PDA

View Full Version : A bigger, stronger, faster Spikes is back

The_Philster
07-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Takeo Spikes didn't need a medical expert to tell him what had happened.

Sitting on the turf at Ralph Wilson Stadium Sept. 25, the Buffalo Bills' All-Pro outside linebacker removed his helmet and slammed it to the ground. His right Achilles tendon had been torn clean on a blitz call against Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick.
And Spikes knew it. more (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060728/SPORTS03/607280416)

ghz in pittsburgh
07-28-2006, 06:37 AM
The inspiration and character of Spike aside (which I admire greatly), the quote down below really says it all to me:

Spikes won't be in full pads at the Bills training camp at St. John Fisher, which kicks off today, and he isn't likely to play in any preseason games. He may not even be ready for the first two regular-season games at New England and Miami. His goal is to make his comeback in the home opener Sept. 24 against the New York Jets, when it will be almost a year to the day when he suffered his first and only serious injury playing football. "I've still got time on my side and I'm going to take advantage of that," Spikes said.

WGR reported the same - that Spike is not going to play any pre-season games. It's a very tough injury to come back from, let alone back to his former pro-ball form.

The Bills need a lot of miracles to be respectable this season. They need a QB to step up to have a far better performance than those shown by any QB last year; they need OL to step up big time, they need DL to step up big time; they need Evans to succeed as #1 receiver in this league; they need someone to be a capable #2 receiver; they need significant contributions from the rookies. That's why the pundits don't like the Bills because these make a long list and they are all legit concerns.

I just feel that expecting Spike to back in full force this season is a bit too much. I hope when Spike indeed plays and realizes that he cannot do all some of his teamates can do, he'll swollow his pride and let others play (more).

The best scenario I can think of is that he steps on field mid-season and give the Bills an inspirational lift much like Tedy Bruschi did for NE last year.