Clayton: Whitner negotiation stalled on 6- vs. 5-years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Clayton: Whitner negotiation stalled on 6- vs. 5-years...

Per ESPN's John Clayton:

The underlying theme for three of the four remaining holdouts in the first round is the sixth-year demands. Teams in the top 16 can ask for six-year contracts. That seems to be a little excessive for Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley (No. 14) and Dolphins defensive back Jason Allen (No. 16). The history of draft choices taken in past years is for them to receive five-year contracts.

Bills safety Donte Whitner (No. 8) is surrounded by five-year deals, and the Bills may eventually consent to a five-year contract. Naturally, Matt Leinart wants a five-year deal. If he becomes the Cardinals' franchise quarterback, he'll want a renegotiation after three years. The Cardinals will continue to push for a six-year deal.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Clayton: Whitner negotiation stalled on 6- vs. 5-years...

This is ridiculous, he has to sign- spin it any way you want.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Somebody needs to give in soon, it now near 6 practices plus all minicamps he missed. Anybody who thinks he'll just come in and be up to speed is fooling themselves.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• MTBillsFan
        • May 2003

Slotting? Doesn't Whitner get it? #7 got this and #9 got that...you were #8 so you get this...
        Whitner, you're a ROOKIE you're NOT entitled to ANYTHING! Sign your F@$*ing contract and get into camp.
        Send me some wings!

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

I have no issue with Whitner or his demands. Look, they can ASK for 6 years. the reality is everyone around him got 5 year deals. So shoot the kid a 5 year deal and get him in camp.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MTBillsFan
            Slotting? Doesn't Whitner get it? #7 got this and #9 got that...you were #8 so you get this...
            Whitner, you're a ROOKIE you're NOT entitled to ANYTHING! Sign your F@$*ing contract and get into camp.
            I know #7 got 5 year deal and I think #9 did to. So he is doing what you are asking him to do and get what is slotted...a FIVE year deal. Its the Bills that arn't budging.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

Okay Marv, your little word with the press saying that we were in the middle between 7 and 9 didn't include 5 years vs. 6 years. That's a little too cute for me.

I thought this was about money. If everyone else signs for 5 years than Whitner isn't going to sign for 6 years with the Bills. Obviously Marv isn't worried yet about him missing camp in hopes of pressuring him into 6 years.

He'll be signed by Friday with a 5 year deal. End of story.

Comment

• BigGabes23
                • Mar 2006

Give him the 5 year, and lets move on.... If he becomes a premeire safty, they are going to have to re-structure anyway....

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by biggabes21
                  Give him the 5 year, and lets move on.... If he becomes a premeire safty, they are going to have to re-structure anyway....
                  Well said.

This is horse****.. Marv didnt do his homework on his agent and what he wants.. He had all the time in the world to negotiate with him, NOBODY was drafting him before we did at 8

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Whitner was going to be take at #11 by the Rams, who lost SS Adam Archuleta. When Whitner was taken, they traded down with the Broncos (who took Cutler).

And this is what I suspected all along, i.e. the differencein 5- versus 6-years. They should compromise and go with what Evans has, i.e. a 5-year deal with an option for a 6th.

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by biggabes21
                      Thats it in a nutshell. If marv thinks he can hard line folks in this day and age its yes and no.

The dumbest move to date was saying in the press that we can move on without Whitner. DUMB MOVE. I honestly had to double check I was reading it right. That was a really bad move.

Marv is going to have to redo this guys contract year 4 if he's as good as we think anyway, so give him 5 years and move on. I hope marv doesnt' think whitner would play out the entire 5 or 6 years with out whitner wanting a redo. If he does, then maybe marv shouldn't be the GM.

Comment

• lordofgun
                        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Why does Marv care? He's going to be dead in 6 years.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Whitner better turn into Rod Woodson, that's all I can say. I'm already sick of the guy.

Comment

• lordofgun
                            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Carlton Bailey would never hold out!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
                              Why does Marv care? He's going to be dead in 6 years.
                              Wow, looking to resurrect NegRep Wednesday huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X