PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt: Price worth it, Spikes not

Judge
02-20-2003, 07:50 AM
I heard an interview with former Dallas Cowboys personnel guru Gil Brandt on WNSA this morning- he's now on sportingnews.com, I believe. I'm paraphrasing, but this is what I heard out of it-

Interesting points of view from him:

- He felt that Peerless had to be tagged because he is too valuable as an asset to give up w/o getting something in return and valuable enough to keep.

- Takeo Spikes is a risk to break the bank for, because LB's are NOT the type of impact players who make a difference between winning and losing compared to a QB, left Offensive Tackle, or right DE who's a killer pass rusher. He thinks LB's can be found at a lower salary who can fill the role sufficiently.

Interesting view from a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Pride
02-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Thats funny, didnt dallas draft Quincy Carter for their QB of the future? And after that didn't work, they went and got Chad Huchinson to take his place.

hmmm yeah, take everything this guy says and reverse it.

THATHURMANATOR
02-20-2003, 08:46 AM
How do you know those were his decisions?? I agree with what he is saying.

Halbert
02-20-2003, 08:48 AM
That makes sense except Peerless is a WR. Assuming we could swap PP for Spikes at approx the same salary, who wouldn't want to do that (considering the needs of this team)?

The only caveat there is that if we can deal PP then we get something for him PLUS we could still sign someone like Spikes and lose nothing. But that wasn't the argument the writer was making.

Judge
02-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Pride
Thats funny, didnt dallas draft Quincy Carter for their QB of the future? And after that didn't work, they went and got Chad Huchinson to take his place.

hmmm yeah, take everything this guy says and reverse it.

Gil Brandt was not there then. He was part of the Tom Landry era, I believe- his success speaks for itself, and has been an insightful columnist.

Maybe you shouldn't talk so quickly.

Gunzlingr
02-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Judge

Maybe you shouldn't talk so quickly.

Geez, why are you always so judgemental? :D

Bulldog
02-20-2003, 09:21 AM
- Takeo Spikes is a risk to break the bank for, because LB's are NOT the type of impact players who make a difference between winning and losing compared to a QB, left Offensive Tackle, or right DE who's a killer pass rusher.

See Ray Lewis!! That guy can flat out take over a game just as much as anyone.

:punchu:

Judge
02-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by gunzlingr

Geez, why are you always so judgemental? :D

That's my gimmick here!

Judge
02-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
[BSee Ray Lewis!! That guy can flat out take over a game just as much as anyone.

:punchu: [/B]

You think Takeo Spikes is as much of an impact guy as Ray Lewis? And do we have the DL in place that would give either Takeo or Ray for that matter the ability to be that kind of impact player?

The_Philster
02-20-2003, 11:06 AM

That's my gimmick here!

And posting 1000-word posts was taken. ;)

Bulldog
02-20-2003, 11:44 AM

You think Takeo Spikes is as much of an impact guy as Ray Lewis? And do we have the DL in place that would give either Takeo or Ray for that matter the ability to be that kind of impact player?

Yeah, I do put Takeo in the same class as Ray Lewis. Considering that Takeo was tremendously successful in Cincy with a weak DL, why woulden't he be in Buffalo. It's not like the Bengals had some monsterous DL.:scratch:

colin
02-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Takeo is a better LB than Price is a WR. Both are outstanding, but Takeo is supernice because he can do it all ont he field. Price is currently the second best WR on our team.

ArcticWildMan
02-20-2003, 11:55 AM
I'd much rather take my chances with Josh Reed and Takeo Spikes than Peerless and who we currently have for LB.

Pride
02-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Excellent Post AWM!

Throne Logic
02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Lots of folks are complaining about how much it's going to cost to have both Price and Moulds. Upsetting the balance and all. But what about adding someone like Spikes to a position that already has Fletcher? Same problem.

Also, don't forget that Josh Reed, as the #3, was a bigger reason for the Offense's success than most will give credit for. He caught a number of HUGE 3rd down passes to keep the chains moving. This Offense needs 3 solid receivers to work.

LB's are easier to find. And many are cheaper than Spikes.

Judge
02-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Lots of folks are complaining about how much it's going to cost to have both Price and Moulds. Upsetting the balance and all. But what about adding someone like Spikes to a position that already has Fletcher? Same problem.

Also, don't forget that Josh Reed, as the #3, was a bigger reason for the Offense's success than most will give credit for. He caught a number of HUGE 3rd down passes to keep the chains moving. This Offense needs 3 solid receivers to work.

LB's are easier to find. And many are cheaper than Spikes.

Very solid points!

Fatwhite02
02-20-2003, 01:50 PM
It boils down to would you rather have a real explosive offense w/ Price and Moulds

Or a lot better defense w/ Spikes and Fletcher roaming as LB's