PDA

View Full Version : 1.1 mill apart on guaranteed money

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 04:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-whitner&prov=ap&type=lgns

15 mill guaranteed for Huff, 12.1 for Mills. the average of that is 13.55 mill guaranteed. It seems to me from that report, Whitners agent is right in asking for nearly 14 mill.

Mitchy moo
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
He's bad at math.

BillsFever21
08-02-2006, 04:48 PM
All of this over a million dollars in guranteed money? If he's any good he's gonna see it anyway while playing out the contract.

If he isn't any good then is a million dollars worth him missing camp?

I mean seriously. They gave Craig Nall over 2 million in gurantees and players like Josh Reed and Peerless Price almost 4 million in gurantees. Now they are worried about 1 million dollars?

This is pathetic. Get the deal done and get him in camp.

BillsFever21
08-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Whitner is also a greedy SOB too. Missing all this camp over this. He's getting a million more in gurantees then Ernie Simms and he's getting multiple millions more then he would've received had we not drafted him higher then anybody else had him on their radar.

Stewie
08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Whitner is also a greedy SOB too. Missing all this camp over this. He's getting a million more in gurantees then Ernie Simms and he's getting multiple millions more then he would've received had we not drafted him higher then anybody else had him on their radar.

By this logic, eveyrone should take the same pay as mr irrelevant, because teams did them a favor by drafting them where they did.

BillsFever21
08-02-2006, 04:57 PM
By this logic, eveyrone should take the same pay as mr irrelevant, because teams did them a favor by drafting them where they did.

Did I say he should take less money then the guys drafted behind him? He's getting more then Simms. It's close enough where the deal should be done.

I just clearly stated he was drafted higher then most teams were gonna draft him. I didn't say he should get less money then them.

Jan Reimers
08-02-2006, 05:02 PM
If you split the difference between $12.9M and $14M, you get very close to the $13.55M figure, $13.45M I think, without a calculator.

Come on, guys, compromise and get this deal done!

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 05:18 PM
All of this over a million dollars in guranteed money? If he's any good he's gonna see it anyway while playing out the contract.

If he isn't any good then is a million dollars worth him missing camp?

I mean seriously. They gave Craig Nall over 2 million in gurantees and players like Josh Reed and Peerless Price almost 4 million in gurantees. Now they are worried about 1 million dollars?

This is pathetic. Get the deal done and get him in camp.

You are right on one issue, its pathetic. It's pathetic if the Bills are balking at 13.5 mill in guaranteed money. That is the slotted amount thanks to 7 and 9 signing. The bills have to pay it.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Did I say he should take less money then the guys drafted behind him? He's getting more then Simms. It's close enough where the deal should be done.

I just clearly stated he was drafted higher then most teams were gonna draft him. I didn't say he should get less money then them.

Its not an issue of getting more than simms, its an issue of being paid what he should be paid.

Bottom line, he was drafted 8th. The Bills have to reach the middle between Simms and Huff. That is about 13.55 mil in guaranteed money. Not 1.1 mill less.

Jan Reimers
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
You are right on one issue, its pathetic. It's pathetic if the Bills are balking at 13.5 mill in guaranteed money. That is the slotted amount thanks to 7 and 9 signing. The bills have to pay it.
You are absolutely right.

YardRat
08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Whitner's too high, Marv's too low. Both sides should realize that 13.5 is about right.

YardRat
08-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Its not an issue of getting more than simms, its an issue of being paid what he should be paid.

Bottom line, he was drafted 8th. The Bills have to reach the middle between Simms and Huff. That is about 13.55 mil in guaranteed money. Not 1.1 mill less.

Read the article again, Ice. The Bills aren't offering 12.45...it's 12.9

Mitchy moo
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Split the difference & let's get his *** on the field.

acehole
08-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Hey now you dont know that.

You hire an agent....he tells you what to do.....and you do it.

I do think if anymore significant time goes by......witner will put his agent in his place.

Tatonka
08-02-2006, 05:42 PM

yeah.. because a million dollars is chump change.

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Read the article again, Ice. The Bills aren't offering 12.45...it's 12.9

I took the 14 for huff and the 12.1 for Simms and found the middle which was about 13.55. I say offer it and then let it sit. If whitners agent balks at that, then fire his butt. But in all fairness 13.55 is what should be guaranteed

YardRat
08-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I took the 14 for huff and the 12.1 for Simms and found the middle which was about 13.55. I say offer it and then let it sit. If whitners agent balks at that, then fire his butt. But in all fairness 13.55 is what should be guaranteed

I agree.....fair is fair.

DraftBoy
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Well we cant fire his agent, but fair is no longer fair after the fiasco that happened up top. Players are no longer sloted like they used to be, both Bush and Young got more potential money than Williams. No telling if Whitner wants more than Huff or not, and the fair is fair doctrine is out of the window this year.

jamze132
08-03-2006, 07:37 AM
I agree. The people shouldn't post what an ass Whitner is. It's obvious that if Buffalo is offering him $12.9, then they owe him another $600,000. I don't fault Whitner for waiting on Buffalo to meet in the middle.

madness
08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
I can't believe what an ass Whitner is...

Apparently he has football smart but lacks street smarts. His agent basically just lost him a starting position. Is $600,000 worth sitting on the bench? Seriously, I'm not a pro athlete but I'm so competitive that I would have grabbed my agent by the throat and ***** slapped him several times until he realized how serious I am about getting to camp on time. And I'm pretty sure these guys should be a lot more competitive than me.

I like Whitner and I think he is going to be a great football player but now he faces an even bigger uphill battle and hurt his progress of becoming an elite NFL player.

Congratulations Whitner. Instead of living out your dreams as an NFL starter, you just became Bowen's *****. I hope your as good as they say you are, because you are going to have to prove it 10x more to grab that starting roster spot. That is, if you ever make it to camp.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Well we cant fire his agent, but fair is no longer fair after the fiasco that happened up top. Players are no longer sloted like they used to be, both Bush and Young got more potential money than Williams. No telling if Whitner wants more than Huff or not, and the fair is fair doctrine is out of the window this year.

Good point. VERY good point. And the thing is Marv and Co shot themselfs by saying Whitner was their top ranked Safety. So in all honesty, Why take less than huff?

See I think marv has some things to learn yet on what to and not to say. I am not jumping on him, he is new at this, but he really needs to be more guarded in what he says.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 08:37 AM
I can't believe what an ass Whitner is...

Apparently he has football smart but lacks street smarts. His agent basically just lost him a starting position. Is $600,000 worth sitting on the bench? Seriously, I'm not a pro athlete but I'm so competitive that I would have grabbed my agent by the throat and ***** slapped him several times until he realized how serious I am about getting to camp on time. And I'm pretty sure these guys should be a lot more competitive than me.

I like Whitner and I think he is going to be a great football player but now he faces an even bigger uphill battle and hurt his progress of becoming an elite NFL player.

Congratulations Whitner. Instead of living out your dreams as an NFL starter, you just became Bowen's *****. I hope your as good as they say you are, because you are going to have to prove it 10x more to grab that starting roster spot. That is, if you ever make it to camp.

Madness, do you honesly think he is going to sit? Marv and DJ aren't going to sit the #8 pick, who is being paid 13.55 mill guaranteed and the best athlete in the secondary. Its just not going to happen.

If it did then we have the most stupid staff in the NFL and ALL should be fired. Whitner is doing the right thing. 600K is 600K.

And the other thing, Whitner is going to be a great player. He won't have to work 10x harder. Its all bull from the Bills standpoint. Whitner will need a couple weeks of camp and will end up starting in the first regular season game. The kid is that good. You can't keep players that good off of the field.

HHURRICANE
08-03-2006, 08:40 AM
I'll apologize in adavance because I didn't read anyone else's posts.

Simple Math: #7 got 15 million guaranteed, #9 got 12 million guaranteed, how about the Bills giving Whitner 13.5 million. That would be right in the middle. It's pretty radical but it just might work!

Historian
08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Q: Marv, what do you think of rookies?

"I don't like them. I like them as people, not players. They make too many mistakes."
-Marv Levy, 1993.

madness
08-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Madness, do you honesly think he is going to sit? Marv and DJ aren't going to sit the #8 pick, who is being paid 13.55 mill guaranteed and the best athlete in the secondary. Its just not going to happen.

If it did then we have the most stupid staff in the NFL and ALL should be fired. Whitner is doing the right thing. 600K is 600K.

And the other thing, Whitner is going to be a great player. He won't have to work 10x harder. Its all bull from the Bills standpoint. Whitner will need a couple weeks of camp and will end up starting in the first regular season game. The kid is that good. You can't keep players that good off of the field.

Yes I do. If this was last year's regime, he could come into camp the last preseason game and be anointed the starter. We all know how that works out.

Marv and Dick believe you have to earn your keep. Whitner has to earn a starting position just like everyone else is doing in camp right now. If he is that good then he will win the position very quickly once he gets his butt to camp and there will be no problem. Bowen, though, is a former starter and he will put up a good fight the rest of the way.

And yes he will have to work 10x harder to catch up to everyone else. If I miss a week of work with all things I'm responsible for, I'd have to work that much harder just to catch up... and I already know my job! Each day he is not there is another day his teammates are learning more about this new defense. Yes, he is keeping close contact with Yourbooty (obviously by the way you're puckering up to him :D), but players in camp are getting better by learning AND doing. He's not getting that needed experience by learning and twiddling his thumbs.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Yes I do. If this was last year's regime, he could come into camp the last preseason game and be anointed the starter. We all know how that works out.

Marv and Dick believe you have to earn your keep. Whitner has to earn a starting position just like everyone else is doing in camp right now. If he is that good then he will win the position very quickly once he gets his butt to camp and there will be no problem. Bowen, though, is a former starter and he will put up a good fight the rest of the way.

And yes he will have to work 10x harder to catch up to everyone else. If I miss a week of work with all things I'm responsible for, I'd have to work that much harder just to catch up... and I already know my job! Each day he is not there is another day his teammates are learning more about this new defense. Yes, he is keeping close contact with Yourbooty (obviously by the way you're puckering up to him :D), but players in camp are getting better by learning AND doing. He's not getting that needed experience by learning and twiddling his thumbs.

Coaching staff doesn't matter, you play the best players if you want to win. By all accounts Whitner is our top SS. You don't play him due to EGO or to prove a point, you should be fired...period. Either way, Whitner is going to sit and count his guaranteed millions either way.

madness
08-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Coaching staff doesn't matter, you play the best players if you want to win. By all accounts Whitner is our top SS. You don't play him due to EGO or to prove a point, you should be fired...period. Either way, Whitner is going to sit and count his guaranteed millions either way.

Who's not playing him due to EGO or to prove a point? He's not playing because he doesn't give the team the best chance to win. This isn't backyard football were you just run around chasing the ball. This is professional football with complicated schemes that can change on the fly and you have to know how your teammates are going to react before they actually do.

So lets get this straight. You'd rather start the more talented player that that doesn't know his assignments and hasn't practiced with the defense over a good veteran player that knows where everybody is supposed to be and has the scheme down pat.

Thank you for clearing that up Mr. Mularkey, let me know how your job search goes. Before you leave, please tell Bowen that even though he played extremely well throughout mini-camp he will not be starting or getting a chance to start because our more talented player who hasn't been on the field has returned from his holdout. Please thank him for his fruitless effort.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Who's not playing him due to EGO or to prove a point? He's not playing because he doesn't give the team the best chance to win. This isn't backyard football were you just run around chasing the ball. This is professional football with complicated schemes that can change on the fly and you have to know how your teammates are going to react before they actually do.

So lets get this straight. You'd rather start the more talented player that that doesn't know his assignments and hasn't practiced with the defense over a good veteran player that knows where everybody is supposed to be and has the scheme down pat.

Thank you for clearing that up Mr. Mularkey, let me know how your job search goes. Before you leave, please tell Bowen that even though he played extremely well throughout mini-camp he will not be starting or getting a chance to start because our more talented player who hasn't been on the field has returned from his holdout. Please thank him for his fruitless effort.

Prove to me he doesn't know his assignments. From what I read he already approaches the game like an NFL Veteran, checks in daily to get the info that was passed on that day, has the playbook etc. And what is he doing at the OSU campus each day? From what I hear he is busting his butt working out, etc.

DJ and Marv want to make it sound worse than it is. As for Bowen I like the guy, but he doesn't have the talent Whitner does and here is the reality of it...talent plays. Whitner will catch up in 2 weeks tops then blow the rest of the guys out of the water.

MTBillsFan
08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I said it yesterday, you are a rookie you ain't entitled to anything! Sign your Flipping contract already. You haven't earned anything! And you're not proving anything either I hate greedy SOB's! 1.1million apart, way to endear yourself to your fans!

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I said it yesterday, you are a rookie you ain't entitled to anything! Sign your Flipping contract already. You haven't earned anything! And you're not proving anything either I hate greedy SOB's! 1.1million apart, way to endear yourself to your fans!

And I have always said it, you get drafted that high you ARE entitled to what that slot allows. Until he gets it, he should sit home. You give up 1.1 mill then you can talk about what he should do.

madness
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Prove to me he doesn't know his assignments. From what I read he already approaches the game like an NFL Veteran, checks in daily to get the info that was passed on that day, has the playbook etc. And what is he doing at the OSU campus each day? From what I hear he is busting his butt working out, etc.

DJ and Marv want to make it sound worse than it is. As for Bowen I like the guy, but he doesn't have the talent Whitner does and here is the reality of it...talent plays. Whitner will catch up in 2 weeks tops then blow the rest of the guys out of the water.

Prove to me he does know his assignments.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Prove to me he does know his assignments.

Yobotay (sp) seems to think he does. Marv and DJ have talked about how smart he is and how quickly he picked things up when here. Whitners history sides with him knowing what he should do.

Whitner will be here when the BILLS pay him fairly and not a minute sooner. After that happens he will start ASAP. Just wait and see.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 03:39 PM
And another note, the #8 pick last year Rolle from AZ got 13.6 mill guaranteed in his contract I believe.

so sorry Ralph, Marv, Jim....the magic number is apperantly 13.55 mill. Match it or Whitner is drafted next year by someone else.