PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else worried about this "QB competition charade

billsburgh
07-28-2006, 11:43 PM
is anyone else concerned about the limited # of reps each qb is getting in pracitce beacuse of the open competition? by now the coaches should have a pretty good idea of who has a better grasp of the new offense, making better reads and better throws. whoever the starter is, they need the max number of reps possible because it's a new system with new starters who need to develop that chemistry. if the competition goes on too long, it's only going to hurt the starting qb and the team as a whole.

Michael82
07-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Good post! I couldn't agree more. This competition needs to be ended soon.

clumping platelets
07-28-2006, 11:58 PM
It's JP's job to lose

billsburgh
07-28-2006, 11:59 PM
The coaches need to decide on a clear cut #1 before the 1st preseason game and go from there to get whoever it is (JP :pray:) ready for the regular season.

billsburgh
07-29-2006, 12:01 AM
It's JP's job to lose
someone needs to tell Dick Jauron this.

The Spaz
07-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Well it may not mean much but durig the stretching sessions JP was surrounded by the entire first string o-line.

OpIv37
07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
it doesn't matter- either JP steps it up and plays like an NFL QB, or it's going to be a long-ass season.

im4bflo
07-29-2006, 12:35 AM
The JP-EVANS connection is already there, Moulds isn't here to make Holcomb look good anymore, and Nall isn't stepping up.
It's time to let LOSMAN prepare for the season. GO BILLS!

jamze132
07-29-2006, 04:48 AM
I am sure that the "competetion" will end after the first pre-season game. All three will get reps that game.

alohabillsfan
07-29-2006, 05:25 AM
I think it is just as important for JP to "earn" the job in regards to his confidence and the respect of his teamates, even though the malcontents from last years- get JP out as starting QB have been cut, (read, Moulds, Milloy and Adams).

YardRat
07-29-2006, 05:30 AM
I think it's great for the team, myself, as long as it doesn't drag on right up to the last pre-season game.

Whichever QB steps up and earns the job is going to gain the respect of his teammates, especially those on the offensive side of the ball, and leadership is an intangible that right now is a much larger priority than getting the bulk of the reps in practice.

I think it would be foolish to choose a starter before they see action against real competition. The coaches and other players have to at least see some evidence that the QB's can carry over what they do on the practice field into the games.

John Doe
07-29-2006, 06:11 AM
I think it would be foolish to choose a starter before they see action against real competition. The coaches and other players have to at least see some evidence that the QB's can carry over what they do on the practice field into the games.

Sounds logical to me.

Why choose the QB before you see them all in preseason games?

Jan Reimers
07-29-2006, 06:29 AM
I think it is just as important for JP to "earn" the job in regards to his confidence and the respect of his teamates, even though the malcontents from last years- get JP out as starting QB have been cut, (read, Moulds, Milloy and Adams).
That's been my feeling ever since this thing started. Handing JP the job last year blew up in Mularkey's face, who then made it worse by bowing to the malcontents and starting a QB carousel.

Jauron and Levy know that JP winning the job in open competition is best for everyone - as long as he wins it soon and starts getting the majority of the reps. And I think that will happen no later than the conclusion of the first preseason game.

They can't annoint JP as the starter too soon, or it will look fixed.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-29-2006, 08:46 AM
That's been my feeling ever since this thing started. Handing JP the job last year blew up in Mularkey's face, who then made it worse by bowing to the malcontents and starting a QB carousel.

Jauron and Levy know that JP winning the job in open competition is best for everyone - as long as he wins it soon and starts getting the majority of the reps. And I think that will happen no later than the conclusion of the first preseason game.

They can't annoint JP as the starter too soon, or it will look fixed.

Absolutely right! And, Jauron has already stated that he is not going to make a decision until the coaches see the QBs in game situations--which means preseason games. This probably means two preseason games before they announce a final decision.

As I described in my article that's still on the BZ front page, Levy and Jauron were not sure what they had in JP when they got to Buffalo based on his performance last season and what they heard about him. While JP has shown them that he has grown and gotten better since last season in practices, they have not seen how he will do in pads, let alone against hostile opposition. Even if JP is consistently better than the other two QBs every day in practice, they are not going to make a final determination that he is their man and name him the starter until they see him facing real opposition in the preseason. They have to see whether what he does well in practice all goes out the window when he's facing someone other than his teammates and also how he will respond to adversity. They need to know whether he will fall on his face or not once the real hitting starts. And, the only way to do that is to extend the competition until the Bills play a couple of preseason games to see how JP responds...Nall, too. It may not be the best way to apportion the reps, but it is the way that they have to do it until they know for sure that he is going to be their guy because, if he falters, they will have to give the other guys a chance to be somewhat ready to take over and they can only do that by giving them more reps than a # 2 or # 3 QB would normally get in training camp.

So, until then, just be patient. No matter how good JP has looked and looks in practice, they have to go through the process this way to confirm for themselves and for the other players on the team that JP is the best man for the job so that everyone goes into the season on the same page. We all know what happened last season when that was not the case.

Philagape
07-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Jauron told the quarterbacks before training camp they would get equal opportunities, so they were prepared to be rotated in and out of the lineup after three or four plays. It's hard for a quarterback to get into a rhythm when he only getting a few repetitions at a time. But in a three-way competition, there are only so many snaps to go around.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060729/1005963.asp

That's ridiculous.

Philagape
07-29-2006, 09:01 AM
If it's supposed to be a truly equal competition, are they going to shuffle them in and out like that in the preseason games? After all, there are only so many snaps against the opponent's first team.
JP should start the preseason games because he's the one most in need of testing. Everyone should know what the Bills have in Holcomb. Even yesterday, he was typically accurate but weak-armed.
While I'm not saying he should be handed the job, JP should be given the advantage because he obviously has the best tools. A QB who's gifted physically but inexperienced can get better; a QB who's vice-versa won't.

Jan Reimers
07-29-2006, 09:09 AM
If it's supposed to be a truly equal competition, are they going to shuffle them in and out like that in the preseason games? After all, there are only so many snaps against the opponent's first team.
JP should start the preseason games because he's the one most in need of testing. Everyone should know what the Bills have in Holcomb. Even yesterday, he was typically accurate but weak-armed.
While I'm not saying he should be handed the job, JP should be given the advantage because he obviously has the best tools. A QB who's gifted physically but inexperienced can get better; a QB who's vice-versa won't.
Absolutely.

patmoran2006
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
While its important for JP to earn the job as it will also earn him more respect from his veteran teammates. This three-way competition doesnt help any of the QB's or the offense as a whole.

A QB needs constistency and a rhythm to settle into it, and thats IMPOSSIBLE when you're only taking 1/3 of the snaps.

Pick your starter now, and let him work with the first unit for about 70% of the plays. If he doesnt play well then go to the next guy.

This competition is horse****, every QB is going to feel like they're one bad throw away from going first to third on the depth chart.

John Doe
07-29-2006, 09:30 AM
every QB is going to feel like they're one bad throw away from going first to third on the depth chart.

It's called pressure. The QB who can deal with it the best will probably deal with regular season pressure better than the others as well.

I see no harm with seeing the QBs in action for a few preseason games.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Well it may not mean much but durig the stretching sessions JP was surrounded by the entire first string o-line.
That's why I took those photos. I thought it was interesting.

Bufftp
07-29-2006, 09:47 AM
someone needs to tell Dick Jauron this.
I'll speed dial him right now...

billsburgh
07-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I'll speed dial him right now...
thanks

Mr. Cynical
07-29-2006, 05:17 PM
it doesn't matter- either JP steps it up and plays like an NFL QB, or it's going to be a long-ass season.

Add to that the oline needs to magically transform into something better than a pop warner line.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm worried. I hate the way they are rotating the 3 of them so much and feel that it needs to get cut down to 2 sharing the majority of the snaps soon. Holcomb needs to take the backup snaps now IMO.

Ed
07-29-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm not opposed to competition, I want to see Losman earn the job and win the respect of his teammates, but I don't like that it's a 3 man race. It's hard enough getting enough reps when you've got two guys splitting snaps in camp, 3 is just too many. At least with two guys you know that whoever ends up being the back up is only a play a way from being the starter so getting a reasonable amount of reps in can be beneficial to the team, but the 3rd qb never plays during the season. If he does, the season's most likely already lost anyway. During Bledsoe's first two years, we didn't even carry 3 qb's during the season.

The point is, one of these guys is probably not going to see any snaps during the season, so giving him an equal amount during TC seems pretty unproductive.

billsburgh
07-29-2006, 07:02 PM
the way they should do it is give one guy a full day with the 1st team O. the next day another guy gets a whole day and so on. that way the qb can get in some sort of rythym and more closely resemble game situations. with only 3 or 4 reps at a time, they have to be looking over their shoulder after every throw, afraid to make a mistake.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 07:05 PM
the way they should do it is give one guy a full day with the 1st team O. the next day another guy gets a whole day and so on. that way the qb can get in some sort of rythym and more closely resemble game situations. with only 3 or 4 reps at a time, they have to be looking over their shoulder after every throw, afraid to make a mistake.
That's what I think is starting to happen to JP. Once he makes a mistake, he begins to force it and starts panicking and making bad throws. :ill:

YardRat
07-29-2006, 07:06 PM
I disagree, Ed. Who are you going to kick to the curb at this point?

JP? He has 'potential' and the best physical tools, but has almost zero mental grasp of the game on Sunday's.

Holcomb? Less physically gifted than the other two, but perhaps a large edge in the brains department.

Nall? He's basically an unknown. In between Losman and Holcomb from a physical standpoint, and maybe even a mental one. Do you just push him down the depth chart this early when he may actually turn out to be the best of the three?

Let them battle it out for a few weeks this early. Number of reps in practice at this point is way over-rated, IMO. They count more when the pre-season starts, and a helluva lot more when the games are real. By then (hopefully) a clear-cut starter will be apparent.

billsburgh
07-29-2006, 07:09 PM
That's what I think is starting to happen to JP. Once he makes a mistake, he begins to force it and starts panicking and making bad throws. :ill:
that was one of his biggest problems last year. one bad throw or decision you could just see it in his body language. I thought that part of his maturing this year, he would start to get over that. every qb throw interceptions or bad passes. the great ones are able to put it behind them on the next play.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 07:12 PM
that was one of his biggest problems last year. one bad throw or decision you could just see it in his body language. I thought that part of his maturing this year, he would start to get over that. every qb throw interceptions or bad passes. the great ones are able to put it behind them on the next play.
But he is watching over his back and seeing Holcomb and Nall come in after only 3 or 4 snaps. That can't be good for any of their psyches. :ill:

billsburgh
07-29-2006, 07:21 PM
But he is watching over his back and seeing Holcomb and Nall come in after only 3 or 4 snaps. That can't be good for any of their psyches. :ill:
good point. I'm all for the open competition. it's just the way they are going about it I dont like. especeally with all 3 learning a new offense, how are they supposed to do anything productive with only 3 plays at a time.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 07:24 PM
good point. I'm all for the open competition. it's just the way they are going about it I dont like. especeally with all 3 learning a new offense, how are they supposed to do anything productive with only 3 plays at a time.
exactly. I like the idea of letting them each get a full series and then switching, or maybe a full day.

YardRat
07-29-2006, 07:37 PM

That certainly isn't a good sign then, is it?

Michael82
07-29-2006, 07:41 PM
That certainly isn't a good sign then, is it?
no. but he's still the best QB out there. If Nall is okay, I believe he will give the most competition to JP though. :up:

YardRat
07-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Might as well face the fact that Holcomb is going to be the #2 regardless of who the starter is (if he doesn't win the job outright), just because of his experience. The way I see it, JP and Nall are battling for #1 or #3.

Sink or swim for those two.

Michael82
07-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Might as well face the fact that Holcomb is going to be the #2 regardless of who the starter is (if he doesn't win the job outright), just because of his experience. The way I see it, JP and Nall are battling for #1 or #3.

Sink or swim for those two.
I totally disagree. I don't see Holcomb fitting in this offense and wouldn't be surprised that if he doesnt win the job, he gets cut or asks for his release.

im4bflo
07-30-2006, 12:58 AM
I feel bad for JP, the poor guy has gone through the strangest 3 years for a rookie QB, I have ever seen.
Hopefully coach DJ will let him fly or die, and give him a break!
JPD

Amare
07-30-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm sure they'll end it by 1st preseason game.

im4bflo
07-30-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm sure they'll end it by 1st preseason game.
No longer than after the first preseason game.

X-Era
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
is anyone else concerned about the limited # of reps each qb is getting in pracitce beacuse of the open competition? by now the coaches should have a pretty good idea of who has a better grasp of the new offense, making better reads and better throws. whoever the starter is, they need the max number of reps possible because it's a new system with new starters who need to develop that chemistry. if the competition goes on too long, it's only going to hurt the starting qb and the team as a whole.

Nah, its so damn early. The O is still very very simple, they probably havent installed more than 75% at this point.

Theres plenty of time. BUT, I say after the second pre-season game, make the call. That way, you get a good look at your starter in the 3rd game. They usually play a half or more. Game 4 is usually a bench your starters game.

But yes, I do want to see game action prior to the decision.

Its JP's decision making that has been in question, not his talent.

JoeMama
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM

Don't you worry, brother.

Dick Jauron has already said that he already has his #1 quarterback "in mind" but he won't share it with the public yet.

If you look at his stint in Chicago, his only winning season happened when he started an unheralded journeyman, Jim Miller. The two previous years he started Cade McNown & it nearly cost him his job.

Based on that, I have a hunch he'll go with the steady -- but unspectacular -- Kelly Holcomb & that he'll announce it midway thru August. I don't think Jauron is going to put all his eggs in Losman's basket just yet, since he's still so raw.

Like Marv Levy, Dick Jauron seems to prefer vets over young guys.