PDA

View Full Version : Talks Stalled Between Whitner And Bills via SI.com

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/07/31/bc.fbn.bills.whitner.ap/index.html

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I guess I can mark Whitner off my annual jersey purchase list.

THATHURMANATOR
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Why?

Captain gameboy
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
What kind of a clown doesn't give an operating phone number to his first real employer who is about to jack up 20+ mil for his services?

Philagape
07-31-2006, 02:37 PM
the Bills have even had difficulty reaching the player by phone, saying the four numbers they have for Whitner have been disconnected.

:doh: only in Buffalo

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
What a **** head. They offered him what Huff got and its not enough. He wont last in Buffalo like this.

justasportsfan
07-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Although Levy has left contract talks to team vice president Jim Overdorf, Levy said he took the unusual step of contacting Whitner's agent on Monday to spur negotiations.

"I said to him, 'I just want you to know, if we have to go forth without him, we will,' and I left it at that," said Levy. "I wanted to tell him that the young man's opportunity to win the starting position is diminishing swiftly."

Good Marv. Screw these unproven rookies who haven't done squat to deserve such $$ even if it's a bills player.

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Picking up Bowen is looking better and better every day.

Kerr
07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
If it came down to it, could this guy be traded?

Anyone know?

Jan Reimers
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Boy, he didn't let his surprisingly high draft status go to his head, did he?

If they offered him money right between Huff and Sims, you'd have to believe contract length is the issue. Either that, or Whitner or his agent are total asses.

YardRat
07-31-2006, 02:52 PM
"It won't be long," Whitner told The Associated Press, adding he doesn't believe the issues separating the two sides are major.

Levy said Hurst was not happy with the Bills' offer.

Reading that it seems it's neither Whitner or OBD that are holding up the process...it's the agent.

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
If it came down to it, could this guy be traded?

Anyone know?
I doubt it since he isnt under contract.

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 02:54 PM
"It won't be long," Whitner told The Associated Press, adding he doesn't believe the issues separating the two sides are major.

Reading that it seems it's neither Whitner or OBD that are holding up the process...it's the agent.
Sounds like its time to start firing.

Ickybaluky
07-31-2006, 02:55 PM
His agent, Johnathan Hurst, is the same guy Adam Vinatieri fired this past offseason. He is handling Neil Cornrich's practice while Cornrich serves his suspension from the NFLPA. Their practice is based in Ohio, and they get a lot of Ohio State players (like Mike Vrabel).

Jan Reimers
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
I doubt it since he isnt under contract.
I think they could trade his rights. But I don't think it will come to that. He just has to show us what an arrogant little jerk he is first.

I'm sure I'll come to love the guy in time. Right now, though, I'd like to wring his neck.

!Papacrunk!
07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't worry, it's still early yet, I'm sure he'll sign pretty soon. Seems like he's a bright kid (football wise), I'm sure he'll pick things up rather quickly. Especially with the 1st overall pick, draftees have signed relatively quickly this year compared to last year, making it seem like a bigger deal than it really is. We're still waiting for Jason Allen to sign, we want him for 5 years, his agent/Allen want 4.

Captain gameboy
07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
In two weeks this will be a non event.
In the old days long holdouts were the norm.
No big deal yet.
I bet he gives his agent 24 hours, then tells him to pull the trigger.

I think this guy is going to be special.

BillsFever21
07-31-2006, 03:18 PM

The player doesn't work for the agent. If Whitner wanted to be in camp he would.

We made him extra millions by drafting him higher then he should've been and that's still not enough.

Goobylal
07-31-2006, 03:19 PM
We're still waiting for Jason Allen to sign, we want him for 5 years, his agent/Allen want 4.
What?! That's ridiculous. Since he was the 16th pick, the Dolphins can ask for a SIX-year contract. A 5-year should be a no-brainer for Allen. Morons (Allen and his agent)!

BillsFever21
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
But the Bills only draft "high character" players.

But according some some nitwits it's not a big deal if he isn't signed yet.

!Papacrunk!
07-31-2006, 03:25 PM
What?! That's ridiculous. Since he was the 16th pick, the Dolphins can ask for a SIX-year contract. A 5-year should be a no-brainer for Allen. Morons (Allen and his agent)!

Actually I'm the moron. I just went back and double-checked it and I had it wrong--Phins want 6 year, he wants 5. I think they may do a five year w/ an option on the 6th.

YardRat
07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
The player doesn't work for the agent. If Whitner wanted to be in camp he would.

We made him extra millions by drafting him higher then he should've been and that's still not enough.

He's a twenty, twenty-one year old kid who probably actually believes the agent has his (Whitner's) best interests in mind.

HHURRICANE
07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/07/31/bc.fbn.bills.whitner.ap/

Yep, Marv went to the press, that's a bad sign. It sounds like it's about the money and not the length of the deal.

It sounds like Whitner might want to tell his agent to get him on the field.

shelby
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Go Marv!

"I said to him, 'I just want you to know, if we have to go forth without him, we will,' and I left it at that," said Levy. "I wanted to tell him that the young man's opportunity to win the starting position is diminishing swiftly."

Mitchy moo
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
crap.:candle:

LtFinFan66
07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Go Marv!That's like when Saban gets asked about Jason Allen not being signed all he says is "We coach the guys who are in camp....that is for the front office to worry about"

SquishDaFish
07-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Go Marv

gr8slayer
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Already been posted

shelby
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Merged:D

Tatonka
07-31-2006, 11:17 PM
if you think agents dont fill peoples head with ****, your wrong. this sounds like a case of the agent working the player. it will get done soon.

SABURZFAN
08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm sure I'll come to love the guy in time. Right now, though, I'd like to wring his neck.

calm down tough guy. :snicker:

Jan Reimers
08-01-2006, 04:03 AM
If this thing goes on much longer, I think Whitner will put himself in jeopardy of not winning the starting SS job, at least at the beginning of the year. He's a talented kid, but there's much to learn, and not very much time between now and the start of the season. Every day of camp is crucial.

I hope, at least in Whitner's mind, that the concessions his agent finally gets (if any), are worth sacrificing a rookie's chance to start on opening day in the NFL.

don137
08-01-2006, 06:16 AM
The longer he is out the less chance he will develop chemistry with his teammates and have the system down which makes him prone to mistakes. Rookies are more prone to make mistakes. Throw in having an agent think he is better than he leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know the deal will get done and we will end up loving the guy but it sounds like the Bills have been fair and he is hurting his teammates and the fans right now.

jamze132
08-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Well if the guy doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, he would obviously try to get the minimum years possible. This could be a hold up with Whitner as well.

jamze132
08-01-2006, 06:53 AM
I think Whitner's agent is an ass! He is trying to fill Whitner's head with all this crap about we can sitout and make them come to us, and you are good enough, you aren't really missing anything, bla bla bla. Horse****! Whitner hopefully will come to his senses and get rid of this guy soon. How the hell can the #7 guy drafted and the #9 guy drafted be signed and the #8 guy isn't? It's quite obvious that he was offered the middle ground of #7 and #8. His agent is an idiot! I seriously doubt that Buffalo is lowballing him.

jamze132
08-01-2006, 06:55 AM
I wish sometimes I was an investigatory journalist!

TacklingDummy
08-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Good Marv. Screw these unproven rookies who haven't done squat to deserve such $$ even if it's a bills player.

Trade Whitner now. He doesn't want to be a Bill then the Bills don't want him.

Mike13
08-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Trade Whitner now. He doesn't want to be a Bill then the Bills don't want him.

Have patience He'll sign.

Richard Gozinya
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm just glad ****ner made it to the voluntary photo ops back in May. According to the McGahee-bashers, that's where team unity is built.

If ****ner misses a preseason game with this Clarett-esque nonsense, he can go screw as far as I'm concerned.