X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billsburgh
    • Jul 2003

Is anyone else worried about this "QB competition charade

is anyone else concerned about the limited # of reps each qb is getting in pracitce beacuse of the open competition? by now the coaches should have a pretty good idea of who has a better grasp of the new offense, making better reads and better throws. whoever the starter is, they need the max number of reps possible because it's a new system with new starters who need to develop that chemistry. if the competition goes on too long, it's only going to hurt the starting qb and the team as a whole.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is anyone else worried about this "QB competition charade

Good post! I couldn't agree more. This competition needs to be ended soon.

Comment

• clumping platelets

It's JP's job to lose

Comment

• billsburgh
        • Jul 2003

The coaches need to decide on a clear cut #1 before the 1st preseason game and go from there to get whoever it is (JP ) ready for the regular season.

Comment

• billsburgh
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by clumping platelets
          It's JP's job to lose
          someone needs to tell Dick Jauron this.

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Well it may not mean much but durig the stretching sessions JP was surrounded by the entire first string o-line.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

it doesn't matter- either JP steps it up and plays like an NFL QB, or it's going to be a long-ass season.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• im4bflo
                the EPITOMY of PATHETIC
                • Sep 2003

The JP-EVANS connection is already there, Moulds isn't here to make Holcomb look good anymore, and Nall isn't stepping up.
                It's time to let LOSMAN prepare for the season. GO BILLS!

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

I am sure that the "competetion" will end after the first pre-season game. All three will get reps that game.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

I think it is just as important for JP to "earn" the job in regards to his confidence and the respect of his teamates, even though the malcontents from last years- get JP out as starting QB have been cut, (read, Moulds, Milloy and Adams).

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I think it's great for the team, myself, as long as it doesn't drag on right up to the last pre-season game.

Whichever QB steps up and earns the job is going to gain the respect of his teammates, especially those on the offensive side of the ball, and leadership is an intangible that right now is a much larger priority than getting the bulk of the reps in practice.

I think it would be foolish to choose a starter before they see action against real competition. The coaches and other players have to at least see some evidence that the QB's can carry over what they do on the practice field into the games.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                        I think it would be foolish to choose a starter before they see action against real competition. The coaches and other players have to at least see some evidence that the QB's can carry over what they do on the practice field into the games.
                        Sounds logical to me.

Why choose the QB before you see them all in preseason games?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                          I think it is just as important for JP to "earn" the job in regards to his confidence and the respect of his teamates, even though the malcontents from last years- get JP out as starting QB have been cut, (read, Moulds, Milloy and Adams).
                          That's been my feeling ever since this thing started. Handing JP the job last year blew up in Mularkey's face, who then made it worse by bowing to the malcontents and starting a QB carousel.

Jauron and Levy know that JP winning the job in open competition is best for everyone - as long as he wins it soon and starts getting the majority of the reps. And I think that will happen no later than the conclusion of the first preseason game.

They can't annoint JP as the starter too soon, or it will look fixed.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            That's been my feeling ever since this thing started. Handing JP the job last year blew up in Mularkey's face, who then made it worse by bowing to the malcontents and starting a QB carousel.

Jauron and Levy know that JP winning the job in open competition is best for everyone - as long as he wins it soon and starts getting the majority of the reps. And I think that will happen no later than the conclusion of the first preseason game.

They can't annoint JP as the starter too soon, or it will look fixed.
                            Absolutely right! And, Jauron has already stated that he is not going to make a decision until the coaches see the QBs in game situations--which means preseason games. This probably means two preseason games before they announce a final decision.

As I described in my article that's still on the BZ front page, Levy and Jauron were not sure what they had in JP when they got to Buffalo based on his performance last season and what they heard about him. While JP has shown them that he has grown and gotten better since last season in practices, they have not seen how he will do in pads, let alone against hostile opposition. Even if JP is consistently better than the other two QBs every day in practice, they are not going to make a final determination that he is their man and name him the starter until they see him facing real opposition in the preseason. They have to see whether what he does well in practice all goes out the window when he's facing someone other than his teammates and also how he will respond to adversity. They need to know whether he will fall on his face or not once the real hitting starts. And, the only way to do that is to extend the competition until the Bills play a couple of preseason games to see how JP responds...Nall, too. It may not be the best way to apportion the reps, but it is the way that they have to do it until they know for sure that he is going to be their guy because, if he falters, they will have to give the other guys a chance to be somewhat ready to take over and they can only do that by giving them more reps than a # 2 or # 3 QB would normally get in training camp.

So, until then, just be patient. No matter how good JP has looked and looks in practice, they have to go through the process this way to confirm for themselves and for the other players on the team that JP is the best man for the job so that everyone goes into the season on the same page. We all know what happened last season when that was not the case.
                            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Jauron told the quarterbacks before training camp they would get equal opportunities, so they were prepared to be rotated in and out of the lineup after three or four plays. It's hard for a quarterback to get into a rhythm when he only getting a few repetitions at a time. But in a three-way competition, there are only so many snaps to go around.

That's ridiculous.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X