PDA

View Full Version : Nall out indefinitely

Philagape
07-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Off the AP wire at work ...

By JOHN WAWROW
AP Sports Writer
PITTSFORD, N.Y. (AP) - Buffalo quarterback Craig Nall did not take part in a Bills walkthrough training camp session Sunday and is out indefinitely with an injured left hamstring.
Coach Dick Jauron said it's difficult to determine how much time Nall will miss or the severity of the injury after the player was hurt near the end of practice Saturday.
"We do kind of have to take it day to day, but I wouldn't say it's minor because we know he's going to miss some time," Jauron said.
Nall was hurt in the final 15 minutes of the second of two practices Saturday when he pulled up while scrambling in the backfield during 11-on-11 drills.
The injury represents a potentially significant setback for Nall, who was in the competitive mix for the Bills starting job with J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb.
"It's really disappointing and it's obviously severely disappointing for him," Jauron said. "But he's a professional, been around for a while and he knows this happens. And once it happens, there's nothing you can do about it except get it well as fast as you can."

shelby
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
This changes the complexion of the quarterback competition altogether!

kinigirly
07-30-2006, 05:27 PM
i'll be damned. i'm even more stressed out now. i'm gonna have a knotted up stomach until the qb is named

Mitchy moo
07-30-2006, 06:05 PM
You gals need to relax and have a few drinks, JP is going to start.

Kerr
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
gee, that's too bad.

JP!

Iehoshua
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Who cares? So we may need another THIRD string Qb....

The_Philster
07-30-2006, 06:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/9578623

DraftBoy
07-30-2006, 06:52 PM
damn, Jp better step it up!

HHURRICANE
07-30-2006, 07:46 PM

I was really hoping JP as the starter, Nall as the backup, and Holcomb maybe got traded for someone else we might need.

shelby
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
My question is....if the injury is significant enough to keep him off the field for the next two to three months....will he be kept on the roster?

Turf
07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
We paid this guy 2.5 million no?

DraftBoy
07-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I think that its gonna be atleast a week or two. Hammies are tough to play on bc there are varying degrees by which it may have been hurt. I dont see 2-3 months though, considering he was walking around without a noticeable limp.

ibatiger
07-30-2006, 08:58 PM

"Indefinitely" is overkill. He has an injury that would typically take from a few days to one to two weeks at the most. He's day to day. He could be back at practice on Tuesday or it may be next Tuesday. Nothing is changing as far as the QBs go except that Holcomb and Losman will get his reps until he's back.

ibatiger
07-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Who cares? So we may need another THIRD string Qb....

For your information genius, Nall was probably leading in the battle for the starting job when he went out. Far from third string. In any event nothing will be decided until he is back at 100%.

ibatiger
07-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I think that its gonna be atleast a week or two. Hammies are tough to play on bc there are varying degrees by which it may have been hurt. I dont see 2-3 months though, considering he was walking around without a noticeable limp.

Nall has tweaked his ham at least two previous times and it has never been more than a few days or a week before he's back. I don't know for sure, but judging by the fact that he is moving around pretty good, I don't expect this one to be worse than the previous ones if even as bad.

OpIv37
07-30-2006, 09:07 PM
For your information genius, Nall was probably leading in the battle for the starting job when he went out. Far from third string. In any event nothing will be decided until he is back at 100%.

Are you Nall's brother or something? You seem a little defensive about this.

Like I said in the other Nall thread, it doesn't matter. Either it's JP, or we're screwed. Nall is not the savior of this team. JP may not be the savior either, but if he isn't, expect at least another 2-3 years of offensive struggles while the decade-old search for Jim Kelly's replacement continues.

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I bet Holcomb pulled a Tonya Harding on Nall. :snicker:

Philagape
07-30-2006, 09:49 PM
"Indefinitely" is overkill. He has an injury that would typically take from a few days to one to two weeks at the most.

Which is, by definition, indefinitely.

Mr. Miyagi
07-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Which is, by definition, indefinitely.
:bf1: Take that!

:rofl:

Drive 4 Five
07-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Well maybe now the QB's will get an effective amount of repetitions. None of this splitting time between 3 QB's crap. Maybe fate is stepping in and forcing Jauron to narrow the competition down so that maybe someone can actually benefit.

ibatiger
07-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Are you Nall's brother or something? You seem a little defensive about this.

Like I said in the other Nall thread, it doesn't matter. Either it's JP, or we're screwed. Nall is not the savior of this team. JP may not be the savior either, but if he isn't, expect at least another 2-3 years of offensive struggles while the decade-old search for Jim Kelly's replacement continues.

No, I'm not his brother or something. It's just that people don't even read or follow the reports and they make asinine assumptions. And why are we screwed if Nall is the QB? Did you ever think that he might be good? You can't look at anything he's done and say that he for sure isn't. And if he were to be the one who emerges from the competition as the starter then maybe it's because he's that good and not because Losman and Holcomb are no good. Anyway, everybody will get a chance to see them all play in preseason and make up their own minds along with the coaches. Why make blanket negative statements about somebody most on here have never seen play?

RockStar36
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Nall wasn't going to start anyways, so it basically puts us where we ended last season.

JP will start opening day.

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-31-2006, 12:23 AM
I want JP to start as much as everyone else, but I can't say I wasn't impressed by Nall at camp yesterday. He was by far the most consistent of the three. If the competition comes down to JP and Holcomb then I would bet money it will be JP based on what I saw at camp.

jamze132
07-31-2006, 02:59 AM
Doom and Gloom! Nall is out! Damn, now we are really screwed! We are in so much worse shape now that a guy who has never started a game in his career has a strained hammy.

Someone explain to me why this is a huge concern? Everyone knows that our QB situation isn't the greatest, and that JP is probably starting the season anyways. It's been 2 days so far. Come on!

YardRat
07-31-2006, 05:29 AM
Some people are really going to be pissed if this benefits Holcomb, and not JP.

jamze132
07-31-2006, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't say pissed is the word. Disapointed, maybe. But not pissed. Like I have said before, I will support whoever is the signal caller.

Michael82
07-31-2006, 08:04 AM
I was really hoping JP as the starter, Nall as the backup, and Holcomb maybe got traded for someone else we might need.
I was hoping the same thing. I don't want that back stabbing, can't throw for **** Backup QB on this team if JP wins the job.

OpIv37
07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
No, I'm not his brother or something. It's just that people don't even read or follow the reports and they make asinine assumptions. And why are we screwed if Nall is the QB? Did you ever think that he might be good? You can't look at anything he's done and say that he for sure isn't. And if he were to be the one who emerges from the competition as the starter then maybe it's because he's that good and not because Losman and Holcomb are no good. Anyway, everybody will get a chance to see them all play in preseason and make up their own minds along with the coaches. Why make blanket negative statements about somebody most on here have never seen play?

I think some people have too high hopes for Nall. The guy's basically there just to motivate JP and be a back-up. Not a bad pick-up, but not the guy that's going to rescue this team from the depths of mediocrity. People are getting too excited about a 4-year player who's never started and was basically brought in as a 3rd string QB (that garbage about open competition is only to avoid repeating the mistake Mularkey made with the vets by appointing JP the starter last year).

North_Coast
07-31-2006, 08:38 AM

If Losman can't do better than Holcomb, then he doesn't deserve to start. I want to see Losman blossom into a first-rate QB, but the fact is, some QBs, even 1st rounders, take longer than others to develop, and some never develop at all. We all know that JP has far more physical talent than Holcomb, so if he can't beat out the vet, then it's either because he's not ready yet, or, oh no!, he's a dud.

OpIv37
07-31-2006, 08:45 AM
If Losman can't do better than Holcomb, then he doesn't deserve to start. I want to see Losman blossom into a first-rate QB, but the fact is, some QBs, even 1st rounders, take longer than others to develop, and some never develop at all. We all know that JP has far more physical talent than Holcomb, so if he can't beat out the vet, then it's either because he's not ready yet, or, oh no!, he's a dud.

None of this "yet" crap. If Losman doesn't beat out Holcomb this year, he should be kept around as a back-up and cut on January 2 next year. I'm pulling for JP, but I don't want to be the Redskins with Ramsey, the Lions with Harrington, the Ravens with Boller, etc- and just keep giving Losman chance after chance while paying the opportunity cost of not being able to find/develop a real QB.

If JP doesn't come into his own this year as a legit starting NFL QB, it's time to cut our losses and move on.