PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com story about QB Battle! Hot off Wire.

blackonyx89
08-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Here's the link......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9582163

Give J.P. the kid the job already there's no competition!!!! thoughts?

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 11:33 AM
the competition is, and always has been, a charade. If JP doesn't completely blow it, he gets the job.

It's because Jauron doesn't want to repeat Mularkey's mistake that alienated the vets last year.

blackonyx89
08-03-2006, 11:36 AM
the competition is, and always has been, a charade. If JP doesn't completely blow it, he gets the job.

It's because Jauron doesn't want to repeat Mularkey's mistake that alienated the vets last year.

SOOO TRUE!!!!

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 11:58 AM
It is an unprofessionaly written article. Pat Kirwan is going from respected reporter to hack by leaps and bounds.

madness
08-03-2006, 12:19 PM

Okay, lets waste valuable reps to JP so we can save face. :rolleyes: I'm sure Jauron is real worried about not repeating a rookie head coach's mistakes.

Saratoga Slim
08-03-2006, 01:01 PM

I mostly agree.

On one hand, if there is no real difference between the two at this stage in terms of ability to make plays, JP's only going to get better, while Holcomb doesnt have much upside left. Thus on this basis alone, only an idiot would start Holcomb if the two play even close to similarly.

However, I think you have to weigh in the leadership factor. Jauron/Levy are trying to turn this team around and install a winning atmosphere. They can't do that if the team doesn't want to play with JP.

thus, I think the competition is skewed in JP's favor, but he has to do more than "not blow it" to get the starting job, he has to a) not blow it from a physical, gameplay perspective, and b) show Jauron/Levy that he has the ability to get the team behind him. they need a cohesive team atmosphere as much as they need the QB to make plays.

That said, and while I'm still not certain that the team likes JP, the smart money is still on him to start.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Okay, lets waste valuable reps to JP so we can save face. :rolleyes: I'm sure Jauron is real worried about not repeating a rookie head coach's mistakes.

ok, let's just hand JP the keys like Mularkey did and have the vets quit after 4 games :rolleyes:

or let's just let journeyman/caretaker Holcomb start so defenses only have to cover 20 yards past the LOS. :rolleyes:

The coaches want JP to start- they just need to prove to the rest of the team that he's capable. The only way to do that is a "competition".

Michael82
08-03-2006, 01:22 PM
ok, let's just hand JP the keys like Mularkey did and have the vets quit after 4 games :rolleyes:

or let's just let journeyman/caretaker Holcomb start so defenses only have to cover 20 yards past the LOS. :rolleyes:

The coaches want JP to start- they just need to prove to the rest of the team that he's capable. The only way to do that is a "competition".
good post! :clap:

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 01:24 PM

:rolleyes:

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 01:27 PM

JP should be the starter period. The only wasted reps are on a career backup in a gimick QB competition. This is nothing but a dog and pony show for a few veterans on this team. Nothing more.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 01:29 PM

And if the vets quit, then they can hit the bricks just like Moulds, campbell, Teague etc. Sorry they dont run this team. They get paid to Shut up and do their jobs period.

If there is still that much of an issue then we still have some cutting to do. It doesn't matter if you hate the guy personally, on sunday you better give the man 100% or you are gone. This has become too personal instead of being professional.

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
And if the vets quit, then they can hit the bricks just like Moulds, campbell, Teague etc. Sorry they dont run this team. They get paid to Shut up and do their jobs period.

If there is still that much of an issue then we still have some cutting to do. It doesn't matter if you hate the guy personally, on sunday you better give the man 100% or you are gone. This has become too personal instead of being professional.

ICE74129
08-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Sorry thats fact. We let the players pull that crap last year. It = 5-11. Act like professionals. 'But I want to win now!' ok then Shut up and give the guy 100% and encourage him, don't undermine him and not go 100% because you don't 'like' him.

There is a clear bottom line here, TD brought in a ton of un professional guys into that locker room. From whats leaking out, Marv still has some to weed out.

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Sorry thats fact. We let the players pull that crap last year. It = 5-11. Act like professionals. 'But I want to win now!' ok then Shut up and give the guy 100% and encourage him, don't undermine him and not go 100% because you don't 'like' him.

There is a clear bottom line here, TD brought in a ton of un professional guys into that locker room. From whats leaking out, Marv still has some to weed out.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 01:40 PM
The coaches want JP to start- .those liars!!! I thought they wanted the best player to start :mad:

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
those liars!!! I thought they wanted the best player to start :mad:

Richard Gozinya
08-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Separated at birth?

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/7193.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/69/Rip2.jpg/180px-Rip2.jpg

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Separated at birth?

http://images.nfl.com/images/author/7193.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/69/Rip2.jpg/180px-Rip2.jpg

ibatiger
08-03-2006, 01:59 PM

If Jauron thought that Losman was the automatic answer at QB he wouldn't have signed Nall and he wouldn't be having an open competition. He doesn't care what people think. He's trying to find a QB. He won't decide until he sees what Nall can do when he gets over the injury, assuming he can come back fairly quickly. He probably told this yoyo as much if the truth is known.

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
If Jauron thought that Losman was the automatic answer at QB he wouldn't have signed Nall and he wouldn't be having an open competition. He doesn't care what people think. He's trying to find a QB. He won't decide until he sees what Nall can do when he gets over the injury, assuming he can come back fairly quickly. He probably told this yoyo as much if the truth is known.

Earthquake Enyart
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I think Nall getting hurt was the worst thing that could have happened to us. :::

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Nall was brought in to be third string. End of story.

Michael82
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
not true. He was brought in to compete with JP for the starting job and will eventually be the backup.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Nall was brought in to be third string. End of story.they lied to him too?

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:19 PM
they lied to him too?

funny how that works in the business world (it's entertainment to us but business to them)

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
funny how that works in the business world (it's entertainment to us but business to them)
that's it , I'm never listening to that crusty old man. From now on I'm going w/ your wealthy friend .

Mitchy moo
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM

It isn't like Nall is getting paid or doesn't have a job. I'm sure he is reading and studying the playbook.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
that's it , I'm never listening to that crusty old man. From now on I'm going w/ your wealthy friend .

right.

Because it takes a wealthy friend to figure out that they didn't bring in a guy who's played 30 snaps to compete with a 10 year vet and a first round draft pick for the position.

Earthquake Enyart
08-03-2006, 02:26 PM
right.

Because it takes a wealthy friend to figure out that they didn't bring in a guy who's played 30 snaps to compete with a 10 year vet and a first round draft pick for the position.
He watched Brett Favre!!

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 02:30 PM
right.

Stupid BB. He should've given back the job to their franchise QB once he got healthy instead of seriously giving the job to that 7th (or was it 6th) rd. qb who was just in his 2nd year.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:35 PM
It isn't like Nall is getting paid or doesn't have a job. I'm sure he is reading and studying the playbook.

I'm sure he is too- he's not Billy Joe Hobert. I just don't expect him to seriously compete for the starting job, especially now that he's injured.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:35 PM
He watched Brett Favre!!

By that standard, the entire state of Wisconsin is just as qualified.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Stupid BB. He should've given back the job to their franchise QB once he got healthy instead of seriously giving the job to that 7th (or was it 6th) rd. qb who was just in his 2nd year.

The season must have started and no one told me! I didn't realize Nall was already starting for us and playing well like Brady was.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
The season must have started and no one told me! I didn't realize Nall was already starting for us and playing well like Brady was.I didn't realize the season had started either when we signed Nall to a contract and was told "you're our 3rd string, END OF STORY"

Neither Holcomb and JP were Marv's pick. I doubt they would flinch to name Nall the starter if he was way above the other 2. He was struggling with this new O.

Don't go calling Marv a liar unless you have proof of this. Don't go telling us the laws of corporate politics. This is not your everyday company and the last time I checked, you had never worked for any proffessional team. So your opinion is as good as anyone else's.

IS it also a FACT that Marv lied to Price, Davis and every other FA he signed?

It just amazes me sometimes how we fans seem to know the in's and out's of this team. Like our opinion is bible. It isn't END OF STORY.

madness
08-03-2006, 03:09 PM

madness
08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Nall was brought in just to be a 3rd stringer and Marv and Dick are a bunch of liars. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. Sounds like realism and pessimism is kicking someone's ass and he don't know which way is up anymore.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I didn't realize the season had started either when we signed Nall to a contract and was told "you're our 3rd string, END OF STORY"

Neither Holcomb and JP were Marv's pick. I doubt they would flinch to name Nall the starter if he was way above the other 2. He was struggling with this new O.

Don't go calling Marv a liar unless you have proof of this. Don't go telling us the laws of corporate politics. This is not your everyday company and the last time I checked, you had never worked for any proffessional team. So your opinion is as good as anyone else's.

IS it also a FACT that Marv lied to Price, Davis and every other FA he signed?

It just amazes me sometimes how we fans seem to know the in's and out's of this team. Like our opinion is bible. It isn't END OF STORY.

What exactly is your definition of "lying"? Football teams never tell the media/fans the whole story. Every GM/coach lies or at least tells half-truths.

Nall has a better chance of starting here than he would have in GB as long as Favre is there. So maybe Marv and co. exaggerated that fact a little and made him think he had a better chance at the starting job than he did. Or maybe they never told him that and they just told the media that to keep the heat off as to why they gave so much money to a guy who was a 3rd stringer. Or keep the media off as to why they were signing QB's when we had those two Woodbury, Holcomb, Losman and that NFLE guy that's in camp now but both lines were still in shambles.

Yeah they would name Nall the starter if he was leagues ahead of the other two- they would have to. But do you think they honestly believed that would happen when they brought him in? Please.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Nall was brought in just to be a 3rd stringer and Marv and Dick are a bunch of liars. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. Sounds like realism and pessimism is kicking someone's ass and he don't know which way is up anymore.

Why else would Nall have been brought in? Like it's a shocker to sign a 3rd string QB and we're the first NFL team in history to do that.

And name one coach or GM that has ever been 100% truthful with the fans and media. It doesn't happen.

madness
08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Why else would Nall have been brought in? Like it's a shocker to sign a 3rd string QB and we're the first NFL team in history to do that.

And name one coach or GM that has ever been 100% truthful with the fans and media. It doesn't happen.

So let me get this straight. You give a 2nd and 3rd string QB the same reps as the 1st string QB, ignore the results, then name the 1st string QB your starter while impeding his progress the whole way through camp.

Brilliant! Marv really is a genius.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 03:36 PM
What exactly is your definition of "lying"? Football teams never tell the media/fans the whole story. Every GM/coach lies or at least tells half-truths.

Nall has a better chance of starting here than he would have in GB as long as Favre is there. So maybe Marv and co. exaggerated that fact a little and made him think he had a better chance at the starting job than he did. Or maybe they never told him that and they just told the media that to keep the heat off as to why they gave so much money to a guy who was a 3rd stringer. Or keep the media off as to why they were signing QB's when we had those two Woodbury, Holcomb, Losman and that NFLE guy that's in camp now but both lines were still in shambles.

Yeah they would name Nall the starter if he was leagues ahead of the other two- they would have to. But do you think they honestly believed that would happen when they brought him in? Please.
Now a see a bunch of MAYBE's. I can live with maybe's . In other words opinions. For you to say "END OF STORY" is another thing. :D.
OP, in case you missed it, the bills are in rebuild mode. Other than guys like Willis, Clements, Moorman,Evans (few others) every other questionable position like the OL, DL wr and QB there is going to be competition.

Marv had Kelly, do you think he was just going to give the no.1 and no. 2 to a rookie he never drafted (JP is no Kelly) or a career back up in Holcomb?

IMO Nall is just another POTENTIAL like JP where Marv is concerned.

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
So let me get this straight. You give a 2nd and 3rd string QB the same reps as the 1st string QB, ignore the results, then name the 1st string QB your starter while impeding his progress the whole way through camp.

Brilliant! Marv really is a genius.

it's a gamble, jackass. And not much of one to say that JP will beat out Holcomb and a guy who's only played 30 snaps.

As in, you give the illusion of a competition to appease the vets and hope that JP does well enough to make it look like he won the starting job.

With Nall injured and Holcomb being typically noodle-armed, it looks like they're getting what they want.

And we as fans seem to think that sharing snaps is impeding progress. The coaches seem to disagree.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
And name one coach or GM that has ever been 100% truthful with the fans and media. It doesn't happen.I'm sure you're right. Problem is, we need more proof about who did what which you cannot provide. You're GUESSING when you specifically call out Marv.

You cannot tell me that if Nall came in and blew JP and KH away that Marv would still pencil him as a 3rd string :coocoo: I know you think he's old but he's not an idiot.

I would still guarantee he knows 1,000,000 X more than you how to run a team even at his age. Care to dispute that?

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm sure you're right. Problem is, we need more proof about who did what which you cannot provide. You're GUESSING when you specifically call out Marv.

You cannot tell me that if Nall came in and blew JP and KH away that Marv would still pencil him as a 3rd string :coocoo:

I already said that he would have to play Nall in that situation. But do you think Marv actually expected that would happen? You're the one who talks about how great Marv's football knowledge is all the time- I'm sure he's had a pretty damn good idea who the starter would be for some time now.

justasportsfan
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
But do you think Marv actually expected that would happen? You're the one who talks about how great Marv's football knowledge is all the time- I'm sure he's had a pretty damn good idea who the starter would be for some time now.

Nope. A great mind won't judge anyone he hasn't seen first hand especially since it's not his offense. Even Dick who's the headcoach has been known to delegate duties. He let's Fairchild decide to run the O and only steps in when he has to.

As far as Marv knowing what's gonna happen, I doubt he knew that's why he made them compete in the first place. Just like Peerless, Davis, Fowler etc. Every position w/ a question mark is being competed for at camp that you haven't even been to. You're just guessing.

YardRat
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Since when was Pat Kirwan a respected journalist?

OpIv37
08-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Nope. A great mind won't judge anyone he hasn't seen first hand especially since it's not his offense. Even Dick who's the headcoach has been known to delegate duties. He let's Fairchild decide to run the O and only steps in when he has to.

As far as Marv knowing what's gonna happen, I doubt he knew that's why he made them compete in the first place. Just like Peerless, Davis, Fowler etc. Every position w/ a question mark is being competed for at camp that you haven't even been to. You're just guessing.

I see. So Marv is giving guys $2.5 million a year to compete? If he's gonna waste the cap space he better be at least fairly certain the guys are going to be on the field or else it's gonna catch up to him quickly.

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 09:00 PM

THATHURMANATOR
08-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I see. So Marv is giving guys $2.5 million a year to compete? If he's gonna waste the cap space he better be at least fairly certain the guys are going to be on the field or else it's gonna catch up to him quickly.

madness
08-04-2006, 08:21 AM
it's a gamble, jackass. And not much of one to say that JP will beat out Holcomb and a guy who's only played 30 snaps.

As in, you give the illusion of a competition to appease the vets and hope that JP does well enough to make it look like he won the starting job.

With Nall injured and Holcomb being typically noodle-armed, it looks like they're getting what they want.

And we as fans seem to think that sharing snaps is impeding progress. The coaches seem to disagree.

Did you come up with this little conspiracy theory all by your little self? I'm very proud of you, good use of your imagination.

mysticsoto
08-04-2006, 08:36 AM

Perhaps, but he was looking like he might make 2nd string...

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Nall was on his way to be No. 1!!!

NALL BALL BABY!!!!

justasportsfan
08-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I see. So Marv is giving guys $2.5 million a year to compete? If he's gonna waste the cap space he better be at least fairly certain the guys are going to be on the field or else it's gonna catch up to him quickly.YEs. They are on the team. They will see the field. What we are talking about here is the starting position being competed for. What you fail to see is that we are REBUILDING. What is it about that word you don't understand. Everyone in their first year of rebuild is under a microscope except for guys like Evans, Spikes, etc. . Whoever doesn't pan out is gone next year. That includes the qb position since it is a postion that hasn't been filled yet. In the meantime, they all compete for it. It's not like Peyton is our qb.