "I've just never seen anything like it.''

Bailey is rated by The Sporting News as the top outside linebacker in the draft.

http://georgia.theinsiders.com/2/93769.html

MelK
02-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Believe it or not, the bad weather that's affected the East Coast and other parts of the country only kept three players from getting here on time Tuesday. Meanwhile, Jets coach Herman Edwards drove here from New York after his plane was canceled. ... Kyle Shanahan, the son of Denver head coach Mike Shanahan, was invited to the Combine but has since decided not to pursue a pro football career.

MelK
02-19-2003, 09:32 PM
The big topic of discussion is what the Cincinnati Bengals plan to do with the top overall pick, which goes hand-in-hand with the second biggest question, which concerns the quarterback class. To those points, some of the execs who addressed the media this morning were Bengals new coach Marvin Lewis, Jaguars new coach Jack Del Rio and new general manager James Harris, and Bears general manager Jerry Angelo. ... Player interviews have begun, and the system has become more structured than in years past. Each team must submit a list of 60 players they want to interview, and the interview can last no more than 15 minutes. In addition to the claxon that sounds when those 15 minutes are up, there is even a two-minute warning to alert the teams.

MelK
02-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Bucs hint at interest in McGahee...Tampa Bay has indicated that they will take a long, hard look at Miami RB Willis McGahee when the Super Bowl champion Buccaneers make their first pick at the 2003 draft. Of course, that pick won't come until the very end of the second round - the 64th pick overall to be exact - of this year's draft.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

MelK
02-19-2003, 09:44 PM
http://www.allproscouting.com/

While official results from Indianapolis are hard to come by, I have started to get some early results from my sources in Indianaplis on some offensive linemen. As we speak, the linemen are still lifting, but early reports from my team sources say that as it stands now, the only five linemen to break 30 reps are Wayne Hunter(37), Makoa Freitas(36), Jon Stinchcomb(32), Justin Sands(31), and Montrae Holland(30). It's important to keep in mind that these are early reports and that the players are still working out at the time of this report. More results will be posted as they become available.

One player who is not in Indianapolis for the combine is Tennessee-Martin CB Trent Findley. Findley, who is working out with a trainer in Memphis, is up to 196-pounds and is right at 6'0". He was timed at a low 4.4 in the forty and posted a 37" vertical over the weekend. Findley is scheduled to work out at the University of Louisville on March 19th.

A few more notes from today's combine-Domanick Davis(RB-LSU) did 22 reps of 225, Justin Griffith(FB-Mississippi State) did 29 reps of 225, Vince Manuwai(OG-Hawaii) did 28 reps of 225, and Damian Lavergne(OT-Louisiana Tech) did 17 reps of 225.

EDS
02-20-2003, 09:20 AM
I was wondering when some info from the combine would start rolling in. Thanks for posting this info MelK.