PDA

View Full Version : If anyone here was Peerless...

Kelly The Dog
02-20-2003, 03:06 PM
and you grew up in Dayton, OH, and won a National Championship at Tennessee, played four years on the Buffalo Bills and put up the best numbers any receiver in team history has done, saw your best friend making 40 million on the other side of the formation, are on the verge of likely having your ONR chance in your entire career for a huge contract, are being told by nearly EVERYONE that you are the most sought after FA WR in the entire league, and the Buffalo Bills, whom you wanted to stay with, just offered that low-end contract before free agency began, what would you do?

a) Just sign it because you're a good guy and team player and Buffalo Bill forever knowing that it's at least ten million less than some other team will offer and even a lot less than the Bills will later offer?
b) Say you're very happy with being franchised because that means no one else can really sign you and you get a one year 5 million deal without seeing what the market will bear...
c) Fill in the blank_____________________________.

Mr. Miyagi
02-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah yeah we get your point. Not an invalid one either.

kgun12
02-20-2003, 03:16 PM
C. Wish I could wake up in the morning with a 1000% rise garuteed for 1 year. haha.

Seriuosly I understand him wanting a chance at big money and I say LET HIM GO. I think he is a good WR. I think having a player of Moulds caliber help him ALOT. I think he needs to go to a team that has a good WR on the other side cause PP is not big enough to take the beating of a #1 either in height or weight. This is not meant as a slam just a statement of fact about his size.

How many #1 guys can you remeber that are his size.

BLeonard
02-20-2003, 03:18 PM
C: I'd realize that even though it isn't a $5 million dollar contract, that the $3 million a season and the $4.5 million signing bonus that went with is, coupled with the fact that the Bills are working on being a perrennial contender for an NFL Championship, is more than enough for me to live comfortable for the rest of my life, considering last season, I made less than a million. The long-term commitment in the multi-year deal is enough to make me not worry about the financial side of football, probably for the rest of my career. As a Franchise player, if I sign the one year tender, as opposed to the multi-year contract, sure, I get $5 mil, no questions asked, but what about the seasons after that? What if I'm hurt and can never play again? I think I'd take the long term over the quick money.

-Bill

LtBillsFan66
02-20-2003, 03:20 PM
c) In this day and age, I would try to make as much as possible.

Kelly The Dog
02-20-2003, 03:23 PM
I don't know you from Adam Sandler, BLeonard, but are you really telling me and everyone here that YOU would take that first offer and be happy with it if it was you?

lordofgun
02-20-2003, 03:25 PM
I can't say I'd be upset making 5.01 mil in one year!

Kelly The Dog
02-20-2003, 03:29 PM
That doesnt answer the question, m'lord. Of course, anyone could say 5 million is a lot. But I cannot believe any single poster on this entire board in that exact situation would say "Ok, that sounds good. 5 million for one year and no long term contract or free agency. He's going to get more than 5 million this year from any offer he gets, except of course, the first low ball offer the Bills made him (which was just under 5 million).

lordofgun
02-20-2003, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but as long as he performs well, he'll be ok. He says he's the real deal, let him prove it over the long run!

But no, I probably wouldn't be happy...still couldn't see myself being ticked over "only" 5 mil though...lol

BLeonard
02-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Kelly,

Price was presented that offer BEFORE the 2002 season... Based on what Price had done up to that point, I think $3 million is fine for a #2 WR.

What this Franchise Tag does is let the Bills see what the market for Price is gonna be WITHOUT having to hear just how great he is from him and his agent.

The fact is, even though we have numbers on what the contract the Bills offered Price, we don't know what all was entailed. If it was similar to Moulds' contract, the salary increases by the season. Christ, Moulds is only set to make $3.2 Million in salary for 2003. There's an extra $2 million in bonus... You're tellin me that Price is worth MORE than Moulds?

-Bill

don137
02-20-2003, 03:42 PM
I think Bills fans are a little more critical of Peerless Price than the average player. He has an attitude since day one and in multiple occasions has a "me" first attitude over the team. He shows more arrogance than sportsaship on the field. Now I realize 99% of all athlete are arrogant but he crosses the line at times. Now with that said, I agree that he wants to cash in big time and understand his disappointment. No one is surprised by his disappointment but fans rather see a team first guy even though they deep in there heart understand to a degree where Peerless is coming from.

kgun12
02-20-2003, 03:47 PM
I know I'm old fashsion and in this sports era of ME ME ME your right Kelly he is getting under paid, but thems the rules of the game. The franchise tag was put into play just for the ME ME generation! So I guess PP will have to deal with it.

LtBillsFan66
02-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Good post don. Most are thinking too much as Bills fans and not rationally.

Yes, sports players make too much money, yadda, yadda, yadda. Yes, most people would be more than happy with 5 mil, yadda, yadda, yadda. But who wouldn’t try and make the most? Honestly?

Kelly The Dog
02-20-2003, 03:49 PM
BLeonard, the question has nothing to do with whether or not PP is worth it or we should or shouldnt sign or tag him. I just wanted everyone to take a step back and put themselves in his shoes. I don't care what kind of guy he is, or whether you wouldnt be as selfish as him. I am saying that ANYONE in his position would likely not be happy and would not sgn the offer the Bills made and WANT to see what the FA market would bear. So how does everyone reconcile that he is such a selfish bastard when we all would likely do and say and feel the same way.

kgun12
02-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
BLeonard, the question has nothing to do with whether or not PP is worth it or we should or shouldnt sign or tag him. I just wanted everyone to take a step back and put themselves in his shoes. I don't care what kind of guy he is, or whether you wouldnt be as selfish as him. I am saying that ANYONE in his position would likely not be happy and would not sgn the offer the Bills made and WANT to see what the FA market would bear. So how does everyone reconcile that he is such a selfish bastard when we all would likely do and say and feel the same way.

KELLY YOU ARE RIGHT! If I ever heard team first out of PP mouth I would feel sorry for him. I wrote this earlier today. WE have had MANY ME first guys at 1 Bills Drive and are 0-4 in SB's. Let this ME first guy go and bring in Quality FA like Fletcher, Teague team first me will take care of itself. And lets go WIN a SB!:bigwave: bye bye PP.

BLeonard
02-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
I am saying that ANYONE in his position would likely not be happy and would not sgn the offer the Bills made and WANT to see what the FA market would bear. So how does everyone reconcile that he is such a selfish bastard when we all would likely do and say and feel the same way.

He can still test the Free Agent market... If he's so good, the team that wants him will gladly give the 2 First Round Draft Picks for him. A Franchise Tag doesn't take the player's right to get offers away. It simply gives the home team the right to match the offer, or get compensation for him.

If I put myself in his shoes, I'd be happy to be an NFL player, and will be in a position to take care of my future, regardless of what happens with the tag.

-Bill