PDA

View Full Version : Sabres to wear original uni's for 15 home games

carybillsfan
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
What a joke, the originals will be a third jersey. Poor way to make up for those new hideous sweaters. 5 steps back 1 step forward.

http://sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=587

Michael82
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
This makes me more enraged because it means that no matter what, they are saying **** you to all the fans with that buffaslug logo. Well Mr. Quinn, you can take the buffaslug and shove it up your ass. I wont be caught dead spending $200+ on a jersey with that piece of **** on it. And I also wont buy any merchandise that has that nasty ass logo on it. Ooh, you brought back the throwbacks for 15 games...that's still not enough. Get rid of the ****ing buffaslug or be prepared for merchandise sales to plummet.

Oh wait, I guess they are going to bring the throwback jersey as the 3rd jersey because it allows them to market those. Once the idiots realize that the sales on those jerseys will be 100x better than the buffaslug, maybe they'll change the buffaslug to the 3rd jersey. :pray:

Michael82
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
oh and waiting until September is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Why wait so long? Anaheim had it the right way. Capitalize on the offseason lull by making news with your new look.

Dr. Lecter
07-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Mikey, you need to relax.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
What a joke, the originals will be a third jersey. Poor way to make up for those new hideous sweaters. 5 steps back 1 step forward.

Why is this a bad thing?

I say two steps forward 1 back.

I also hate the Buffaslug but I will give it a chance once I see the final jersey.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
This makes me more enraged because it means that no matter what, they are saying **** you to all the fans with that buffaslug logo. Well Mr. Quinn, you can take the buffaslug and shove it up your ass. I wont be caught dead spending $200+ on a jersey with that piece of **** on it. And I also wont buy any merchandise that has that nasty ass logo on it. Ooh, you brought back the throwbacks for 15 games...that's still not enough. Get rid of the ****ing buffaslug or be prepared for merchandise sales to plummet.

Oh wait, I guess they are going to bring the throwback jersey as the 3rd jersey because it allows them to market those. Once the idiots realize that the sales on those jerseys will be 100x better than the buffaslug, maybe they'll change the buffaslug to the 3rd jersey. :pray:
You cheap Rochestarian

L.A. Playa
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
wasnt one of the reasons they changed from the original jersies, that people hated the then road blue jersies, which now will be the home blue jersies for 16 games ???

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Not sure playa. It could have been. I like them personally.

jamze132
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
I think it is good that they will wear the originals 15 times this year. That is great. I do understand that they are trying to please us for the buffaslug though. I think that if they would have tested the waters sooner with the new logo, they never would have gone with it. But since it's too late and the jersey's are already being made, we have to deal with it. Indeed it sucks. Hopefully when we finally see the new jersey, we won't be so pissed.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I think it is good that they will wear the originals 15 times this year. That is great. I do understand that they are trying to please us for the buffaslug though. I think that if they would have tested the waters sooner with the new logo, they never would have gone with it. But since it's too late and the jersey's are already being made, we have to deal with it. Indeed it sucks. Hopefully when we finally see the new jersey, we won't be so pissed.
They still have the option to scrap that whole uni and stick with the Red and Black for one more year. :pray:

chernobylwraiths
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Quinn said that the logo is pretty much what you have seen but he has not seen anything that looks close to what the new unis look like. I only have an old home white jersey and now I have to buy the new home blue jersey. I always liked that better anyway.

They also said that the blue in the "old" jersey will be different anyway and that over time it will get much darker so that it will be the same as the new jerseys.

At least Quinn is saying that he is looking at what people are saying and trying to calm things down. He didn't want to have the announcement until September but he felt to alleviate some fans frustration, he came out with this announcement early.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 03:01 PM
No they don't! Can it Amerks fan!

carybillsfan
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
They still have the option to scrap that whole uni and stick with the Red and Black for one more year. :pray:

I wish they would. Here's what erks me the most. The old blue jerseys are ugly, i love the white but that blue is ugly(I had 5 jerseys growing up in Buffalo all were the home white jerseys---I thought I heard a stat when they switched to the black the the whites out sold the blue like 9 to 1). So why bring back what everyone already hated? Simple to try and save face.

Secondly they say "we've been planning this all along." What bull****!! Should I believe the braintrust that thought the slug was a great idea. This is simply throwing the fans a bone to shut them up and hope the buy tickets when they go on sale.

THATHURMANATOR
07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
How can you say with 100% certainty that they weren't planning on this the whole time?

SabreEleven
07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
He obviously works for the Sabres

Dr. Lecter
07-27-2006, 04:53 PM
The old blue are the best cary!

And Mikey doubt they have the option of scrapping to new jerseys and keeping the goat head. The marketing stuff was done long ago.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 05:00 PM
The old blue are the best cary!

And Mikey doubt they have the option of scrapping to new jerseys and keeping the goat head. The marketing stuff was done long ago.
but according to WGR and even Quinn himself, they dont even have the jerseys to show yet. They arent finished. Hell, they havent started making them yet. That's why the date of unveiling is soo late. Maybe this long delay will convince them to add the Sabres underneath or something.... :pray:

:idunno:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
but according to WGR and even Quinn himself, they dont even have the jerseys to show yet. They arent finished. Hell, they havent started making them yet. That's why the date of unveiling is soo late. Maybe this long delay will convince them to add the Sabres underneath or something.... :pray:

Uhmmm just clearing my throat :laughing:

"Yes, that specific logo, is it. But there's more to a logo than that. There are word marks that go with it, it's used, even on our uniform, that logo will be used with a word mark that you haven't seen. So you haven't really seen it, but you've seen part of it," said Quinn.
http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=39933

Michael82
07-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Uhmmm just clearing my throat :laughing:

"Yes, that specific logo, is it. But there's more to a logo than that. There are word marks that go with it, it's used, even on our uniform, that logo will be used with a word mark that you haven't seen. So you haven't really seen it, but you've seen part of it," said Quinn.
ooh, a word mark? How exciting. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the crappy logo and then slapping the name Sabres underneath. :ill:

pyrrhonist
07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
i love the white but that blue is ugly(I had 5 jerseys growing up in Buffalo all were the home white jerseys---I thought I heard a stat when they switched to the black the the whites out sold the blue like 9 to 1). So why bring back what everyone already hated? Simple to try and save face.

I don't know if I'd use the adjective "ugly" to describe the old road blues, but I've always preferred the classic home jersey (White) to the road blue.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know if I'd use the adjective "ugly" to describe the old road blues, but I've always preferred the classic home jersey (White) to the road blue.
plus the worst part is that they said on WGR that the jersey is going to be the only thing from the old uni. They will still be using the pants with the darker blue striping. :ill:

RockStar36
07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
I now believe when people say that Buffalo fans are the biggest whiners. Get the **** over it. It's a logo. And you haven't seen the new jerseys yet. You've seen a leak. You haven't seen the whole uniform while on the ice. Relax.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
I now believe when people say that Buffalo fans are the biggest whiners. Get the **** over it. It's a logo. And you haven't seen the new jerseys yet. You've seen a leak. You haven't seen the whole uniform while on the ice. Relax.
but yet it was okay for all you people to ***** up a storm about the goathead logo??? :cynic:

I personally liked those unis and am going to wear my black and red jersey to the arena a few times next season.

SpillerThrills
07-27-2006, 05:47 PM

Quinn also said that during a break in the playoffs they had pictures taken of Paul Gaustad and Jason Pomminville in the uni's..... he said that he sent one of the pictures to that "buffalo artist" and the guys said he liked it.

Philagape
07-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I loved the old whites, didn't like the old blues. Too plain and didn't look good on TV.

I may get an old-style white jersey, but nothing with the slug on it.

Michael82
07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
I loved the old whites, didn't like the old blues. Too plain and didn't look good on TV.

I may get an old-style white jersey, but nothing with the slug on it.
Good post! :bf1:

Michael82
07-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Someone posted this on Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community Board.....

I don't know if that is the wordmark or not, but the person on the board where I found it, claims it is. If it is, I do like that font better than what we have now. I also did notice that the slug looks slightly different in this picture. Just wish I could see a larger version. I agree that if a logo needs wordmarks to be complete, then it's not a good logo.
http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=39425&st=15&#entry582484

And with this logo....

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10004/avatar1763010mx4.jpg

Michael82
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, if that is the finished product that Larry Quinn is talking about, then I'm not impressed at all. The words still dont hide my feelings for that disgusting buffaslug logo. :ill:

Nighthawk
07-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Someone posted this on Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community Board.....

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=39425&st=15&#entry582484

And with this logo....

http://www.billszone.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10004/avatar1763010mx4.jpg

I like that and it is not that bad. People have to relax a bit or they are going to have a heart attack! As for the 3rd jerseys that the Sabres will wear...it is most likely that this was their intention all along. I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that a team cannot just choose a 3rd jersey without applying for this with the league and that takes at least 1 or 2 years to be given the OK. So, all of you people that think you "made" the Sabres come out with this just to save face are probably out of line. Everybody needs to relax and take a deep breath. I'm betting that the new unis will look very good and sell well.

JD
07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Look, if you have to put the teams name IN THE LOGO. Then you already KNOW it sucks. Boycott the new jersey, buy the old. That is all, GO SABRES!!!!

Michael82
07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
I like that and it is not that bad. People have to relax a bit or they are going to have a heart attack! As for the 3rd jerseys that the Sabres will wear...it is most likely that this was their intention all along. I've read somewhere (can't remember where) that a team cannot just choose a 3rd jersey without applying for this with the league and that takes at least 1 or 2 years to be given the OK. So, all of you people that think you "made" the Sabres come out with this just to save face are probably out of line. Everybody needs to relax and take a deep breath. I'm betting that the new unis will look very good and sell well.
I'll take that bet and raise it. I bet that the sales of the 3rd jersey will be much higher than the sales of the buffaslug jersey.

JD
07-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I'll take that bet and raise it. I bet that the sales of the 3rd jersey will be much higher than the sales of the buffaslug jersey.
without a doubt.

Nighthawk
07-27-2006, 07:09 PM

Mikey, I can't really discuss this with you because you have already made up your mind without even seeing the jersey! I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not going to make a judgement on jersey that I haven't even seen. Hey, I hope your wrong and I hope I'm right...if I'm wrong and they look terrible, then I will be the first one to let the Sabres know how I feel. However, it's pretty impossible to say you hate something without even seeing the uniforms. We will see...

im4bflo
07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I read on wkbw.com sports, that if the 3rd jersey outsells the new uni, they'd probably go back to the original for good! YEAH!
So buy up those 3rd jerseys Sabre fans, they're going to be our REAL jerseys sooner or later. I'll never spend a penny on the 'SLUG'!

JD
07-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Mikey, I can't really discuss this with you because you have already made up your mind without even seeing the jersey! I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm not going to make a judgement on jersey that I haven't even seen. Hey, I hope your wrong and I hope I'm right...if I'm wrong and they look terrible, then I will be the first one to let the Sabres know how I feel. However, it's pretty impossible to say you hate something without even seeing the uniforms. We will see...
I own more Sabres merchandise with the LOGO on it..than anything else. I think you've over looked that. Who cares how it will look on the jersey. Your going to see the logo on hockey websites, on tv, in the paper, your not going to see the jersey NEARLY as much. You can also find the logo under rocks, or at a playground near you where kids will be sprinkling salt on them.

im4bflo
07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
oh hell yeah... the 3rd will be our jersey.

Nighthawk
07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
I own more Sabres merchandise with the LOGO on it..than anything else. I think you've over looked that. Who cares how it will look on the jersey. Your going to see the logo on hockey websites, on tv, in the paper, your not going to see the jersey NEARLY as much. You can also find the logo under rocks, or near playground where kids will be sprinkling salt on them.

Understood, but I'm guessing that the reason that this logo is coming out is because it will look better on a hat. I am an avid hat person and I like hats to be simple, plain and look smooth. The goat head looks terrible on a hat and the old logo looks just as bad. This whole thing is a marketing thing and I'm sure they've tested the logo on products. Look at all the logos that have come out recently...The Eagles is similar to the new logo, the Patriots logo is similar...this is what the market place is about. After I see it on a hat and shirt...then I will make my decision, but I refuse to pass judgement without seeing it on these products. Sorry...

im4bflo
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm ready for the season, I've got my blue and gold, home and away, hanging in the closet, ready to go!
And another thing about the slug, that mustard gold looks like crap!

JD
07-27-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm going to regret saying this probably, but I think the new logo will actually look nice on a coffee mug:rage:

Nighthawk
07-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm going to regret saying this probably, but I think the new logo will actually look nice on a coffee mug :banghead:

There ya go...now doesn't that feel better!:clap:

im4bflo
07-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm going to regret saying this probably, but I think the new logo will actually look nice on a coffee mug:rage:
yeah... a mug of :poop:
:snicker2:

Philagape
07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
:poop:

Hey, it's a dancing buffaslug!

Michael82
07-27-2006, 08:09 PM
:rofl:

JD
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
:lmao:

pyrrhonist
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm ready for the season, I've got my blue and gold, home and away, hanging in the closet, ready to go!

It takes the return of the old jersey as an alternate to get you to wear your classic unis to games? Sure, I only attend West Coast-based teams' games, but I always have my classic blue & gold jerseys (Both white/home & road/blue) in my rotation that I wear. I even once got Brad May to acknowledge me at a Canucks/Sharks game a few seasons back. :up:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
wasnt one of the reasons they changed from the original jersies, that people hated the then road blue jersies, which now will be the home blue jersies for 16 games ???

:nono: The Buffalo Sabres changed arenas after the 1995-96 season. The Memorial Auditorium closed and the Marine Midland Arena was opened. The Sabres first season in the new arena, also began a new era as the Sabres retired the Blue & Gold for the new Black & Red uniforms. The 1996-97 was the first season in the new duds.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Saturday October 15th: New York Rangers
Tuesday October 17th: Philadelphia Flyers
Saturday November 4th: Toronto Maple Leafs
Friday November 17th: Pittsburgh Penguins
Friday November 24th: Montreal Canadiens
Thursday December 14th: Florida Panthers
Tuesday December 19th: Montreal Canadiens
Monday January 1st: New York Islanders
Friday January 19th: Vancouver Canucks
Tuesday January 30th: Boston Bruins
Thursday February 15th: Edmonton Oilers
Thursday February 22nd: Ottawa Senators
Saturday March 10th: New Jersey Devils
Friday March 23: Toronto Maple Leafs
Thursday April 5th: Boston Bruins

ddaryl
07-28-2006, 06:49 AM
I promise to not spend a single dime on Sabres merchandise if they make the slug our new emblem.

I won't be alone.

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2006, 06:55 AM
The old jerseys looked nice..... IN 1972!!!!

Mike, look at it this way, the goat head will be on clearance. You can buy all you want.

Dr. Lecter
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
I find it funny that people are so upset over the damn logo.
This team could wear a peice of crap as a logo and if they win the cup I won't care.

People that are this upset over a freaking logo need to realize that it is a minor part of this team.

Earthquake Enyart
07-28-2006, 07:37 AM
If I remember right, people didn't exactly fawn all over the goat head when it first came out either.

blackonyx89
07-28-2006, 07:44 AM
That's a cheap cop-out,Gally Boy! At least make the jerseys darker royal blue!!!Sheese!

Stoneludlow
07-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Saturday October 15th: New York Rangers
Tuesday October 17th: Philadelphia Flyers
Saturday November 4th: Toronto Maple Leafs
Friday November 17th: Pittsburgh Penguins
Friday November 24th: Montreal Canadiens
Thursday December 14th: Florida Panthers
Tuesday December 19th: Montreal Canadiens
Monday January 1st: New York Islanders
Friday January 19th: Vancouver Canucks
Tuesday January 30th: Boston Bruins
Thursday February 15th: Edmonton Oilers
Thursday February 22nd: Ottawa Senators
Saturday March 10th: New Jersey Devils
Friday March 23: Toronto Maple Leafs
Thursday April 5th: Boston Bruins

Sabres To Wear Classic Blue & Gold For 3rd Jersey!

http://www.entercombuffalo.com/WGREmail/bluegold.jpg
Breaking News!
Back to the Blue and Gold...
The number one topic on the minds of sports fans in Western New York has been the new Buffalo Sabres uniforms. However, Larry Quinn told Brad Riter and the Bulldog this afternoon that the original road Blue and Gold uniform will be used by the Buffalo Sabres for 15 games this season at the HSBC Arena.

Just had to add a picture of that fabulous, retro sweater!
The schedule above should be changed to having all home games, but that's only my opinion on the subject of the sweater controvercy.

pyrrhonist
07-28-2006, 10:26 AM
If I remember right, people didn't exactly fawn all over the goat head when it first came out either.

The current symbol never really bothered me, it's always been the "too many people use these colors" black & red. :down:

carybillsfan
07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I still wish the NHL allowed teams to wear white at home, I like those much better than the blue. I still wish they would stay with the black and Red.

im4bflo
07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
It takes the return of the old jersey as an alternate to get you to wear your classic unis to games? Sure, I only attend West Coast-based teams' games, but I always have my classic blue & gold jerseys (Both white/home & road/blue) in my rotation that I wear. I even once got Brad May to acknowledge me at a Canucks/Sharks game a few seasons back. :up:
I wear the old school, all the time.

Nighthawk
07-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Oh, how people forget! Great post!:clap:

im4bflo
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
I never had a problem with the 'so called' goathead, I thought it looked like a buffalo, but NO sabres anywhere in the logo, sucked.

PUCKER
07-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Well the new logo STILL wont see a dime of my money and I have the blue and gold white jersey to wearshould I choose to do so.

Michael82
07-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Well the new logo STILL wont see a dime of my money and I have the blue and gold white jersey to wearshould I choose to do so.
:bf1:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
That's a cheap cop-out,Gally Boy! At least make the jerseys darker royal blue!!!Sheese!

They will over time!

JD
07-29-2006, 04:47 PM
This team could wear a peice of crap as a logo and if they win the cup I won't care.

People that are this upset over a freaking logo need to realize that it is a minor part of this team.
A logo does not only represent a team, but it's fans and CITY as well.

im4bflo
07-30-2006, 01:04 AM

Well, the peice of crap is on it's way in Sept.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-31-2006, 03:57 PM

I found this out, that this isn't the Sabres fault about only wearing the jerey for only 15 games it's a rule the NHL will only let teams wear they're thirds for 15 games. It's like the NFL last yr and the BILLS could only wear the throwbacks for 2games in the regular season.