PDA

View Full Version : Holcomb a cancer?

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Honestly...I never really thought it was much of a possibility...he doesn't seem the type...so I checked in with Dawg Talk to get their perspective

http://dawgtalk.clevelandbrowns.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1627894&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post1627971

Nighthawk
08-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Umm, it's sure starting to look like he has a little Flutie in him! However, at least Flutie had a leg to stand on (eventhough it was short) because he won games.

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Flutie had a top-ranked defense to bail him out a lot of the time, though

Nighthawk
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM

True, and I'm not a Flutie fan (I actually was happy to see him go), but he did help Moulds become one of the elite WR at the time and he made plays.

justasportsfan
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Rob played with the same team.

So far it's neither here nor there w/ reagrds to KH .

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Rob played with the same team.

So far it's neither here nor there w/ reagrds to KH .
This ain't an RJ/Flutie debate...everyone knows anyone called RJ sucks ;)

ICE74129
08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Looks like they saw what most of us see.

I love this one...

"is Holcomb the type who will lobby his teammates to get the starting job away from another"

hmmmm...how bout - two words: Nail & Head "

RedEyE
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
The guy that made the point about KH playing his best to become a starter then becoming too laid back to get things done on the field makes since.

Holcomb has spent his career trying to prove himself and probably exhausts himself in the process. Also some players just practice better than the play and vice versa.

Michael82
08-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I told you! If Losman wins the job, Holcomb needs to get cut IMO.

Crisis
08-02-2006, 07:26 PM
What an ugly website!

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
What an ugly website!
could be worse :idunno:
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/ ;)

Mr. Cynical
08-02-2006, 07:46 PM
As for KH being a cancer, who knows, but I do believe he is NOT worth the risk if that's the case. Career backups with noodle arms are a dime a dozen.

P.S. Flutie >> Holcomb

JoeMama
08-02-2006, 07:53 PM
This ain't an RJ/Flutie debate...everyone knows anyone called RJ sucks ;)

And it ain't half as fun as the RJ/Flutie debate.

That **** made my life complete from '98-'00.

Michael82
08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh, another reason why you gotta get rid of him is because he has a different playbook than Losman. If Losman were to go down, you'd have to take all the deep passes out of the playbook and the defenses would key on our running game and the short stuff. :ill:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
WOW philster that was an eye opener! Looks like we are in the same boat as the brownies were wtih couch and holcom!

thanks for hooking us up with that brownie thread!

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
WOW philster that was an eye opener! Looks like we are in the same boat as the brownies were wtih couch and holcom!

thanks for hooking us up with that brownie thread!
if we're getting someone from another team, I kinda like to have the fans' perspective from that other team...cause honestly, they'll know better than us in most cases

Turf
08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
If he is a cancer Marv will see through it and send his ass out of here. Personally at this point I see no point in keeping him around. He's not a team guy and he's not starting material. He's ****ing useless.

YardRat
08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Oh, another reason why you gotta get rid of him is because he has a different playbook than Losman. If Losman were to go down, you'd have to take all the deep passes out of the playbook and the defenses would key on our running game and the short stuff. :ill:

How many times does someone have to post stats from last year to prove this just isn't true? The running game was more efficient in 2005 with Holcomb at QB...that's a given.

It's not speculation...it's not potential...it's the truth.

Michael82
08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
How many times does someone have to post stats from last year to prove this just isn't true? The running game was more efficient in 2005 with Holcomb at QB...that's a given.

It's not speculation...it's not potential...it's the truth.
he's not the same QB. His arm has gotten worse. If you haven't been to camp yet, you wouldn't know. But it has.

jmb1099
08-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey everyone look...a dead horse and we're beating the piss out of it

YardRat
08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
he's not the same QB. His arm has gotten worse. If you haven't been to camp yet, you wouldn't know. But it has.

I'll take your word for it until I see them both perform in something other than clips on the news.

But until then, it's still merely your own speculation that the running game will suffer, and you really have nothing to back it up. Maybe the first pre-season game will clear things up a little.

im4bflo
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
If we go with Holcomb(please NO), we're going to be so boring.
There goes a great strength we have, fast receivers!
It'll be run (and they'll ALL be keying on it), and then dump passes (which they'll ALL be keying on, after seeing last years film on KH).
I'd rather go through some up's and down's with JP, than feel like I'm watching reruns! It scares me, DJ hasn't picked a frontrunner yet at QB, that leaves the chance that KH may still somehow get it.
I'll be a hell of a lot more excited about this year, with JP in there.

The_Philster
08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
stats are pretty much useless if they don't tell the whole story...and they pretty much never do

YardRat
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
stats are pretty much useless if they don't tell the whole story...and they pretty much never do

So what is the whole story, phil? Disregarding stats, why did the offense generally perform better when KH was QB?

lordofgun
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Cleveland fans are smart!

HHURRICANE
08-02-2006, 09:58 PM
if we're getting someone from another team, I kinda like to have the fans' perspective from that other team...cause honestly, they'll know better than us in most cases

Philster this was smart!! Nice job. I absolutely loved the duck blind comment. Why does anyone here think that it will be any different. Let JP play the season and than if he isn't the guy than we go find a starting QB.

"Holcomb doesn't win you games" Quoted by fans that watched him play in Cleveland. We watched the same charade last year. Lets smartin up!!

Iehoshua
08-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I knew it! Holcancer!

Stop it before it spreads and kills the team!!!!

HHURRICANE
08-02-2006, 10:01 PM
If we go with Holcomb(please NO), we're going to be so boring.
There goes a great strength we have, fast receivers!
It'll be run (and they'll ALL be keying on it), and then dump passes (which they'll ALL be keying on, after seeing last years film on KH).
I'd rather go through some up's and down's with JP, than feel like I'm watching reruns! It scares me, DJ hasn't picked a frontrunner yet at QB, that leaves the chance that KH may still somehow get it.
I'll be a hell of a lot more excited about this year, with JP in there.

This might not be fair to Holcomb but I hated watching him play. What a bore!!

Mr. Cynical
08-03-2006, 12:57 AM

Agreed. Too bad TD didn't use that approach when he traded our #1 for Drew. :sigh:

Mr. Pink
08-03-2006, 01:19 AM
BTW Phil, you know I am a Browns fan, you coulda just asked me for an opinion...instead of signing up on another site for one :)

Holcomb is what he is....a guy that one game will go out and light it up then the next game he'll suck and suck a lot. At best he's a good option off the bench or a caretaker.

The other issue is Holcomb/Couch divided the locker room, much like Holcomb/Losman did here. Some of the vets didn't like Couch because he wasn't as vocal in the huddle, he cried when fans got down on him, blah blah blah. You see what happens when half the team is behind 1 guy and half the other. The 2003 Browns and the 2005 Bills were basically one in the same. Now we go into this year, and have a front office that has turned this team even further into the 2003 Browns. A bunch of smurf receivers, some with potential, all with speed. A weak O-line. Instead of having question marks in the LB corps, we got it on the d-line.

Problem is if Losman can't beat that out in camp/preseason we have a MAJOR problem. And the problem is going to be as ugly and woeful as the Browns in 03.

The bright side of things though is we don't have a coach who is yanking around the QB carousel chain, hopefully, like the Browns were stuck with in 02-03-04. Botch Davis started off so promising and sunk like a lead balloon, sound familiar?

The_Philster
08-03-2006, 04:51 AM
So what is the whole story, phil? Disregarding stats, why did the offense generally perform better when KH was QB?experience vs a rookie. Holcomb played it safe and close to the vest which has been his style. Losman tried to play it safe and struggled...not his style. When he was back on the field, he opened it up a little more and it showed

BTW Phil, you know I am a Browns fan, you coulda just asked me for an opinion...instead of signing up on another site for one :)
Yeah, but you're only 1...I wanted to get a larger number of opinions. Besides, I had signed up there a few years ago anyway

Historian
08-03-2006, 07:09 AM
I'll bet a hundred Zonebucks that he doesn't even make the team.

I'd rather have Woodbury back.

Clipboard holders are a dime a dozen.

Kerr
08-03-2006, 07:20 AM
kirwan said jp came alone to interview, whereas kh came w/ mcgahee to interview. Could be a hint. hmmmmm....

patmoran2006
08-03-2006, 07:21 AM
your absolutely on the money with this. I agree 100%.

the ONLY thing he has going for him is his read-making is far superior than Losman's at this point. He gets through his progressions quick, but who gives a **** when you cant open up your passing game more than 20 yards

jamze132
08-03-2006, 07:25 AM
kirwan said jp came alone to interview, whereas kh came w/ mcgahee to interview. Could be a hint. hmmmmm....
I wouldn't read into it. The rest of the Bills players aren't stupid. They know what Holcomb brings to the table. They however, do not know what JP CAN bring to the table. He hasn't had a chance to bring it! And ask any receiver on our team with speed (just about all) who they would rather have slinging balls 40-50 yds downfield, and they will probably tell you JP! It's LOSMANIA TIME!

Jan Reimers
08-03-2006, 07:32 AM
I told you! If Losman wins the job, Holcomb needs to get cut IMO.
I think we'd be fine with Nall and Kingsbury behind JP.

I believe it was the Kirwan piece that mentioned Holcomb bringing McGahee to his interview. That probably confirms that Holcomb is a locker room "politician," which is a polite term for "cancer."

Kerr
08-03-2006, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't read into it. The rest of the Bills players aren't stupid. They know what Holcomb brings to the table. They however, do not know what JP CAN bring to the table. He hasn't had a chance to bring it! And ask any receiver on our team with speed (just about all) who they would rather have slinging balls 40-50 yds downfield, and they will probably tell you JP! It's LOSMANIA TIME!

All holcomb brings is experience. From all reports the guy has a shot arm, which is not going to allow him to succeed in fairchild's ramsesque offense. The veteran players must be stupid if they can't see this.

HHURRICANE
08-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I think we'd be fine with Nall and Kingsbury behind JP.

I believe it was the Kirwan piece that mentioned Holcomb bringing McGahee to his interview. That probably confirms that Holcomb is a locker room "politician," which is a polite term for "cancer."

Thank you! My concern excatly. I'll be the first to admit that i'm not sure that JP is the answer. I just haven't seen enough. He could be the equivalent of Kerry Collins, big arm but not consistent enough. With that said we have no shot with Holcomb so why even create a QB contoversy. I'd rather see Nall or Kingsbury as the starter.

Losman's draft class was the best in years. Manning, Rivers, Roth, Losman and Schaub. Every player is progressing with only Roth and Manning having played full seasons. Let JP get his full season. We are the only team that has completely mismanaged the situation. Time to get it right!!

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
This ain't an RJ/Flutie debate...everyone knows anyone called RJ sucks ;)I know it isn't. I wasn't trying to debate but it's almost the same situation. I don't care if the qb is throwing for 50 yds and 5 INT's per game as long as the team is winning. It means nothing if a qb is throwing for 400 yds and 5 td's but team keeps losing. It was almost like that during the DF/RJ days and if it ends up like that here, so be it.

I don't like KH as a starter, but if the teams keeps winning, who am I to complain?

Historian
08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Actually Holcomb is more like a virus you can't shake...

Kerr
08-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually Holcomb is more like a virus you can't shake...

can't shake the disease...

Michael82
08-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I'll bet a hundred Zonebucks that he doesn't even make the team.

I'd rather have Woodbury back.

Clipboard holders are a dime a dozen.
I hope to God you are right. :pray:

im4bflo
08-03-2006, 07:59 PM
He's an itch,
I keep scratching my head, wondering why JP isn't getting all the starters snaps yet!
What's coach J waiting for? Does he think KH is going to all of a sudden become better!? :headscrat: