PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: What actually happened between Bills and Price

Romes
02-19-2003, 10:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1511468.html

The Bills made an offer to Price that he had until Tuesday to accept. When Price said that the Bills price wasn't right, team officials held a meeting and decided that they didn't want to lose Price even though the franchise tag will eat up $5.01 million of their cap.

The Bills need help on defense, and they still have room to make a big on a top linebacker. But keeping Price may prevent them from major moves in free agency to help their defense.

Price was disappointed by the Bills decision. He rejected a Bills offer Tuesday that would have paid him $3 million a year and included a $4.5 million signing bonus. His hope in the free agent market was to get a deal in excess of $5 million a year.

It's not out of the question that the Bills retained Price in order to get value in a trade. The problem might be getting a first-round choice. This is considered a good draft for tall receivers with speed.

Just a little background info on what happened.

Interesting that we offered him such a small contract in respect to what he was asking for. Might as well try I guess.

I also think Clayton is wrong. I think someone will give up a first round pick for price. Yes, the draft has receivers in it, but they are not proven as Price is.

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 11:02 PM
i really hope that this doesnt turn into a bitter pissing match between price and the bills... things have been running smoothly.. i hate to see that messed up..

i have a feeling that if the bills tag/trade price, moulds will not be thrilled. hopefully, they will give peerless a bit of a choice in where he goes (if there are a couple options)

Shiny Chicken
02-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm going with the philosophy of just sitting back and seeing where this one goes. I fully trust in TD's ability to do what's best for the team. After pulling off the Bledsoe trade last spring, Ihave confidence the man can do just about anything.

Watching TD is almost as exciting as watching the team itself play.

Tatonka
02-19-2003, 11:35 PM
yeah.. at least there is something to finally get worked up over huh?? :lol:

i swear.. when i read the first report on the board today, i was knee deep in a ton of work at the office.. i needed a break, so i clicked over here.. and saw the headlines.. booom.. my heart stopped for second.. i love that feeling... just seeing something going on.. knowing that someone is trying to better your favorite team..

i cant imagine working for the bills.. how fun would it be to play gm for the day?lol

Shiny Chicken
02-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it was exciting today, wasn't it?

kgun12
02-20-2003, 05:40 AM
"The Bills need help on defense, and they still have room to make a big on a top linebacker. But keeping Price may prevent them from major moves in free agency to help their defense."

Even though clump says we have money, if this prevents us from fixing the wholes on Defense, I say cut his a$$ and fix the D!

The_Philster
02-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Chicken
Yeah, it was exciting today, wasn't it?

:lol: No kidding. I had only logged on planning to check a few things and was just getting set to log off to get ready for class when things got crazy and they made the official announcement. :chuckle:

don137
02-20-2003, 07:41 AM
The difference between Price and players coming out of college is Price is a proven player and entering the prime of his career. WRs coming out of college take a few years to grasp the NFL system and sometimes never pan out. Look at David Terrell and Peter Warrick. They were both top ten picks taken in the first round a couple of years ago and really hasn't shown much. That's a lot of money down the drain.

THATHURMANATOR
02-20-2003, 09:22 AM
"i have a feeling that if the bills tag/trade price, moulds will not be thrilled. hopefully, they will give peerless a bit of a choice in where he goes (if there are a couple options)"

This is a business. Who cares if moulds gets upset? He will get over it. Also I could care less where we trade him as long as we get the best value in return..

Michael82
02-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by kgun12
"The Bills need help on defense, and they still have room to make a big on a top linebacker. But keeping Price may prevent them from major moves in free agency to help their defense."

Even though clump says we have money, if this prevents us from fixing the wholes on Defense, I say cut his a$$ and fix the D!

Not true! According to Clump, we are still about 4-5 million dollars under the cap. Once we cut Jay Riemersma and Chris Watson, we can save another $3.5 Million. We'd have about 8 Million Dollars UNDER the cap. Also, we can pull the cap off Price at any time. If we work a deal with someone, we have him sign a cap friendly deal and then trade him to another team for a 1st rounder or something. This draft has some good DL and LBs available and without a 1st rounder, we probably won't get any of the good talent. TD loves the draft and if he can get a draft pick for practically doing nothing, I'm sure he'll jump at it! :D