PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: Whitner negotiation stalled on 6- vs. 5-years...

Ickybaluky
08-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Per ESPN's John Clayton:

<b>The underlying theme for three of the four remaining holdouts in the first round is the sixth-year demands. Teams in the top 16 can ask for six-year contracts. That seems to be a little excessive for Eagles defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley (No. 14) and Dolphins defensive back Jason Allen (No. 16). The history of draft choices taken in past years is for them to receive five-year contracts.

Bills safety Donte Whitner (No. 8) is surrounded by five-year deals, and the Bills may eventually consent to a five-year contract. Naturally, Matt Leinart wants a five-year deal. If he becomes the Cardinals' franchise quarterback, he'll want a renegotiation after three years. The Cardinals will continue to push for a six-year deal.</b>

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
This is ridiculous, he has to sign- spin it any way you want.

DraftBoy
08-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Somebody needs to give in soon, it now near 6 practices plus all minicamps he missed. Anybody who thinks he'll just come in and be up to speed is fooling themselves.

MTBillsFan
08-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Slotting? Doesn't Whitner get it? #7 got this and #9 got that...you were #8 so you get this...
Whitner, you're a ROOKIE you're NOT entitled to ANYTHING! Sign your F@$*ing contract and get into camp.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I have no issue with Whitner or his demands. Look, they can ASK for 6 years. the reality is everyone around him got 5 year deals. So shoot the kid a 5 year deal and get him in camp.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Slotting? Doesn't Whitner get it? #7 got this and #9 got that...you were #8 so you get this...
Whitner, you're a ROOKIE you're NOT entitled to ANYTHING! Sign your F@$*ing contract and get into camp.

I know #7 got 5 year deal and I think #9 did to. So he is doing what you are asking him to do and get what is slotted...a FIVE year deal. Its the Bills that arn't budging.

HHURRICANE
08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Okay Marv, your little word with the press saying that we were in the middle between 7 and 9 didn't include 5 years vs. 6 years. That's a little too cute for me.

I thought this was about money. If everyone else signs for 5 years than Whitner isn't going to sign for 6 years with the Bills. Obviously Marv isn't worried yet about him missing camp in hopes of pressuring him into 6 years.

He'll be signed by Friday with a 5 year deal. End of story.

BigGabes23
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Give him the 5 year, and lets move on.... If he becomes a premeire safty, they are going to have to re-structure anyway....

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Give him the 5 year, and lets move on.... If he becomes a premeire safty, they are going to have to re-structure anyway....
Well said.

This is horse****.. Marv didnt do his homework on his agent and what he wants.. He had all the time in the world to negotiate with him, NOBODY was drafting him before we did at 8

Goobylal
08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Whitner was going to be take at #11 by the Rams, who lost SS Adam Archuleta. When Whitner was taken, they traded down with the Broncos (who took Cutler).

And this is what I suspected all along, i.e. the differencein 5- versus 6-years. They should compromise and go with what Evans has, i.e. a 5-year deal with an option for a 6th.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Thats it in a nutshell. If marv thinks he can hard line folks in this day and age its yes and no.

The dumbest move to date was saying in the press that we can move on without Whitner. DUMB MOVE. I honestly had to double check I was reading it right. That was a really bad move.

Marv is going to have to redo this guys contract year 4 if he's as good as we think anyway, so give him 5 years and move on. I hope marv doesnt' think whitner would play out the entire 5 or 6 years with out whitner wanting a redo. If he does, then maybe marv shouldn't be the GM.

lordofgun
08-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Why does Marv care? He's going to be dead in 6 years.

Carlton Bailey
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Whitner better turn into Rod Woodson, that's all I can say. I'm already sick of the guy.

lordofgun
08-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Carlton Bailey would never hold out! :10:

Mr. Miyagi
08-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Why does Marv care? He's going to be dead in 6 years.
Wow, looking to resurrect NegRep Wednesday huh?

THATHURMANATOR
08-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Just give the dude the extra year. WHY NOT?

bigbub2352
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
this is why professional sports are terrible, give the guy the contract for 5 and move on, this is so stupid

BillsFever21
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
All this is over 1 year? This is worth missing a week of camp?

Quit being a jackass, Marv. We all know you got your ass handed to you in other deals this offseason and folded.

You don't need to try and be an old tough guy now to make up for it. Everybody else got 5 year deals so give him 5 years and move on so he can get in camp. You're only gonna eventually fold anyway like the rest of the deals this offseason so suck up your old ego now and get him in camp.

mysticsoto
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
All this is over 1 year? This is worth missing a week of camp?

Quit being a jackass, Marv. We all know you got your ass handed to you in other deals this offseason and folded.

You don't need to try and be an old tough guy now to make up for it. Everybody else got 5 year deals so give him 5 years and move on so he can get in camp. You're only gonna eventually fold anyway like the rest of the deals this offseason so suck up your old ego now and get him in camp.

Why is everyone jumping on Marv? He isn't handling the negotiations, it is Jim Overdorf - the VP of Football Operations...

madness
08-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Why is everyone jumping on Marv? He isn't handling the negotiations, it is Jim Overdorf - the VP of Football Operations...

Look at the people blaming Marv. They have to get as many jabs in as they can before Marv's plan starts proving them all wrong.

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
when you are the General Manager of the football team, you are the FACE of it..

When the team wins, you get the credit. When something is wrong, you get the blame.. It comes with the job.

If you RUN a company, and someone screws it up, the onus is still on YOU.

I understand contract negotiations can be tricky. My point being if we had this guy targeted, we had an eternity to deal with agent before we even drafted him, as NOBODY was taken him before 8.

Meathead
08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
there has to be a reason, they wouldnt just pluck six years out of the air when players on both sides have five year deals

my speculation is that they feel they moved witner up a few spots on the board and thus should get the luxury of six years because they are paying him the higher than he would have got otherwise salary

nothing wrong with that. the bills can make the point they invested the pick and a little bit of value to get the guy they wanted and now want a little in return. the question is how much is that worth to both sides

patmoran2006
08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
there has to be a reason, they wouldnt just pluck six years out of the air when players on both sides have five year deals

my speculation is that they feel they moved witner up a few spots on the board and thus should get the luxury of six years because they are paying him the higher than he would have got otherwise salary

nothing wrong with that. the bills can make the point they invested the pick and a little bit of value to get the guy they wanted and now want a little in return. the question is how much is that worth to both sides

I think your right

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 01:53 PM

It doesn't matter, he owes them nothing. Sorry but he doesnt. He was a top 15 first rounder either way.

Not only that, fine sign the 6 year deal. By the start or end of year 4 they will have to redo his deal anyway. That is the REALITY of todays NFL. They need to cut the crap and just agree to 5 and get him in camp.

Mr. Miyagi
08-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Not only that, fine sign the 6 year deal. By the start or end of year 4 they will have to redo his deal anyway.
There is a difference in how they amortize his salary between a 5 year deal and a 6 year deal, so a 5 year deal will pay him higher base salary in the first 4 years than a 6 year deal. So it's the salary of the first few years they're haggling about.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 02:10 PM
There is a difference in how they amortize his salary between a 5 year deal and a 6 year deal, so a 5 year deal will pay him higher base salary in the first 4 years than a 6 year deal. So it's the salary of the first few years they're haggling about.

Cant disagree with that, but its all moot. If this kid is anything like we think by year 4 he gets top 2-3 Safety pay. And If marv and co think they wont' redo his deal and play the 'He already has a deal' card....Whitner is holding out.

I am afraid Marv and Co are going to possibly learn some really hard lessons that will cost us down the road.