PDA

View Full Version : Spikes not playing the preseason?

Carlton Bailey
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
They just said it on WGR 550 but didn't get into it at all. Anyone know?

patmoran2006
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
If he plays at all, it will probably be a couple series over the last few games.. we already know what he can, why risk it?

I find it hard to believe he wont play at all though.

Amare
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I really don't want him to, with all the passion and commitment he don't need it!

BillsFever21
07-27-2006, 02:15 PM
His recovery may not be as good as we have hoped and have been lead to believe. If he's 100% like he says then why not play?

I just don't think he will be the same player. He will still be a good steady player but he's not gonna be a dominant difference maker like he was before. There are just too many other players that never recovered. I know TKO has heart but that's not gonna make his achillies any better.

He will still be a decent player but his performance won't justify his contract anymore. I sure hope I am wrong because he's my favorite player. There is just too much evidence from other players and how their careers went downhill. Hopefully TKO will be the first one to return to the same form and be the exception.

patmoran2006
07-27-2006, 02:18 PM
His recovery may not be as good as we have hoped and have been lead to believe. If he's 100% like he says then why not play?

I just don't think he will be the same player. He will still be a good steady player but he's not gonna be a dominant difference maker like he was before. There are just too many other players that never recovered. I know TKO has heart but that's not gonna make his achillies any better.

He will still be a decent player but his performance won't justify his contract anymore. I sure hope I am wrong because he's my favorite player. There is just too much evidence from other players and how their careers went downhill. Hopefully TKO will be the first one to return to the same form and be the exception.
unfortunately, he could end up like former LB Jamir Miller, who was a Pro Bowl LB before suffering the same exact injury, and was never the same again.. lets hope thats not the case this team needs TKO desperately.

Fun Times YaY is a Browns guy he can tell you all about Jamir Miller and the similarities.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I still think he'll see a series or two in preseason. I hope he's 100%. :pray:

gil
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't know, based on what I've read of Jauron's style of running camp, he trends more to the 'Club Marv' style and probably won't want to push someone as critical as TKO coming back from such a serious injury...

Carlton Bailey
Idiotic comment by Brad Riter...

"He has scheduled the next blowout of his Achilles for Foxboro."

What a dumbass comment that is.

OpIv37
I think this is a huge blow- he needs to get back into game shape and he sure as hell isn't going to do that being on the sidelines during the preseason.

I tend to agree with BF21- I don't think we'll ever see the same TKO again, which is unfortunate because he's my favorite current player.

patmoran2006
Dont speak reality OP you'll be accused of hating.

TKO is my favorite Bill since Kelly retired.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Idiotic comment by Brad Riter...

"He has scheduled the next blowout of his Achilles for Foxboro."

What a dumbass comment that is.
Riter is a ****ing douchebag. :mad:

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
The key is his achilles if it is sufficiently healed for game 1 I don't think not playing in the preseason will be a huge factor.

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 02:36 PM
The key is his achilles if it is sufficiently healed for game 1 I don't think not playing in the preseason will be a huge factor.

he hasn't played a full game in almost a year, and a good portion of that time was spent immobilized. He needs the conditioning.

feelthepain
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Well as much as I dislike everything Bills, I hope the guy fully recovers and plays at the same level pre injury. As a fan of the sport I want Miami to beat the best the Bills have to offer and If the fins lose I want them to lose to the best the Bills have to offer. I hope the Bills organization is just giving him as much recovery time as they can afford.

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Well as much as I dislike everything Bills, I hope the guy fully recovers and plays at the same level pre injury. As a fan of the sport I want Miami to beat the best the Bills have to offer and If the fins lose I want them to lose to the best the Bills have to offer. I hope the Bills organization is just giving him as much recovery time as they can afford.

classy post from an opposing fan- :up:

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
he hasn't played a full game in almost a year, and a good portion of that time was spent immobilized. He needs the conditioning.
No one is saying he isn't breaking his ass in the training room(which I am sure he is) Just that he won't be playing in preseason games.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
:hi5:

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
No one is saying he isn't breaking his ass in the training room(which I am sure he is) Just that he won't be playing in preseason games.

it's not the same as going full speed-full contact though.

BillsNick
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
I think TKO will be just fine. Let's remember, nobody in this world expected MaGahee to ever play at this level, let alone walk again.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
it's not the same as going full speed-full contact though.
He will get up to speed quickly.

justasportsfan
07-27-2006, 02:54 PM
We'll see how much medicine has advanced since Cowart tore his achilles.

I even heard the Culppepers rehab has been going great even though his injury was worse than Wiliis' because of advanced medicine.

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 02:54 PM
I think TKO will be just fine. Let's remember, nobody in this world expected MaGahee to ever play at this level, let alone walk again.

different kind of injury.

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
We'll see how much medicine has advanced since Cowart tore his achilles.

I even heard the Culppepers rehab has been going great even though his injury was worse than Wiliis' because of advanced medicine.

that is a good point- simple knee ligament injuries that used to end careers can now be fixed in short periods of time.

I'm still not holding my breath though- this was a very serious injury.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 03:02 PM
He will be fine.

jamze132
07-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Very humble post! Even if you are the enemy! :respect:

OpIv37
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
He will be fine.

I thought that until I read this post- I'm starting to think that these notions of a full recovery were exaggerated by TKO's own enthusiasm.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I thought that until I read this post- I'm starting to think that these notions of a full recovery were exaggerated by TKO's own enthusiasm.
You were wrong actually.

Tatonka
07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Dont speak reality OP you'll be accused of hating.

TKO is my favorite Bill since Kelly retired.

i didnt know you actually rooted for the bills. interesting.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
We should really not be surprised by this.

If you listened carefully to the comments made by Spikes and Jauron about Spikes' recovery you would have noted that Spikes has always been pointing towards returning for the season opener against the Pats--he has never once talked about playing before then--and Jauron has stated that they intend to go slow and be careful with Spikes in training camp. They can get Spikes contact work in practices during the preseason in a much more controlled setting and situation than putting him into one of the last couple of preseason games--especially the last one when a lot of starters only make a token appearance and you have back-ups out on the field who are going all out to try to survive the last roster cuts. It's not the ideal way to prep for the regular season, but, when you have a guy coming back from a serious injury who can be such a big factor on your team as Spikes, it may be the smartest way.

Spikes has been quoted repeatedly about having spoken at length to Julian Peterson and another player whose name I can't recall off-hand who is also recovering from the same injury who suffered a setback in his recovery because he pushed things too soon. He has said that he felt that he was ready to push things in his workouts much faster than he has until Peterson warned him against doing so and this other player hurt himself again. While Spikes has repeatedly maintained that he will be ready to go in NE when the season opens, he has said that, as a result of his talks with these other players, he has deliberately been holding back in the things that he has been doing to keep from suffering a set-back and that he will go along with the coaches on what they choose to have him do in training camp.

One of the things that Spikes has mentioned in these interviews was that Peterson told him that it took him 8 games last season to regain his explosiveness because of the effects of the recovery and the way the body compensates for the injury. Spikes has said that he is concentrating on doing certain specific exercises that are designed to strengthen the parts of his legs that are impacted by this in an effort to avoid or minimize this problem so that he can regain his explosiveness in a shorter amount of time.

In my view it is more important that Spikes take an intelligent approach to recovering from this injury--which, as it has been pointed out, has the potential to seriously deteriorate his performance--and make sure that he doesn't get re-injured and can regain his explosiveness than it is for him to get into a couple of preseason games for a handful of plays. Spikes knows how to play in the NFL, he knows the game and is intelligent enough to learn the new system by watching and doing some "walk-throughs" in practice. If he can regain his explosiveness enough to play well, he doesn't need to go full out in practice or in a preseason game to be ready to play the season opener.

Will Spikes be the same player that he was before? Probably not. But, the rehab program that he says he has been doing seems to be designed to give him the best chance to get close to where he was. Given J.Peterson's comments as reported by Spikes, it may take some time--even perhaps half a season before we see Spikes at that level. But, Spikes at 90% is still better than most of the LBs in the NFL and, more importantly, with all the young players that they have on defense, the Bills will benefit from his intensity and leadership if they can get him on the field by the season opener. Compared to that, having him play in the preseason is meaningless.

Drive 4 Five
07-27-2006, 09:50 PM
i didnt know you actually rooted for the bills. interesting.

You know who Pat's favorite team is right? Click on the link below:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar4630_1.gif