PDA

View Full Version : What was the biggest mistake made with QB last year?

YardRat
07-29-2006, 08:44 PM
In your opinion, what was the biggest mistake Mike Mularkey/Tom Donahoe made with the QB's last year?

Dr. Lecter
07-29-2006, 11:12 PM
It was a combination of the three, I can't name just one. They had two choices last year; keep Drew and start him or go with JP and let him take his lumps and use the season as a throw away.

Instead they panic after 3 games, bench Losman and use Holcomb and the season was still a throw away.

Stupid.

DraftBoy
07-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Handing JP the job was our biggest mistake. Especially considering we then took it away shortly there after. If your gonna hand it to him, let him keep it all year long.

Jan Reimers
07-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Simple: Not letting JP start every game of the season. It stunted his development, damaged his confidence, and put us in the position this year of not knowing where we stand at QB.

SABURZFAN
07-30-2006, 05:02 AM
not bringing jim kelly out of mothballs.

Historian
07-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Simple: Not letting JP start every game of the season. It stunted his development, damaged his confidence, and put us in the position this year of not knowing where we stand at QB.

We have a winner.

Johnnie...tell him what he's won!

djjimkelly
07-30-2006, 06:23 AM
i pikced other. while each choice has merit taking JP out after they threw him to dogs with the most comcial gameplan of the year vs the patriots was the biggest mistake mularky and donahoe made. losman should have started vs the broncos bengals and jets to end the year. the picture about him might not be clearer but it would have been an extra 150-200 reps of experience!

YardRat
07-30-2006, 06:39 AM
I think cutting Bledsoe was, because that move was the initiative for the debacle for the rest of the year.

Should've kept Drew for '05 and worked Losman into the line-up when Bledsoe was ineffective. I think JP would be in much better position to take the job this year if he were brought along a little more slowly.

Luisito23
07-30-2006, 07:05 AM
I think cutting Bledsoe was, because that move was the initiative for the debacle for the rest of the year.

Should've kept Drew for '05 and worked Losman into the line-up when Bledsoe was ineffective. I think JP would be in much better position to take the job this year if he were brought along a little more slowly.

Good post, I feel the same way...

GO BILLS!!!!!

SABURZFAN
07-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I think JP would be in much better position to take the job this year if he were brought along a little more slowly.

i see your point but losman did take his licks and got a feel for the speed of the NFL.a few of above-average QB's took their lumps in the beginning.(aikman,p.manning,etc...)the mismanagement of the previous regime didn't help losman's confidence either.in a season where we were so horrible,losman is the supposed future and he was caught in between a rock and a hard place.the previous regime had no idea where to go and the playcalling proved it.they had nothing set up to utilize losman's mobility to compensate the swiss cheese OL.(thanks Donna Ho :rolleyes: )

don't get me wrong but i'm not sold on losman just yet.i haven't been from the beginning.you can ask Pastor Ted about my reaction to the pick.he was standing right next to me,at Reckkio's,when it happened.but in all fairness,i can't really criticize his play because i feel he wasn't used properly.not to mention that he looked like a squirrel caught in traffic because nobody could block up front for him.

RoanokeVABillsFan
07-30-2006, 10:05 AM
I chose other also. I'm not completely sold on J.P. either, but there is no way you start a young QB and yank him in and out of the lineup. The encouraging part was that he did improve some even without the full backing from the coaching staff and some of his teammates. It will be interesting to see how the competition plays out in camp, I hope the light bulb clicks on for either J.P. or Nall (too bad about the hamstring tweak) and the team can move forward together!

The_Philster
07-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I chose other...because it was a big combination of all 3

MikeInRoch
07-30-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm still amazed that anyone thinks cutting Bledsoe was a bad idea.

YardRat
07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm still amazed that anyone thinks cutting Bledsoe was a bad idea.

What's really amazing is that if Bledsoe were in Bills camp this year, he'd still probably be head-and-shoulders above the other three and #1 on the depth chart.

DraftBoy
07-30-2006, 11:33 AM

Here is my issue with this, thats like saying we didnt care about last season whatsoever. Only about seeing if JP had it or not. Alot of us thought we could be a playoff team last season. Now what Mularkey did was wrong and idiotic, but I do not see giving JP every start last year as a conceivable option, based on what he has shown to date. He needed to earn his place, and keep it, not just be handed the job and then have it yanked away.

TacklingDummy
07-30-2006, 11:34 AM

I agree and disagree with this.

Benching Losman the first time was the right thing to do. It would of hurt what little confidence he had left keeping him in after back to back 75 yard games.

The second time they benched Losman, supposedly due to injury, they should of never of done. Losman should of stayed in there the 2nd time around.

DraftBoy
07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree and disagree with this.

Benching Losman the first time was the right thing to do. It would of hurt what little confidence he had left keeping him in after back to back 75 yard games.

The second time they benched Losman, supposedly due to injury, they should of never of done. Losman should of stayed in there the 2nd time around.

Well said! :bf1:

The_Philster
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Here is my issue with this, thats like saying we didnt care about last season whatsoever. Only about seeing if JP had it or not. Alot of us thought we could be a playoff team last season. Now what Mularkey did was wrong and idiotic, but I do not see giving JP every start last year as a conceivable option, based on what he has shown to date. He needed to earn his place, and keep it, not just be handed the job and then have it yanked away.
It might be true that we could've possibly been a playoff team with a solid QB at the helm. Unfortunately, the only QB we've had in the past few years that fit that description is playing in Dallas

YardRat
07-30-2006, 12:45 PM
It might be true that we could've possibly been a playoff team with a solid QB at the helm. Unfortunately, the only QB we've had in the past few years that fit that description is playing in Dallas

Because we let him go one year too early.

Philagape
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Not to :deadhorse: but I think Drew would have done much worse here than he did in Dallas and would not have made much of a difference (certainly not four more wins). Even during the winning streak in 04, he contributed little to it.

The_Philster
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Not to :deadhorse: but I think Drew would have done much worse here than he did in Dallas and would not have made much of a difference (certainly not four more wins). Even during the winning streak in 04, he contributed little to it.
I have to agree...as much as I think Drew would've been better than any QB we had on our roster last year, our O-line, especially up the middle, was far worse than what Dallas had ..and Drew has never had the escapability to deal with a quick collapsing pocket

Meathead
07-30-2006, 03:56 PM
even bledsoe said hed probably have stayed if they said the competition was open. that would have been the best choice imo

leaving losman in to keep ****ting the bed wasnt an option either. after averaging less than 100 yards passing to start the first part of the season they needed competent qb play to keep their fading playoff hopes alive. i would have been pissed had they just thrown away the season at that point so the move to holcomb was absolutely the right one at that moment

the most maddening mistake however was not playing losman every game he could the end of the season. what the hell holcomb in there accomplished i havent the foggiest

Night Train
07-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Not sticking With Losman after the KC win.

RedEyE
07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I see it a little of both ways...

It's **** in one hand and piss in another...

Had Bledsoe stayed on another year fans would have been calling for his head by mid-season. Besides, Bledsoe would have been creamed behind that line last year. I don't know about the rest of you, but I was tired of a 50+ sack season QB. It was time to generate new excitment and give the young talent a try.

Now, I totally agree with some of you about the way Mularkey pulled JP. He certainly had enough faith in JP 8 months before the seeason even started. 3 weeks of game play makes a huge difference?

He should have stuck to his guns, the indecisive *****bag. Look at the way he fled Buffalo. He knew that he had made too many mistakes to turn the team around and it's so obvious that he has ZERO confidence in his own coaching abilities. He wasn't even man enough to walk into Ralph's office to resign.

The mistake was assigning a QB before he even proved himself in training camp. Bledsoe might not have been the right fit for last years team, but keeping him around wouldn't have been so much a bad thing either. Having him mentoring JP and then giving up the reigns once it was certain that the season was lost, wouldn't have been the worst idea either.