X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

I know... Another Starting QB Thread...

Question, assuming JP is named the starter, who should back him up and who should be the third stringer? Do we need to keep Holcomb on the rostyer if he and Nall have a comparable pre-season? Remember, this is assuming that JP is named the starter. What are your thoughts?
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Re: I know... Another Starting QB Thread...

This is the NFL where QBs get hurt on a regular basis. So, you need to have three QBs on the roster and available to play on game day.

Since the Bills do not presently have a # 4 QB that they are developing or that you would ever want to see on the field and Nall has even less actually starting experience than Losman, yes, the Bills do need to keep Holcomb, even if Losman wins the starting job and Nall beats out Holcomb as his back-up. Holcomb would give the Bills a reasonable back-up and an alternative to Nall should he be pressed into action.

If Craig Ochs had not gotten hurt at the end of the NFLE season, the team might have considered keeping him over Holcomb in the scenario you proposed because Ochs would have been someone that they might have wanted to develop. But, with Ochs out, cutting Holcomb would not save the team that much and signing a veteran QB to be the # 3 QB would negate any savings that the team might accomplish. So, count on Holcomb being around for this season even if he falls to # 3 on the depth chart.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

Interesting dilema: holcome would make sense, but Nall is getting paid a ton for a 3rd stringer.... does one get the axe?
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I agree with LBF, and think it will be a Losman-Nall-Holcomb depth chart this season. I think we signed Nall to be a stronger-armed backup to JP, with Holcomb in that proverbial clip board holding, baseball cap wearing, veteran-mentor-hope-we-never-see-him-on-the-field role.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• BillsNick
          • Jul 2003

With what we got, who gives a rat's a$$?

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by keithtr
            Interesting dilema: holcome would make sense, but Nall is getting paid a ton for a 3rd stringer.... does one get the axe?
            What matters more than how much each is paid is cap room. We have more than enough of it to comfortably keep all three QB's, so I really dont see any of them getting cut now.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
            X