PDA

View Full Version : what a great game!

Sabre Ally
02-19-2003, 10:22 PM
My record at games I attend is now 2-1-1.

I wore my Team Canada jersey and sat next to a guy in a Team Canada jersey. What are the odds of that? :laughter:

I spent more than I intended to though. The program had a 3-page feature on Adam Mair in it, so I had to get one of those. Then I figured I needed a home jersey to complete my set, so I got an Adam Mair jersey.

Oh yeah, and they handed out these things with a player's name and number on it and if your player scored, you won a $2 lunch buffet at Pizza Hut. Mine had Satan. :punk:

BironsGirl43
02-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Sweet SA.. It was a great game...

My record at games is pretty good too.. I've been to many games this season and I'm going to the one vs LA on Friday too.. can't wait! :)

I love the programs! They give so much info in it.. I have one with a huge section on Jochen Hecht :) and Taylor Pyatt!!

Satan eh? What are the odds.. hehe..

You've got a Mair jersey? Sweet.. Mair's a great player.. getting him for Rassmuffin was a STEAL!

Sabre Ally
02-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I'm liking Mair a lot. I might have to change my username to MairsGirl22. :D

BironsGirl43
02-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Ahahahahaha!! Go for it.. :)

That would be FUNNY.. lol...

Mair vs his old team on Friday.. gonna be a good one for sure!!

Sabre Ally
02-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah, too bad it costs 20K to change your username. :sadwalk:

The_Philster
02-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Glad you had a good time, Ally :up:
Nice of you to help deliver us a win

Buffarama
02-19-2003, 10:50 PM
Great Game!!!

SkateZilla
02-20-2003, 12:22 AM
YAY!!
They WON oN My B-DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Turn 19 ..
they Sabs Win.. I Got to talk to some of the Admirals (NORFOLK AHL TEAM) in Person.

SkateZilla
02-20-2003, 12:38 AM
well
its 130 am now.
im gonna watch the replays on espn news channel now..

Ebenezer
02-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Sabre Ally
My record at games I attend is now 2-1-1.

Sure, you lost the one night you went with me...:sadwalk:

Sabre Ally
02-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I guess I should just go by myself all the time. :chuckle:

BironsGirl43
02-21-2003, 12:41 PM
Hey Ally.. this is for you:

Here's a great article that was in the Buffalo News today regarding Mair..

I love Mair.. and I love what James Patrick has to say about him.. being the positive of an otherwise negative season..

Sabres' trade for Mair made crunching impact
By JOHN VOGL
News Sports Reporter
2/21/2003

Adam Mair has already set career highs with the Sabres this season.

When Adam Mair walks toward the arena for a game or practice, the snow crunching under his feet generates a grin that's hard to contain.

"There's something to be said about going to the rink when there's snow on the ground," he said.

When he reaches the locker room, Mair is positively beaming. The Buffalo Sabres center knows getting paid to lace hockey skates is something to treasure.

"I enjoy coming to the rink every day," he said. "I'm having lots of fun, and I think that's important for a hockey player - to have fun."

The enjoyment reaches a new level today. Mair, acquired from Los Angeles in July in exchange for Erik Rasmussen, gets his first chance to face the Kings at 7 tonight in HSBC Arena (Empire, Radio 107.7 FM).

"You always get up a little extra for teams that you've played with," he said. "I've got a lot of friends on that team, so it's going to be fun."

When the Rasmussen trade went down, not many eyebrows were raised when it was learned a guy with 52 games played was coming to town. But it didn't take long for teammates and fans to become enamored with Mair. The 24-year-old from Hamilton, Ont., epitomizes Buffalo's blue-collar attitude.

"In my mind he's been the most positive story for the team," defenseman James Patrick said. "There's been a lot of disappointments, but Adam Mair has been everything we've needed.

"I think he's the guy who's going to be with this organization for a long time. He's got skill. He's got toughness. He skates very well, and he's just going to get better. I can't say enough about him."

When you look around the arena, there are plenty of No. 32 jerseys to be seen, showing fans appreciate hard-nosed, hard-working players. No. 32 thinks it won't be long before plenty of fans are wearing Mair's No. 22.

"Definitely in this town. They'd get into him more and more each year," forward Rob Ray said. "Adam's got a personality that you can't not like. His work ethic on the ice is second to none. He's not somebody that demands anything or says a lot. But he fits in, and everybody likes him."

"I think Adam Mair has been awesome," coach Lindy Ruff said. "First of all, he's just a good character guy. He has fun playing the game. He plays it hard. He's been there for teammates. He's fought for teammates.

"For not knowing a lot about him, he's a guy that really grows on you. He's had a very refreshing impact on our team."

Partly because making an impact is Mair's main claim to (impending) fame.

"He doesn't try to hit guys every night. He tries to kill guys every night," Ray said. "He runs around and hits. He plays with a lot of emotion, creates a lot of excitement, and he plays every shift like that, not just here and there. Every shift."

Mair already has set career highs for goals (five), assists (eight), points (13) and penalty minutes (113) in a season. The production is getting him on the ice more. Ruff rides the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder whenever Mair starts motoring, often bumping him up to the second or third line as the game goes on. He's averaging 101/2 minutes of ice time per game and has been getting 11 to 15 minutes lately.

"I think he's getting the opportunity he wasn't getting before, and he understands it and respects it," Ray said. "He's getting the chance to play regularly every night. The thing is most guys wouldn't understand that. They would just think they're supposed to get it. He knows and respects that he's getting an opportunity."

"The trade worked out great for me," Mair said. "I've gotten a great opportunity here to play. I've gotten a lot of chances. Lindy's given me a good role on the team. The city's been really warm and welcoming. It's close to home, family and friends. There's all kinds of positives. I can't think of one negative."

Patrick looks at Mair and sees someone who could become a Rick Tocchet-like player. Tocchet was tough and feisty, garnering nearly 3,000 minutes in penalties, but he also had the skill to record 440 goals and 512 assists during his 18-year career.

"He's a tough guy who can play minutes," Patrick said of Mair. "He can play with Miro (Satan, the Sabres' leading scorer). He's good enough he can play on that line, but he also has toughness. He wants to compete, wants to get better."

Rasmussen, meanwhile, is playing the same in L.A. as he did in Buffalo. The No. 7 overall pick in the 1996 entry draft has scored just four goals, 12 assists and 22 penalty minutes.

The Sabres today will receive the results of an MRI taken on Jochen Hecht's injured right wrist Thursday. He could be lost for the season if the test reveals a broken bone.

"I'm afraid there's more to it than just being sprained," Ruff said Thursday.

About 7,000 tickets remained for tonight's game. The Kings are battling for a playoff spot but have been hit hard by injuries. Goalie Felix Potvin and forwards Jason Allison and Adam Deadmarsh are among the key players sidelined.

"I think they've lost well over 200 man games to injury - and to a lot of their big-name players," Mair said. "That's tough for any team."

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20030221/1000975.asp

Sabre Ally
02-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Awesome! Thanks! That's pretty much the gist of the story on him that was in Wednesday night's Game Night program. Everyone on the team seems to think alot of him!