PDA

View Full Version : A "Realist" View from Training Camp

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 07:42 AM
One man's view of camp last night and holy crap is it hot outside.
Since I am stingy with compliments, if I give one out then you KNOW That person is looking real good. So without further ado.

THE GOOD
* I dont know why he was never used this way in Washington, but at least right now Robert Royal is looking like an absolute STEAL. Everyone knew he was big and could block, but this guy has VERY underrated hands. If he keeps looking like this and we actually use the TE in the passing game for once, this guy is going to have some way above average numbers. At least the two times I've seen him now, he reminds me a lot of a better blocking Pete Metzalars.

* Jason Peters is starting to look too good to not be playing left tackle. I dont think I seen anyone even come close to getting past him. He looks strong and MOBILE. Its only a matter of time, especially now that he's locked in long-term that we move him over to the left side.

* Willis looks really good and so does Anthony Thomas. Thomas is quicker than I thought at getting to the outside..

* Peerless Price looked like a legit starting WR and man he's still got a lot of speed. This is good news because I also liked the way Roscoe Parrish is looking. If Parrish wins the #3 over Rump Reed and throw in Evans (Who looks like he's handling No. 1 well-though too early to tell) then we really do have some serious speed at the position.

* Dont be so quick to project Simpson as the 4th or 5th safety this year. This dude makes plays and he can bring the noise. He's going to play plenty as a rookie. To be honest, had Levy known that Simpson would fall to the 4th round I really dont think he would've taken Whitner in the first, though one is a FS and the other a SS.

* I also liked the way McCargo gets around, and damn Crowell is a lot faster than he seems on TV as well. As a whole, the secondary looks really quick to the ball, especially the corners.

* I LOVE the throwback helmets

THE BAD
* I know you'll all think I'm biased because I dont like him- whatever. But I'm not impressed with JP Losman at all. He makes GREAT plays and then he comes back with absolutely HORRIBLE throws and decisions. I'm telling you now ifhe starts this year he's going to give you all ulcers. When you look at him run and you watch him throw the ball, you find it amazing that he's even in a battle for a starting spot because he looks so damn good physically (and not in a gay way)... But man, once the whistle blows he's so god damn inconsistent. He'll throw a perfect ball to a streaking Wilson 45 yards down the field, and a couple plays later he throws a pass that could've been intercepted by half the defense. IMO, he better QUICKLY learn how to have more patience and consistency, or he aint starting.

* Holcomb aint no better. He's smarter than JP, he checks off A HELL of a lot faster and he gets rid of the ball much better (though he could've been sacked a few times last night). BUT, the hype is true, his arm really is rubber. Man its bad. Our speed at WR will go to complete waste with him starting, as teams will just play short zones and move guys up since he cant burn anyone with a deep ball down the sideline. I dont like JP, BUT if Nall falls too far behind- JP has to start. After watching them again live, defenses will KILL us unless somene with an arm is behind center.. Holcomb blows I dont how to say it anymore.

* Gandy looks like ****, but I'm gonna give all OL the benefit of the doubt they're still trying to get in shape.. But when Ryan Denney makes you look like a pylon you got some serious work to do.

* Our DL aint looking too good, which is no surprise. I know this sounds crazy, but from what little I've seen so far (and I"ll be seeing a lot more soon)- McCargo actually looks like the best player on this DL outside of Triplett (who I didnt see much of at all), and I am including Aaron Schobel. Basically, our DT's look better than our DE's.

SUMMARY
Although I've seen little to change my mind about our suckiness for this season. I must admit that our speed is a hell of a lot better than I thought it to be. Some of these guys can fly. I think we're better off at WR than I originally gave credit for, and I'll tell you what- Angelo Crowell is going to be serious player in this league. If Spikes makes it back and Crowell aint paid attention to he's going to have 8-10 sacks and a couple of picks. our secondary looks REAL good and if Whitner gets his ass in here that's going to be the SURE FIRE strength of our team. Peters is going to be a Pro Bowler I think.

Most of all, Im shocked at how good Royal looks catching the ball. This guy was a GREAT pickup, maybe could turn out to be one of the steals of the entire NFL free agency, he looks THAT good.

There are two things they MUST get rectified.. Get this clown Holcomb holding a clipboard. We probably will suck with JP anyway, but at least he's CAPABLE of making plays- (he really has a strong arm you have to see it live to appreciate it).. Maybe as the year goes on he'll get smarter with his decisions-but we're going nowhere with Holcomb.

And I'm also horribly concerned about our DE's, they are even WORSE than I thought. I would scour the waiver wire for cuts from other teams at this spot once they start happening. Kelsay is in danger of losing his job to Denney, thats how pathetic its getting.

Mitchy moo
08-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Most of the things you said lead me to believe that the Bills will improve. To say they will suck at this early junction is a being a bit narrow minded and childish. Every team is going to have a few hickups this early in the year and needs to make adjustments. We are NOT the only team out there w/ similiar situations.

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 07:58 AM
I will admit the Bills didnt look as bad as I thought they would.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Pat good report!! MY thoughts:

As I have said numerous times Peters is my favorite player. He will be a pro-bowler.

It's fair to say that JP isn't a superstar. But with all of that speed at the WR position JP is going to be the starter. Now I'm frustrated that Nall is hurt because it sounds like he might be competing for at least #2. Holcomb is always going to throw the short pass because he knows he doesn't have an arm.

Robert Royal is not surprsing to me. Great move.

How about our new FB. Marv is a little better GM than people thought!!

Final point. All of our DE's suck. We better hope for alot of pressue from our LB's because it aint coming from Schobel and company!!

jmb1099
08-02-2006, 08:03 AM
I will admit the Bills didnt look as bad as I thought they would.
This is what I appreciate about you Pat, good camp report. If Losman is making some great plays 3 days into camp than I am confident he will improve. Hitting a streaking receiver 45 yards down the field if done consistently is going to kill. One other thing...many other large name starting QB's have also made bone headed plays the first few days of camp this year for what its worth.

Patti120
08-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Great report,

What has me scared is that an average (at best) d line is making some of the guys on our o-line look like ****. I know that its a work in progress so hopefully they gell asap and stay injury free.

Also, QB whici is the biggest questions sounds like it could be our downfall again based upon jp's development and KH being KH.

We will have to wait and see though. Hopefully they pull it together and give us some good games to watch.

OpIv37
08-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Most of the things you said lead me to believe that the Bills will improve. To say they will suck at this early junction is a being a bit narrow minded and childish. Every team is going to have a few hickups this early in the year and needs to make adjustments. We are NOT the only team out there w/ similiar situations.

but you said the Bills are going to the Super Bowl- why is it childish and narrow minded to say the Bills will suck at this early juncture, but not childish and narrow minded to think they'll do well?

Hypocrite.

OpIv37
08-02-2006, 08:09 AM
\
* I dont know why he was never used this way in Washington, but at least right now Robert Royal is looking like an absolute STEAL. E

For the record, the reason he wasn't used that way in Washington is because of Chris Cooley, who can play FB and is also a great receiver from the TE position. Whenever the Skins needed production from TE, they used Cooley instead of Royal because of Cooley's versatility. This isn't a knock on Royal- just saying the Skins have another player that they liked better for those situations (which also contributed to why they let Royal get away).

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM
I want to see a couple more practices and at least one preseason game but...

1- I can tell you right now Kelly Holcomb is a bum and if its possible to have a weaker arm than he had last year, its true.

2- I am FAR from convinced this coaching staff is locked on JP, they need to STOP this 50/50 snap crap and let JP take more reps.. If Kelly Holcomb is such a solid vet, he shouldnt need 50% of the snaps to be prepared.. JP needs 75% of the snaps.. He has a cannon arm but is still at times making ridiculous decisions.. And he also leaves the pocket too early.

BUT.. Like I said.. at times he looks like a superstar.. I'm more sold on him than I was yesterday, but he needs WORk.. 50% of snaps wont cut it.

OpIv37
08-02-2006, 08:11 AM

also, why are you so concerned with other teams at this point? That comes later- first the Bills need to learn to execute within their own system.

Mitchy moo
08-02-2006, 08:17 AM
also, why are you so concerned with other teams at this point? That comes later- first the Bills need to learn to execute within their own system.

We don't play ourselves, we play our opponents. This isn't like Billiards where it's you vs the table it's us vs the best team our opponents can field. Many teams make the playoffs because they have to play so/so divsional opponents. San Fran made a living for years traumatizing it's division and conference and the Bills did the same in the early 90's. We're we ever worried about NE or even the Jets?

Point being we will improve with practice as well as the other teams but it's who we play and when that helps determine the outcomes. NE usually plays lousy the first few weeks, IE or 31-0 drubbing of them and their eventual rise to glory. I'll take another 31-0 drubbing of them and call me in the morning, lol.

Earthquake Enyart
08-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I remember when we used to type small like this. :::

OpIv37
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
We don't play ourselves, we play our opponents. This isn't like Billiards where it's you vs the table it's us vs the best team our opponents can field. Many teams make the playoffs because they have to play so/so divsional opponents. San Fran made a living for years traumatizing it's division and conference and the Bills did the same in the early 90's. We're we ever worried about NE or even the Jets?

Point being we will improve with practice as well as the other teams but it's who we play and when that helps determine the outcomes. NE usually plays lousy the first few weeks, IE or 31-0 drubbing of them and their eventual rise to glory. I'll take another 31-0 drubbing of them and call me in the morning, lol.

you can't count on other teams losing games- the Bills have to be able to win them. Even if other teams have flaws or make mistakes, we'll still lose games if we don't execute. You're basically trying to say the Bills are better because other teams are bad, and you can't count on that. In addition, you seem to think other teams aren't going to improve or fix their holes but we are- it's illogical.

And NE doesn't usually suck their first few games- since the 31-0 drubbing they beat the Colts and and the Raiders in their first game.

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
I failed to mention..
It looks like Greer is way ahead of King for the nickel spot...

If the Bills keep the new FB and Shelton, someone is out as a HB, and that dont look good for Shaud Williams. I REALLY think they're keeping Burns for his ST prowess.

But I dont think they are keeping 2 FB's

jamze132
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
For the record, the reason he wasn't used that way in Washington is because of Chris Cooley, who can play FB and is also a great receiver from the TE position. Whenever the Skins needed production from TE, they used Cooley instead of Royal because of Cooley's versatility. This isn't a knock on Royal- just saying the Skins have another player that they liked better for those situations (which also contributed to why they let Royal get away).
I totally agree with you on your assessment.

jamze132
08-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Pat, Nice report. I like the fact that you pointed out what was good and bad in detail. Keep it up and you might be considered an honorary homer!

jamze132
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM

I hear ya, but I think it's more important to take care of our own business first. I hope the games we lose this year are because the other team beat us and not because we beat ourselves making boneheaded fundamental mistakes. Those are just unexcusebale. If we play solid football, we will be in every game every week.

Jan Reimers
08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Great report, Pat.

The only thing I can say about Losman is that he should get better with more game experience. If he'd been allowed to start all 16 games last year and take his lumps and learn, he would be WAY farther along. I'm not ready to give up on a kid with his physical tools just yet.

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Pat, Nice report. I like the fact that you pointed out what was good and bad in detail. Keep it up and you might be considered an honorary homer!
Dont push it!

DraftBoy
08-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Great report, Pat.

The only thing I can say about Losman is that he should get better with more game experience. If he'd been allowed to start all 16 games last year and take his lumps and learn, he would be WAY farther along. I'm not ready to give up on a kid with his physical tools just yet.

I again remind you he's had 8 games, so 8 more and he's met your 16 game quota. What happens come week 8 if he's still struggling with consistency? Prior to the injury Nall was arguably leading all the QB's gotta think he'll be back before the end of the week. When do we all seriously stop considering Nall a 3rd string bum and a potential starter for this team?

HHURRICANE
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
I again remind you he's had 8 games, so 8 more and he's met your 16 game quota. What happens come week 8 if he's still struggling with consistency? Prior to the injury Nall was arguably leading all the QB's gotta think he'll be back before the end of the week. When do we all seriously stop considering Nall a 3rd string bum and a potential starter for this team?

Okay, it doesn't really work that way. 8 + 8 doesn't equal a full season under your belt. Plus Losman played, got yanked, played, and got yanked again. If MM had let him play the last 2 games instead of worrying about saving his own job that would have helped as well.

Second, no where was it reported that Nall was ever leading the competition. He was looking like the runner up. Holcomb has shown the least.

justasportsfan
08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I want to see a couple more practices and at least one preseason game but...

1- I can tell you right now Kelly Holcomb is a bum and if its possible to have a weaker arm than he had last year, its true.

2- I am FAR from convinced this coaching staff is locked on JP, they need to STOP this 50/50 snap crap and let JP take more reps.. If Kelly Holcomb is such a solid vet, he shouldnt need 50% of the snaps to be prepared.. JP needs 75% of the snaps.. He has a cannon arm but is still at times making ridiculous decisions.. And he also leaves the pocket too early.

BUT.. Like I said.. at times he looks like a superstar.. I'm more sold on him than I was yesterday, but he needs WORk.. 50% of snaps wont cut it.I would've loved to see Nall in action. His injury could be a blessing in disguise because JP get's more snaps. Forget KH he isn't going to be our future.

With JP getting more snaps , means more chemistry with his wr's. If Nall is our guy he will take the job away from JP during the course of the year. That only means good things for this team if JP starts getting better and yet Nall still beats him out.

How is Holcomb at holding the ball for field goals ? Anyone?

DraftBoy
08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Okay, it doesn't really work that way. 8 + 8 doesn't equal a full season under your belt. Plus Losman played, got yanked, played, and got yanked again. If MM had let him play the last 2 games instead of worrying about saving his own job that would have helped as well.

Second, no where was it reported that Nall was ever leading the competition. He was looking like the runner up. Holcomb has shown the least.

8 + 8=16 and thats a full season, it works more to his adv to have it over two seasons, bc he has an offseason of film review to see his mistakes correct them, and a whole new TC and preseason to rework cohesiveness, so I dont buy that argument whatsoever. I do wholeheartedly agree about MM being a complete douche.

All the reports prior to Nall's injury said that he looked the best, see BBS, and Mikey's reports to confirm that. I believe even Chris Brown claimed he looked real good.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-02-2006, 11:46 AM
I agreed with everything pat said except for the D-Line. The three practices I have seen I thought the line was getting a lot of pressure on the QB especially up the middle. Our DT's are looking like they can do what is asked of them in this system. McCargo and Triplett look the best to me. I am not worried about Schobel everyone knows he will get his ten sacks. Ryan Denney should start at the other end this year he has outplayed Kelsay hands down so far.

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I agreed with everything pat said except for the D-Line. The three practices I have seen I thought the line was getting a lot of pressure on the QB especially up the middle. Our DT's are looking like they can do what is asked of them in this system. McCargo and Triplett look the best to me. I am not worried about Schobel everyone knows he will get his ten sacks. Ryan Denney should start at the other end this year he has outplayed Kelsay hands down so far.
our DT' arent going to be the problem I dont think.. ESEPCIALLY if McCargo plays as good in games as he's looking in practice.

Its the DE spot thats going to KILL US.. Schobel will be fine, and he's an above average end. But Kelsay is brutal and Denney aint no better.

I hope to god somehow, someway a DE gets waived later in camp that we can pick up.. Kind of like a last-minute thing like in '03 when we got Milloy a week before the season.

ShadowHawk7
08-02-2006, 01:50 PM
How about our Oline starters? How are Gandy, Reyes, Vill, and especially Fowler doing in their matchups? Vill and Fowler scare me the most.

Also, I'm happy to see that Greer is continuing to do well as he pushes for the nickel spot.

How many secondary players will we keep? We have a lot of talent but I can't see us keeping more than 10 players at CB, FS, and SS. So who are the odd men out?