• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

The favored reps for holcomb with the first string shows

I tried this offseason to explain how that works and will try to do so in more depth.

# of reps with the first string is an early indicator of who the coach wants as his QB. To me I am suprised DJ is allowing a 60-40 or 70-30 ratio of holcomb to JP with the first string. It makes, what may be, his personal prefrence way too obvious.

QB competitions are ALWAYS geared to allow one guy a better shot at winning the job. So far it looks like holcomb is DJ's choice.

for a true QB competition to yield a true winner the following has to happen...

Exact same amount of reps with the first string with the exact same personel. Not 'Well we had the starting OL but our 5th and 6th WR's'. Same line, same personel period.

Exact same plays ran under the exact same conditions. IE a 3 wide set against a cover 2 D. Same play, same peronel on both sides of the ball. Now to get a true measure, one guy can do it during the day, the other at night.

Those are the very basics on how you can truely have a QB competition. Bottom line, you can't. There is no way to simulate the exact same situations over and over. But to clearly give KH more reps with the first string while JP is running for his life with scrubs for an OL....that is way too obvious and there is no way DJ can say with any honesty this is a true QB competition.

IMHO DJ is going to take a DC aproach to it and make sure he has a guy that aledgedly (I guess he hasn't seen holcomb last year) won't put the team in danger by taking chances and go with holcomb. It is also MHO that he is listening to veterans like MM did.

I hope I am wrong. This is a rebuilding year/ Team and we don't need to waste valuable reps on a 33 year old career backup. This thinking flys in the face of everything they said and did this offseason.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: The favored reps for holcomb with the first string shows

Maybe the coaches are practicing JP's decisions under pressure which is why he's taking snaps w/ the 2nd unit.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      Maybe the coaches are practicing JP's decisions under pressure which is why he's taking snaps w/ the 2nd unit.
      LOL. I can see where you are going and understand but the bottom line is, its a waste of time. He wont' be playing with that crap ol and the bottom WR's on a full time basis. He needs to have more reps with the guys he will have at his disposal.

Comment

• Patti120
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        Wishful thinking

Comment

• bledslow
          • May 2004

Why do ppl worry about future seasons and future games from those seasons that will not be played until years from now??? Worry about the here and NOW,holcomb is clearly better then loserman.

33 years old at the qb position is not old.Especially for a guy who has not taking beatings from prior seasons.

There is almost no such thing as rebuilding in todays nfl,teams can have drastic turn-arounds in ONE season to the next.And you never know if the supposed good/great teams will have terrible injuries.Brady can get hurt at any moment. And playing losman now does not guaranteed he will be better next year or the year after.I seen many times when a guy benefited from sitting for a few years,i think losman needs even more years(i truely believe he will never get IT actually) --jp losman is mike mcmahon part two.

Comment

• mayotm
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by bledslow
            Why do ppl worry about future seasons and future games from those seasons that will not be played until years from now??? Worry about the here and NOW,holcomb is clearly better then loserman.

33 years old at the qb position is not old.Especially for a guy who has not taking beatings from prior seasons.

There is almost no such thing as rebuilding in todays nfl,teams can have drastic turn-arounds in ONE season to the next.And you never know if the supposed good/great teams will have terrible injuries.Brady can get hurt at any moment. And playing losman now does not guaranteed he will be better next year or the year after.I seen many times when a guy benefited from sitting for a few years,i think losman needs even more years(i truely believe he will never get IT actually) --jp losman is mike mcmahon part two.
            You're right, playing Losman now does not guarentee that he will be better in the future. However, it does allow the coaching staff to assess if he is the QB of the future, or if they need to head in a different direction. The eight games Losman played last year simply isn't enough for a fair assessment.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
              Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
              I tried this offseason to explain how that works and will try to do so in more depth.

# of reps with the first string is an early indicator of who the coach wants as his QB. To me I am suprised DJ is allowing a 60-40 or 70-30 ratio of holcomb to JP with the first string. It makes, what may be, his personal prefrence way too obvious.

QB competitions are ALWAYS geared to allow one guy a better shot at winning the job. So far it looks like holcomb is DJ's choice.

Exact same amount of reps with the first string with the exact same personel. Not 'Well we had the starting OL but our 5th and 6th WR's'. Same line, same personel period.

Exact same plays ran under the exact same conditions. IE a 3 wide set against a cover 2 D. Same play, same peronel on both sides of the ball. Now to get a true measure, one guy can do it during the day, the other at night.

Those are the very basics on how you can truely have a QB competition. Bottom line, you can't. There is no way to simulate the exact same situations over and over. But to clearly give KH more reps with the first string while JP is running for his life with scrubs for an OL....that is way too obvious and there is no way DJ can say with any honesty this is a true QB competition.

IMHO DJ is going to take a DC aproach to it and make sure he has a guy that aledgedly (I guess he hasn't seen holcomb last year) won't put the team in danger by taking chances and go with holcomb. It is also MHO that he is listening to veterans like MM did.

I hope I am wrong. This is a rebuilding year/ Team and we don't need to waste valuable reps on a 33 year old career backup. This thinking flys in the face of everything they said and did this offseason.
              dammit.
              "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
              -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mayotm
                You're right, playing Losman now does not guarentee that he will be better in the future. However, it does allow the coaching staff to assess if he is the QB of the future, or if they need to head in a different direction. The eight games Losman played last year simply isn't enough for a fair assessment.
                Agreed. We know what holcomb is, a career backup. Time to decide if JP is the guy or not. If not then we move on this next offseason.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

Hopefully the ratio doesn't actually get up to 60/40. So far, it seems as if snaps are fairly even. One guy ends up getting 1 more here or there. For example, last night, Holcomb got 17 and Losman got 16. At least that's what I've read. 51/49 isn't bad. I've also read in some where Losman had 1 or 2 more. I, obviously like everyone else, would love to know what the exact count is each night. If the snaps do indeed start getting out of the 50/50 range (give or take) then we certainly know who the coaches are leaning toward.

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

I follow the thinking...but I dont agree with the final outcome. I think JP will separate himeself in pre season where Holcom will show his limitations. If Holcom is in there they will play 8 in the box all day. You just cant do that with JP.

Vin

Originally posted by ICE74129

Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

If TedMock is right about the snap count, than the point of this thread is moot.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                        If TedMock is right about the snap count, than the point of this thread is moot.
                        it's true. ICE is the only one making a big stink out of it because of the last 2 practices. If JP ends up taking more snaps the nest few practices w/ the first unit (who knows who the first unit is anyways), what will he come up w/ next?
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Yeah, I haven't heard that one QB is getting more 1st team snaps.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal
                            Yeah, I haven't heard that one QB is getting more 1st team snaps.
                            it just seems like it because for now, Holcomb is starting out with the starters first each day. They are pretty even, but it seems like Holcomb starts out the day.

Comment

• shelby
                              The Vanilla admin
                              • Jul 2002

Can y'all say incentive?

Comment

Working...
                              X