PDA

View Full Version : Is Hockey more exciting at the game?

Jaydog57
08-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe it's a southern thing, but I just can't get into it. Chasing a puck around for 3 hours, and the game ends 1-0. The fights are cool though. No dis:respect: , just an observation.

Earthquake Enyart
08-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Yes. It is much more exciting in person. You don't get the feel of how fast the game really is on TV.

But with HD, TV is getting better.

clumping platelets
08-04-2006, 09:12 AM
OMG!! Howdy Jaydog :up:

I prefer to be at the game.......

LtFinFan66
08-04-2006, 09:15 AM
any sport is more exciting if you are there. Except soccer maybe?

jamze132
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Hockey is a blast to see live. Especially if you can get a seat behind the oppsing teams bench! I was asked to leave by security once!

Jaydog57
08-04-2006, 12:27 PM
That sucks you guys lost out going to the Stanley Cup. I think you start out the season against the Hurricanes though right? Nothing wrong with a little payback.:machgun:

Hey Clumpy!:cool:

SABURZFAN
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
it's DEFINITELY more exciting at the game.you see more than you see on TV.the fights in the stands can be exciting too.you get your occasional rowdies. :up:

The_Philster
08-04-2006, 03:31 PM
:bigwave: Jaydog
Yeah...much more exciting...and 1-0 games are pretty much a thing of the past under the new rules

shelby
08-04-2006, 04:58 PM
You have to see it in person to appreciate it.

The_Philster
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
You have to see it in person to appreciate it.
which I never got a chance to really, this season :sadwalk:

shelby
08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Neither did i.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Maybe it's a southern thing, but I just can't get into it. Chasing a puck around for 3 hours, and the game ends 1-0. The fights are cool though. No dis:respect: , just an observation.
1-0 games ??? They average 5 goals a game man. Plus they crush each other all over the ice, and the action is non stop. Where in football there is a 5 second play followed by a minute of standing around in between.

Jaydog57
08-04-2006, 06:37 PM
1-0 games ??? They average 5 goals a game man. Plus they crush each other all over the ice, and the action is non stop. Where in football there is a 5 second play followed by a minute of standing around in between.I can appreciate that, but football is so much more strategy. It's like a live chess game, with 45 second intervals. Hockey seems to be fast paced, but the strategy is a little different. I think I need to go to a live hockey game.:respect:

shelby
08-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Yes you do! Treat yourself to a Lightning game.

chernobylwraiths
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Make sure you take a radio and listen to Jennerett though if you get a chance to come to Buffalo. You won't believe how exciting it is then.

ddaryl
08-05-2006, 02:28 AM
IMO Hockey is best watched at the arena. The game moves to fast and the camera has to chase the puck.

Football IMO is better watched on TV though, each play can and needs to be broken down an digested in slow motion replay.

SabreEleven
08-05-2006, 12:25 PM

You must be a Hurricanes fan.

JD
08-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Just ask Mikey, he went to his first Sabres game last year.

I think he loved it?

I've gone to at least 100 games since I was a kid.. after going to a game, it made watching at home more exciting actually. Like I feel I'm at the game when I watch it on TV now since I've seen them play in person so many times. HD helps :up:

shelby
08-05-2006, 12:47 PM
My son starting going to hockey games at age 6 and loves it.:up:

Jaydog57
08-05-2006, 01:16 PM
You must be a Hurricanes fan.If you mean Carolina, no. If you mean Miami, abso-freakin'-lutley:punk:

shelby
08-05-2006, 01:18 PM
:squish:

OpIv37
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
1-0 games ??? They average 5 goals a game man. Plus they crush each other all over the ice, and the action is non stop. Where in football there is a 5 second play followed by a minute of standing around in between.

to me, that's the joy of hockey. There isn't a lot of scoring compared to say, basketball or most football games. But it's INTENSE. These guys are professional athletes and they can barely stay on the ice for more than 2 minutes at a time because they're going so hard. And you never know when a team is going to break one so there's constant tension.

But, in Jaydog's defense, hockey really is a regional thing. It seems to be one of those things that if you don't grow up with it, you just don't get it.

OpIv37
08-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Make sure you take a radio and listen to Jennerett though if you get a chance to come to Buffalo. You won't believe how exciting it is then.

XM radio :up:

They broadcast the home team's coverage of every NHL game, so whenever the Sabres are in Buffalo I can hear Jennerett anywhere in the country.

OpIv37
08-05-2006, 05:50 PM
If you mean Carolina, no. If you mean Miami, abso-freakin'-lutley:punk:

you kinda missed the joke. Carolina Hurricanes fans are bandwagon jumpers- they were just trying to find a way to avoid sobering up between NASCAR races.

and as far as Miami goes: GO IRISH! Those Hurricanes are a bunch of thugs.

But getting back to the topic at hand, hockey is all about the intensity, not the scoring. It's played on pure energy and adrenaline more than any other sport. It's not basketball where someone scores every 30 seconds, but it's nonstop action. You don't have to wait 10 seconds while they move the ball beyond half court and they don't have 3 million timeouts per side. Like Thurm said, there is literally no down time in hockey. Sometimes there are a lot of face-offs, but games are 60 minutes long and every second of those 60 minutes is at full speed and full intensity.

Philagape
08-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I can't think of anything that's more exciting on TV than live.

BillsFever21
08-07-2006, 02:55 AM
The game is more exciting in person but if you're not already a fan of the game then it's not gonna change it that much.

I'm not a fan of hockey but I attend a couple games a year with my buddies for something to do. I watch the game and it's better then it is on TV but it's not like I get overly excited.

It's better in person but not that much better. If you already don't like it you're not gonna suddenly love the game just by watching it live. It's fun and something to do but that's about it. Whatever the outcome of the game is doesn't matter to me.

JD
08-07-2006, 06:36 AM
At least your not always looking up to the big screen like you do at a football game.

MTBillsFan
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
YES! i was able to go to my first 2 NHL games in March they were AWESOME!
The people in the stands are cool in San Jose

BlackMetalNinja
08-10-2006, 08:02 AM
In my opinion hockey is by far the best sport to watch in person. I'm a huge hockey fan as it is, but the intensity is really notched up when you're right there live. I've never had trouble following it on tv, but I know a lot of people new to the sport can't follow the puck at all.