PDA

View Full Version : Bills can sign and trade Peerless Price without a cap hit....

Michael82
02-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Apparently, the Buffalo Bills can work with another team to negotiate a deal for Peerless Price. They can then sign Price to the deal and as long as they trade him within 24 hours, the Bills can remove the $5.1 Million Cap hit and pay nothing for him, the whole contract goes to wherever he goes. Basically, this tag is a NO BRAINER. Here's why Clump and EB must be salivating... :D

1. Bills can remove tag at any time (for no cost to them).

2. Bills can sign Peerless Price to a deal, then trade him within 24 hours and the current cap hit goes away and he costs NOTHING!

3. Bills have until March 15 to come up with a deal for Peerless Price without the losing the tag for the remainder of his contract.

4. Bills own exclusive rights to Peerless Price and if they don't match an offer, they get two 1st round draft picks for him.

5. Again....Bills can get rid of him for FREE!!! All they have to do is take the tag off or sign him and trade him on the same day!

GREAT MOVE by Tom Donahoe...although, who wouldn't have done it? To me, it seems like a No Brainer! :up:

:feedback:

Judge
02-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Or they can just keep him and use him for 1 year at 5 mil, and let him go as an unrestricted FA next year.

Michael82
02-20-2003, 10:30 PM
EXACTLY....either way...they have sooo many choices. It was definitely a no brainer. If he plays for the 1-year deal...that gives Josh Reed 1 more year to learn the ropes and take over in 2004. :D

don137
02-21-2003, 08:31 AM
With TD saying "a new deal would have to fit within the team's salary structure" kind of tips your hat that TD is not 100% sold on keeping . TD is one smart cookie. Definately a win-win deal.
Of course Boston not being tagged hurts because who ever signs him will not be in the market for Price.
http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/bills/0221story2_bills.shtml

BLeonard
02-21-2003, 09:24 AM
The problem I see with it is the signing bonus... If the Bills sign Price , then trade him, the bonus WOULD count on their cap... Correct?

-Bill

clumping platelets
02-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Bills DO NOT need to give Peerless a signing bonus and then trade him.

Bills sign Peerless to the tender of $5.01 million then trade him to another team and let that team sign him to long-term deal with a signing bonus

Bills: Get cap space back AND something in return in the form of draft choices

Price: He goes to a team foolishly willing to make him a #1 WR AND pay him #1 $$

don137
02-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Doesn't the sign and trade have to occur on the same day to alleviate the Bills from the signing bonus?

clumping platelets
02-21-2003, 09:53 AM
I believe so

Ebenezer
02-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Leo Roth from the D&C was on the radio yesterday...it has to happen on the same day...whether that means a 24 hour block, as Mikey indicated, nobody really knows for sure.

Michael82
02-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by BLeonard
The problem I see with it is the signing bonus... If the Bills sign Price , then trade him, the bonus WOULD count on their cap... Correct?

-Bill

WRONG....If they sign him to a deal that works for the other team, they can then trade him within 24 hours and all of his cap hit is GONE! 100%! It has to be within 24 hours though.

BillsNYC
02-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
EXACTLY....either way...they have sooo many choices. It was definitely a no brainer. If he plays for the 1-year deal...that gives Josh Reed 1 more year to learn the ropes and take over in 2004. :D

but then we lose $5 million in cash we could have spent in free agency on DEFENSE :baghead:

Michael82
02-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey paper bag head....:D

We still will have over $7 million and if we don't trade Price, we don't have the 1st rounder either. So basically, having Price for the 1 year deal is like our 1st rounder. :D

WG
02-21-2003, 12:06 PM
That's cool. I didn't realize that we could remove that tag and let him go anytime. Not so bad then.

But still, not knowing what we'll do with him could cost us early in free-agency if we don't get any offers and as FAs that we could have signed slip away. I hope TD has a defined plan and a willing buyer. Our D needs too much help to sign Price and the longer we wait, the more other teams' caps will fill up making trading for such a high priced player more difficult.

This will work out well if we can move him early in FAcy. If it lingers I have to question the move however. Unless the tag is then dropped in order to sign a big defensive player.

WG
02-21-2003, 12:08 PM
BTW, I'll be surprised if we get a first in exchange for Price. One very good, not even great season wouldn't make me forfeit a #1 pick. Especially given the expense that Price will demand.

I just hope that every other team in the league regards Price as highly as we do.

The Natrix
02-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
BTW, I'll be surprised if we get a first in exchange for Price. One very good, not even great season wouldn't make me forfeit a #1 pick. Especially given the expense that Price will demand.

I just hope that every other team in the league regards Price as highly as we do.

I completely disagree. Unless it is maybe the first 3 or so picks in the draft, every team in the NFL would be happy with their pick turning out as good as Peerless Price

Although, I do want to see him traded, I will not be surprised when he flourishes with another team.

I don't think there would be one Atlanta fan who would have a problem with trading their first for Price. Vick + Price + Solid D = contender. O yeah, and Price would make Finneran look like an all star :rolleyes:.

clumping platelets
02-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Atlanta has the 23rd pick in rd 1.........they could take a rookie WR or trade it to us as part of a deal for Peerless. I would even let them swap picks in rd 2.

WG
02-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

I completely disagree. Unless it is maybe the first 3 or so picks in the draft, every team in the NFL would be happy with their pick turning out as good as Peerless Price

Although, I do want to see him traded, I will not be surprised when he flourishes with another team.

I don't think there would be one Atlanta fan who would have a problem with trading their first for Price. Vick + Price + Solid D = contender. O yeah, and Price would make Finneran look like an all star :rolleyes:.

We'll see Natrix. We'll see. I hope you're right.

But think about it this way too, if all we're gonna get is a 23rd first rounder, perhaps it would be better to take a 2nd and 3rd instead w/ our scouting staff. The biggest thing we could use from the draft is a DT and there likely won't be one worthy of a first rounder at 23. It's a shallow draft for DTs. Whether any speed DEs/OLBs and playmakers at those positions are still around at 23 remains to be seen. I would think that any of those would be long gone too.

I guess I'm concerned that we'd simply be trading to have a first rounder by name and not so much a well positioned pick. On the flip side, a first round pick anywhere is more than we have now.

With the Brookings signing I'm not sure whether Atlanta will want to blow their cap sum total on Price. I'd go for a bunch of other WRs before I'd go for Price. I'd make Seattle an offer for Darrell Jackson involving my first long before I'd give up my first for Price.

If a team is willing to give up a first, then there will be other teams interested in dealing with them and probably for WRs that are just as good with better track records in the NFL and for less money. Heck, I'd take Gadsen over Price if it didn't involve my first rounder. I'd definitely offer more for Boston. I would even try Frank Sanders, a very good WR who's been in the shadow of two of the best in Moore and Boston.

We'll see how much teams are willing to give up for Price. Maybe I'm the one that's totally out of whack on what teams will give up. But a first rounder, a large bonus, and big bucks for a WR who's had one season in four over 1,000, never 10 TDs, and who's largely been a beneficiary of a system in Buffalo would be too much for me.

BigMike68
02-21-2003, 05:16 PM
This is for Clump what exactly is our cap now that we tagged Price (pretending we keep him) I've heard all kinds off numbers from 3-9 million i was thinking it was around 6-8, just hoping you could clear it up. Also Why do all these guys on the radio keep saying JR saves 2.5 by cutting him i thought it was 3.5.

Judge
02-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Yup- good point.

Bledsoe and his Hall-of-Fame credentials got the Patriots 1 first round draft pick.

Buffarama
02-21-2003, 10:02 PM
I would demand at least a number one and a warm body, preferrably higher than Atlanta.
Otherwise, we'll keep him. Peerless is no sloutch. Not only that, he fits in perfectly here. We don't want to move him.

Judge
02-21-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama
I would demand at least a number one and a warm body, preferrably higher than Atlanta.
Otherwise, we'll keep him. Peerless is no sloutch. Not only that, he fits in perfectly here. We don't want to move him.

i agree that the Bills want to keep him- 1 year at 5 mil is a bargain compared to a long-term big bonus deal.

No team will pay what you'd demand- 1 #1 AND a player? Never. Again, look at Bledsoe- the Bills got a HOF caliber QB for one #1 pick. How can Price approach that, let alone be traded for more?

venis2k1
02-21-2003, 10:25 PM
There were ALOT of questions about drew though:

Can he rebound from his injury?

Can his body hold up much longer?

How many more years can he play(he is 31 now)

While Peerless is a fast young injury free stud. A friend of mine( a titans fan) said the titans GM would be crazy not to trade their first round pick for Peerless(granted what a fan thinks in meaningless) but i would not be shocked if we got a 1st out of it and got Boss Bailey out of the deal.

ublinkwescore
02-22-2003, 10:01 AM
I have a friend who's a titans fan too - and he seemed to be quite interested in the fact that Buffalo seemed set to get rid of Peerless Price.

I wonder what he thinks now that he's Franchise tagged.

Halbert
02-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Judge

i agree that the Bills want to keep him- 1 year at 5 mil is a bargain compared to a long-term big bonus deal.

No team will pay what you'd demand- 1 #1 AND a player? Never. Again, look at Bledsoe- the Bills got a HOF caliber QB for one #1 pick. How can Price approach that, let alone be traded for more?
I wouldn't consider Drew's deal representative of the market. If you recall, early in the process virtually everyone was predicting the Pats would get much more than just the single pick. There were several factors that ended up being in the Bills favor, the two most important being Brady's SB run and the only other serious contender was the Bengals.

The demand is actually much higher for PP, therefore so could be the compensation.