PDA

View Full Version : Whitner/Bills May Be Millions of Dollars Apart

gr8slayer
08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/NEWS01/608030333/1001/BUSINESS

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
See this is a concern I have with Ralph wilson and the older crew. They need to understand things have changed. If player at #7 got X amount in money guaranteed and player at #9 got Z amount then the bills MUST pay player #8 Y amount.

I feel ralph, marv and Jim may be too old school to want to guarantee much money. Sorry but thats the NFL now esp if you pick that high. If they had issues maybe they needed to move back in the draft and garner more mid round picks?

I am not saying that is 100% the issue, but there is enough of knowing ralphs old style way of thinking to warrant concern.

Mr. Cynical
08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
agreed

Patrick76777
08-02-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060802/NEWS01/608030333/1001/BUSINESS

Ok, so should I completely disregard the John Clayton story from earlier today or from the story from the other day saying that it’s only about the term of the deal.

Let’s not be stupid folks, use our brains here.

The draft picks are slotted in. You take what the 7th guy made and what the 9th guy made and slot the 8th guy right in between. And I can assure you, there is not “millions” of dollars difference between those picks.

I’m 100% sure that this story is FALSE!

And cool it with the Ralph BS. There is no doubt that the Bills Financial folks are hammering out this deal. There’s no way that Ralph called in and said that we can’t afford to pay this guy number 8 money so make him accept number 28 money.

Please, use your brains.

And stop believing everything you read on the Internet!

OpIv37
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Ok, so should I completely disregard the John Clayton story from earlier today or from the story from the other day saying that it’s only about the term of the deal.

The draft picks are slotted in. You take what the 7th guy made and what the 9th guy made and slot the 8th guy right in between. And I can assure you, there is not “millions” of dollars difference between those picks.

And cool it with the Ralph BS. There is no doubt that the Bills Financial folks are hammering out this deal. There’s no way that Ralph called in and said that we can’t afford to pay this guy number 8 money so make him accept number 28 money.

Please, use your brains.

Um, it's from the Democrat and Chronicle which is the Rochester newspaper published by Gannett. They have a history of covering the Bills. This isn't just some guy writing a blog like MV posts in the Spin Zone.

I'd say this is at least as credible as the Clayton article, maybe moreso because the D&C actually has reporters who cover the team completely and in person, unlike John Clayton.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 03:03 PM

Please, use your brains.

We are using our brains. Its simple, ralph is old school and NEVER guaranteed contracts. Marv is old school as well. See ralph likes to be able to have a guy cut at anytime. The Signing bonuses hamstrung him some but now guaranteed money does even more so. Ralph HATES to be paying for guys not here, coaches or players. The history is there.

Patrick76777
08-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Um, it's from the Democrat and Chronicle which is the Rochester newspaper published by Gannett. They have a history of covering the Bills. This isn't just some guy writing a blog like MV posts in the Spin Zone.

I'd say this is at least as credible as the Clayton article, maybe moreso because the D&C actually has reporters who cover the team completely and in person, unlike John Clayton.

Ok, so we have 2 stories, from 2 reliable sources. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that the realists choose to believe the more negative story.

But it doesn’t make sense. These guys are slotted in and the Bills have a limited pool with which to sign these guys. It’s basically impossible to be millions apart.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok, so we have 2 stories, from 2 reliable sources. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that the realists choose to believe the more negative story.

But it doesn’t make sense. These guys are slotted in and the Bills have a limited pool with which to sign these guys. It’s basically impossible to be millions apart.

Pat I think it says millions apart in GUARANTEED MONEY. Ie if Huff got 20 mill guaranteed and #9 got 10 mill guaranteed, whitners agent is going to ask for (and be correct in doing so) 15 mill guaranteed money over the life of the contract.

I feel ralph and marv are balking at that number. Now if what DW's agent is in the ballpark between #7 and #9 then he is completely in the right.

L.A. Playa
08-02-2006, 04:22 PM
according to this they are$1.1 Mil apart in Guaranteed money, split the difference tonite and have him on the field tommorrow
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-whitner&prov=ap&type=lgns

Earthquake Enyart
08-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I think I went to high school with Jim Overdorf. I'll have to check my yearbook. :ee:

Iehoshua
08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
:rofl:

Historian
08-03-2006, 07:11 AM
Must be something in the corn...

patmoran2006
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM

Please, use your brains.

Wrong. AP is reporting the sides are over a million dollars apart, and its also over gauarenteed money

PromoTheRobot
08-03-2006, 02:43 PM
See this is a concern I have with Ralph wilson and the older crew. They need to understand things have changed. If player at #7 got X amount in money guaranteed and player at #9 got Z amount then the bills MUST pay player #8 Y amount.

I feel ralph, marv and Jim may be too old school to want to guarantee much money. Sorry but thats the NFL now esp if you pick that high. If they had issues maybe they needed to move back in the draft and garner more mid round picks?

I am not saying that is 100% the issue, but there is enough of knowing ralphs old style way of thinking to warrant concern.

You mean like an amount in between picks #7 and #9? Like the one the Bills already offered to Whittner, who already hit the lottery because the Bills did him a favor drafting him top 10? You're right, ICE. The old farts just don't get it! :doh:

PTR

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 02:59 PM
You mean like an amount in between picks #7 and #9? Like the one the Bills already offered to Whittner, who already hit the lottery because the Bills did him a favor drafting him top 10? You're right, ICE. The old farts just don't get it! :doh:

PTR

How did they do him a favor? See this is fan talk, not reality. Football is a business. They said THEY felt he was the #1 safety. THEY decided to take him. This was THEIR decision. That means THEY decided at that time to pay him the slotted amount. That is 13.55 mill in guarantees and a 5 year deal.

Sorry thats how it is. he has a right to what he is slotted and he should stand firm till he gets it.

This is why I feel Marv might not be the right GM and Ralph should sell. We need an owner and GM that understands this. For those saying 'they do' then why are they not offering Whitner what he's slotted?

Night Train
08-04-2006, 05:23 AM
May be millions apart...right...

I may be one phone call away from dating Jessica Alba...

lordofgun
08-04-2006, 06:29 AM

Please, use your brains.

Thank you Pat!

Historian
08-04-2006, 06:40 AM
This is why I feel Marv might not be the right GM and Ralph should sell.

Are you going to let him keep his other businesses?

Just curious.

dannyek71
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I love how Marv & Co. seem to be getting the blame and Whitner is getting none.