PDA

View Full Version : Holcomb fans can celebrate!

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Based on Jauron's comments today there is no doubt in my mind that Holcomb will be the starting QB when we play NE. Unfortunately JP really was going to have to heal the sick and make the blind see.

The QB competition was and is a charade. I really believe that JP never had a shot. I hate when coaches play games. I just would have rather heard that we were starting Holcomb from the beginning. The prevailing "win now" attitude is why we haven't seen the playoffs in 6 years.

Guaranteed that Holcomb will blow and week 9 they'll throw JP in and we can spend another off season arguing about JP and Brady Quinn.

justasportsfan
08-07-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't agree with you ICE.

YardRat
08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
What comments? I just got back a little while ago and missed them...clue me in, please?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I dont know HH.... its all smoke and mirrors at this point. what a farce

ICE74129
08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't agree with you ICE. He is just starting to see the light is all.

But hey, things can change...I doubt they will...but you never know.

justasportsfan
08-07-2006, 08:44 PM
He is just starting to see the light is all.

But hey, things can change...I doubt they will...but you never know.I'm almost sure you were so SURE now you're changing your tune.

If KH wins the job, you'll say "I told you so, I was right"

If JP wins, "we'll I did say they could change their mind".

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I don't agree with you ICE.

Luke...can you feel the Dark side getting stronger...

ICE74129
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm almost sure you were so SURE now you're changing your tune.

If KH wins the job, you'll say "I told you so, I was right"

If JP wins, "we'll I did say they could change their mind".

Nope go back and read my posts. I have said since my return, things can change. Hey yes or no, is holcomb going to go down this year? that is an easy YES. JP comes in, lights it up they aren't going to pull him. So things can change.

Even if they want holcomb to win the job, he goes out and coughs up the ball a couple times against carolina, gets sacked, looks like crap then JP comes in with the 2nd string and puts up 2 TD's and looks decent...It doesn't matter what DJ wants. He can't justify Holcomb starting.

So let it play out.

justasportsfan
Luke...can you feel the Dark side getting stronger... stay away from the burrito. The beans makes your dark side stronger.

ICE74129

You will all join the empire sooner or later. And besides....join the darkside..we have cookies :dance:

YardRat
08-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Can you guys quit trying to *****-slap one another for just one post and provide or link, or even copy and paste, Jauron's comments that are the subject of this thread?

Thanks in advance :D

HHURRICANE
:darth: :darth: :darth: :darth:

justasportsfan
Nope go back and read my posts. I have said since my return, things can change. Hey yes or no, is holcomb going to go down this year? that is an easy YES. JP comes in, lights it up they aren't going to pull him. So things can change.

Even if they want holcomb to win the job, he goes out and coughs up the ball a couple times against carolina, gets sacked, looks like crap then JP comes in with the 2nd string and puts up 2 TD's and looks decent...It doesn't matter what DJ wants. He can't justify Holcomb starting.

So let it play out.but, but, you said the competition was bogus especially right after the so called reports that KH was getting more snaps, playing w/ the first team. Now that you can see the even JP is playing w/ the first team, you're changing your mind.

justasportsfan
08-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Can you guys quit trying to *****-slap one another for just one post and provide or link, or even copy and paste, Jauron's comments that are the subject of this thread?

Thanks in advance :Dbb.com . Wait better make sure www.buffalobills.com . You might mistake that for bangbus.com . Read Chris Brown blog.

ICE74129
08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
but, but, you said the competition was bogus especially right after the so called reports that KH was getting more snaps, playing w/ the first team. Now that you can see the even JP is playing w/ the first team, you're changing your mind.

Justa I know for FACT ALL QB competitions are bogus. My point is, holcomb can have 5 billion reps with the first string, but if he sucks hind tit against Carolina and JP doesnt....

ICE74129
08-07-2006, 08:52 PM
bb.com . Wait better make sure www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com) . You might mistake that for bangbus.com . Read Chris Brown blog.

And just how does Justa know about bangbus.com? Hummmmmmmm.....:D

HHURRICANE

Thanks in advance :D

Losman again was accurate with the deep ball. During 7-on-7 he hit Roscoe Parrish on a well-timed play that stood a good chance of resulting in a touchdown as Parrish got behind the cornerback and outside the safety.
Buried deep in his own territory Losman also hit Lee Evans on a go-route deep down the left sideline and hit him for a 50-yard gain. The play drew cheers from the crowd.
Jauron gave Losman some credit for his deep ball accuracy, but feels a quarterback needs to be consistent with all his throws.
"The times that I watched him I thought he made some good throws and the ones that stand out are the deep throws down the field," said Jauron of Losman. "But you've got to have them all because those short ones keep those sticks moving and keep your defense off the field."

justasportsfan
Justa I know for FACT ALL QB competitions are bogus. My point is, holcomb can have 5 billion reps with the first string, but if he sucks hind tit against Carolina and JP doesnt....

I don't believe you. :dance:

justasportsfan
08-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Losman again was accurate with the deep ball. During 7-on-7 he hit Roscoe Parrish on a well-timed play that stood a good chance of resulting in a touchdown as Parrish got behind the cornerback and outside the safety.
Buried deep in his own territory Losman also hit Lee Evans on a go-route deep down the left sideline and hit him for a 50-yard gain. The play drew cheers from the crowd.
Jauron gave Losman some credit for his deep ball accuracy, but feels a quarterback needs to be consistent with all his throws.
"The times that I watched him I thought he made some good throws and the ones that stand out are the deep throws down the field," said Jauron of Losman. "But you've got to have them all because those short ones keep those sticks moving and keep your defense off the field."Okay I read between the lines..... it's a smokescreen :dance:

justasportsfan
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Btw, was Miller a dink and dunk qb w/ a weak arm? If so, JP's in trouble.

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
You will all join the empire sooner or later. And besides....join the darkside..we have cookies :dance:

That's funny as hell.

YardRat
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
"The times that I watched him I thought he made some good throws and the ones that stand out are the deep throws down the field," said Jauron of Losman. "But you've got to have them all because those short ones keep those sticks moving and keep your defense off the field."

Thanks, again.

Does anybody actually dispute Jauron's comment about moving the chains and keeping the defense off of the field? Seems like common sense to me.<!-- / message -->

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks, again.

Does anybody actually dispute Jauron's comment about moving the chains and keeping the defense off of the field? Seems like common sense to me.<!-- / message -->

Nobody's disputing the importance of frist downs!!

I think he's justifying his decsion even though Losman is looking good in camp and obviously can throw the deep ball better.

YardRat
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Justifying what decision? Did he name Holcomb as the starter?

PcA125
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Did i miss something? Has the decision alrdy been made? Has KH been declared the starter

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately JP really was going to have to heal the sick and make the blind see.

Guaranteed that Holcomb will blow and week 9 they'll throw JP in and we can spend another off season arguing about JP and Brady Quinn.

Actually JP doesn't have to heal the sick or make the blind see. All he's got to do is beat out the crappy Holcomb. That should be easy for a 1st round draft pick. Peyton Manning did it, Tim Couch did it, why can't JP do it?

No there will be no arguing about JP or Brady Quinn. If the Bills draft Quinn, it will be JP who? Cause it will be bye bye to the JP project. Maybe he can sell his house to Brady.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Based on Jauron's comments today there is no doubt in my mind that Holcomb will be the starting QB when we play NE. Unfortunately JP really was going to have to heal the sick and make the blind see.

The QB competition was and is a charade. I really believe that JP never had a shot. I hate when coaches play games. I just would have rather heard that we were starting Holcomb from the beginning. The prevailing "win now" attitude is why we haven't seen the playoffs in 6 years.

Well I caught the comments about his long vs short game and making all the throws not just the deep passes; I knew this was coming but I just lost a TON of respect for you HH. This is spin doctor, rumor spreadin, wash women, BS!!!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself!

You know better.

If he does make this call, its a total mistake and only tells me that he truly wants his OWN QB of the future, picked by HIM and HIS regime. Its a ridiculous move and doesnt give ANY true shot to Losman.

But, at this point, your post is nothing more than a Look At Me Post. Too bad, I had some respect for you.

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Justifying what decision? Did he name Holcomb as the starter?

It's becoming obvious to me that there was never going to be a competition with JP ending up as the starter. Jauron could have just answered the question with "JP threw some nice deep balls today". When a coach of few words goes out of his way stressing the importance of the short ball than you know that there is more here.

The reps with the second string isn't good either. Kind of like seeing Posey's demise before it happened. No it wasn't announced but you knew it was coming.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:15 PM
It's becoming obvious to me that there was never going to be a competition with JP ending up as the starter. Jauron could have just answered the question with "JP threw some nice deep balls today". When a coach of few words goes out of his way stressing the importance of the short ball than you know that there is more here.

The reps with the second string isn't good either. Kind of like seeing Posey's demise before it happened. No it wasn't announced but you knew it was coming.
Dude, your 2 pre-season games too early.

Just wait and see. Its Losman, only a fool would pick Holcomb now.

HHURRICANE
08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Well I caught the comments about his long vs short game and making all the throws not just the deep passes; I knew this was coming but I just lost a TON of respect for you HH.
But, at this point, your post is nothing more than a Look At Me Post. Too bad, I had some respect for you.

I'm not desperate for attention just the truth. If I'm wrong you will be the first person that I apologize to.

I don't like when coaches tell me it's an open competition when one of the QB's is taking more reps with the second string.

Who do you think is starting this weekend?

Philagape
08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks, again.

Only if short passes are sufficient for first downs. What if it's 3rd and long? What if we're losing and need points in a hurry? And it doesn't matter if our defense can't do its part to stay off the field, which was a big problem last year.

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Dude, your 2 pre-season games too early.

Just wait and see. Its Losman, only a fool would pick Holcomb now.

I agree with this. The starter won't be named to atleast the 2nd pre-season game, if not the third.

Only a fool would name JP or KH the starter now.

ICE74129
08-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Actually JP doesn't have to heal the sick or make the blind see. All he's got to do is beat out the crappy Holcomb. That should be easy for a 1st round draft pick. Peyton Manning did it, Tim Couch did it, why can't JP do it?

No there will be no arguing about JP or Brady Quinn. If the Bills draft Quinn, it will be JP who? Cause it will be bye bye to the JP project. Maybe he can sell his house to Brady.

No what he needs is a LEGIT opportunity to beat out holcomb. I am 100% Certain if he got that he could. So far that hasn't been the case

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not desperate for attention just the truth. If I'm wrong you will be the first person that I apologize to.

I don't like when coaches tell me it's an open competition when one of the QB's is taking more reps with the second string.

Who do you think is starting this weekend?

Theres nothing here.

At best for Holcomb, they are giving him more reps because he was the starter at the end of last years mess, and he hasnt been OFFICIALLY replaced yet.

At worst for us, its real and Jauron believes Holcomb is a better game manager even after blowing a sure fire win against the Pats and throwing 4 ints vs the Jests.

Like I said, no one would be dumb enough to go with KH at this point, NO ONE!

If he does, I will throw up my hands and get excited about the Bills in April when they MIGHT fix there longest term problem!

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:29 PM

How did Carson Palmwr do against the lowly Kitna?

I suppose Palmer is a clown?

He turned out to be one of the leagues brightest QB's even after having his chain jerked by the coach.

jmb1099
08-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Look carefully at what jauron actually said: all passes need to be accurate. Ok so on one side the knock on holcomb is he can't throw the long ball which means jauron has taken notice of that, jp on the other hand needs to improve the short ball and he's got plenty of time to do it. Oh and jp threw 2 tds today, he also threw 2 or 3 the other day. He's developing a nose for the end zone as are the receivers. Unless he starts to suck it up, Jp will be the starter on opening day.

YardRat
I believe the regular season starter won't be named until just before the third preseason game, also. It'll be interesting watching how the two are handled in the first couple of practice games.

Philagape
I want Dick fired if he starts Holcomb. Here’s why.

The following is the Reality of Holcomb. (credit to Mr. Cynical for inventing the format)

-- His career rating is 79.9, which is that high only because of a 64.6 completion percentage, an inevitable result of his limited range. With that good of a percentage, it’s almost astounding that his career YPA is only 6.67. His yards per completion is 10.3; that’s about the same as Harrington and Boller (more on them below) and almost a full yard less than David Carr.

-- His career TD-to-turnover ratio is 37-48 (37 INTs and 11 fumbles).

-- In his career, he’s played 25 games where he’s gotten most or all of the snaps. His team’s record in those games is 7-18.

-- In 2002, the year of his playoff game, he appeared in just four games and started two. So he did not get them to the playoffs.

-- He tends to have one big game each year that skews his stats upward. He’s had five games over 300 yards, including the playoff game. Three of those games came in years in which he was not the primary starter.

What has this man ever done to deserve being a starting quarterback? Some say JP will end up like Harrington, Boller, etc. … well, Holcomb HAS ended up like them! Holcomb IS what JP haters think JP will be.

And at 33, Holcomb will never get any better. The best that can be said about him is he’s a “safe” caretaker, but his history shows he’s not even that.

Now the responses to this are: You can’t count his earliest games against him. Well, then you can’t for JP either. Or, he played for bad teams. So did JP.

So what good is JP if he’s not clearly better now? At least as much good as a 10-year veteran who isn’t clearly better than JP.

The difference? Holcomb has no upside. JP does.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:35 PM
I believe the regular season starter won't be named until just before the third preseason game, also. It'll be interesting watching how the two are handled in the first couple of practice games.

The only thing im worried about, no, flat out scared about is Losman showing his youth in these pre-season games. KH may LOOK more in control, but his production falls WAY short.

I just hope we show some balls, like we did with a CFL jock named Jim Kelly.

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
How did Carson Palmwr do against the lowly Kitna?

I suppose Palmer is a clown?

He turned out to be one of the leagues brightest QB's even after having his chain jerked by the coach.

Palmer was #1 draft pick overall, from a big time College school, Heisman Trophy winner and the plan was to let Palmer sit on the bench for a year and then play him. Big difference between Plamer and a QB that was considered a project when drafted.

I hate these asinine comparisons to Palmer, Kelly, Favre, Manning, Montana, Elway, Marino etc....

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Palmer was #1 draft pick overall, from a big time College school, Heisman Trophy winner and the plan was to let Palmer sit on the bench for a year and then play him. Big difference between Plamer and a QB that was considered a project when drafted.

I hate these asinine comparisons to Palmer, Kelly, Favre, Manning, Montana, Elway, Marino etc....
And
I hate the assinine comparisons to Wuerffel, Dorsey!

One side of your mouth spews crap about Losman not having Palmers potential, the other throws out any chance to be Tom Brady.

Get real man. But KH hasnt done **** for anyone including the Bills!!!!!

edited for TOS violations. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks.

Philagape
08-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Holcomb went to that QB factory Middle Tennessee State. And I forget where he placed in Heisman balloting.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Holcomb went to that QB factory Middle Tennessee State. And I forget where he placed in Heisman balloting.

im sure it was very forgetable!!!

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
And
I hate the assinine comparisons to Wuerffel, Dorsey!

Get real man, you wanna be KH's bed buddy, have at it. But KH hasnt done SH_T for anyone including the Bills!!!!!

JP is more Wurerfrel, Dorsey, Smith, Leaf, Johnson, Marinovich, Ware, Harrington like then he is the good/great QB other people like to use to compare him to.

I guess you missed that part when I said Holcomb is crappy/sucks. But he's better then JP. If any one has a bed buddy, wet-dreams about, man-crush, its the person who names himself after QB, right jp-Era?

How come Marinovich is out of football after only 2 years in the league when he put up better numbers then JP has? Shouldn't he be someone's franchise QB right now?

X-Era
08-07-2006, 09:54 PM
JP is more Wurerfrel, Dorsey, Smith, Leaf, Johnson, Marinovich, Ware, Harrington like then he is the good/great QB other people like to use to compare him to.

I guess you missed that part when I said Holcomb is crappy/sucks. But he's better then JP. If any one has a bed buddy, wet-dreams about, man-crush, its the person who names himself after QB, right jp-Era?

How come Marinovich is out of football after only 2 years in the league when he put up better numbers then JP has? Shouldn't he be someone's franchise QB right now?
Your so right, virtual Holcombs like Warner and Garcia do what now? By the way thats a favorable endorsement of a complete career backup!

Cant wait to see TD's version of utopia where we dink and dunk all day, go into the half up on the world champs by only 3 points and then lose!

Why settle for fresh, young, but trainable crap when you can have well seasoned, sure fire crap instead!

Must be you like the smell of those well cooked turd nuggets

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Must be you like the smell of those well cooked turd nuggets

Yeah, cause those back to back 75 yard games, 1 TD pass in first 4 games and that to a Tackle, or the 54 times out of 86 drives JP led the Bills to 6 plays or less, smelled so good.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, cause those back to back 75 yard games, 1 TD pass in first 4 games and that to a Tackle, or the 54 times out of 86 drives JP led the Bills to 6 plays or less, smelled so good.

And hence the difference between "fresh" turd nuggets and "well seasoned" turd nuggets, how about that 4 INT game against the Jets?

Lesson over.

TacklingDummy
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
, how about that 4 INT game against the Jets?

Everyone has a bad game, JP had 9 of them himself.

OH, you forgot to mention, Holcomb had the Bills in position to beat the Jets that game, even playing as poorly as he did. It's not his fault the Special Teams blew it. Using a Johnsonite excuse .

Lesson served.

X-Era
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Everyone has a bad game, JP had 9 of them himself.

OH, you forgot to mention, Holcomb had the Bills in position to beat the Jets that game, even playing as poorly as he did. It's not his fault the Special Teams blew it. Using a Johnsonite excuse .

Lesson served.

JP never threw more than 3 INT's, Holcomb never threw more than 2 TD's!!!!!!!!!!! Holocmb had 4 INT's, JP had 3 TD's.

Ones more likely to be a clown, ones more likely to be a stud.

Thanks, Your lesson has been served already, at this point your annoying your sensei.

Drive 4 Five
08-07-2006, 11:42 PM

:wtf:

You're prediciting that Holcomb is going to start based on that comment? To me he is simply trying to motivate his young QB by pointing out that he has to bring a complete game to the table in order to lead this team. So J.P. has to improve his short game. Well Kelly Holcomb needs to improve his deep game and I just don't see that happening.

Drive 4 Five
08-07-2006, 11:48 PM

My God man. You're acting as if Kelly already won. News flash buddy. Nothing has been decided yet.

Meathead
08-07-2006, 11:55 PM
listen i hope jp wins the job but if not its not at all the end of the world for jp. many of you guys are looking at this completely the wrong way

first of all, theres absolutely nothing wrong with giving holcomb the job if he is outperforming jp at this point in time. holcomb is a terrific caretaker qb with good leadership skills and field presence. no, hes not a star qb that you would like to have but he is more than good enough to help a solid team win more often than not. behind arguably the worst line in the league he still completed almost 70% of his passes. and dont give me the dink and dunk crap, thats a fantastic percentage regardless and absolutely can be part of a winning formula

starting holcomb now doesnt at all mean a switch cant or wont be made some time down the road. in fact, it is more than likely that holcomb will miss at least a couple games, most qbs do, and his lack of mobility and the suspect line most likely increases the chance he will get his bell run and on the bench for a while. when jp gets his shot he should be even better prepared and if he rocks he most certainly would get to keep the job

teams can absolutely win that way. again, its not the ideal you would want, but having someone like holcomb is actually a luxury in this situation. hell, chicago made the playoffs switching between three qbs last season - and not one of them was as good as holcomb is right now. if and when jp shows hes an even better option they will go with that. in the meantime, you get solid qb play with few mistakes. thats pretty damn cool if you stop and think about the worse qb play at least a third of the other teams are going to get

the only reason it looks hopeless to you guys if holcomb wins the job is because you cant see past your yearning desire to have nothing but a stud qb. yeah, i want that too, but at least half the teams in the league dont have a stud qb. even some of the playoff teams every year dont have a stud qb. you work with what you have and right now the bills have a terrific insurance policy in holcomb

as much as id like to see jp start the season, i can also see a large benefit to having holcomb the guy right off the bat. this is a team in major transition and a veteran presence behind center could pay enormous dividends later in the season if they can get off on the right foot. with the likelihood that jp will continue to progress and mature his football skills, he will get better and better as the season progresses. if the team can jump to even a 2-2 start to kick off the season, that could have an enormous impact on their confidence and have the whole team playing better by the time the inevitable scenario that puts jp in there. but if jp started off and struggled early, it could ruin both the team and jp for most of if not the remainder of the season

so stop with the sky is falling, jp is a bust crap. thats still way too premature to call at this point

relax. give it some time. and trust in the marv

shelby
08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
From Jauron's remarks that Skooby posted in another thread:
Re: Jauron: Jeff Posey was never looked into playing DE <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button --><!-- END TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button --><!-- End Post Thank You Hack --><!-- Start Post Groan Hack --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_groan_button --><!-- END TEMPLATE: post_groan_button --><!-- End Post Groan Hack -->

<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">On if they have given any thought on who might be the starting quarterback in the first preseason game Saturday:
No we haven’t in terms of group discussion. I have and we’ll start talking about it today and we’ll probably end up with some kind of idea today. And we’ll probably let you know Thursday or Friday I would guess. We just have to see where it goes and where the discussions go.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
On if there is an indication as to who will start:
No, it might just be seniority for this one… or reverse seniority.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

link (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3942)
i don't see Jauron committing to either QB in these comments.

TacklingDummy
08-08-2006, 12:15 AM
JP never threw more than 3 INT's, Holcomb never threw more than 2 TD's!!!!!!!!!!! Holocmb had 4 INT's, JP had 3 TD's.

Ones more likely to be a clown, ones more likely to be a stud.

Thanks, Your lesson has been served already, at this point your annoying your sensei.

Dude, you do not want to get into JP/KH comparison's.

Who had a 300 yard game?
Who's had 3 games with over 200 yards passing?
Who's never had?
Who didn't throw for less then 100 yards?
Who threw for less then 100 yards, not once but twice?
What were the PPG when each QB played?
How many more yards did McGahee ave. when he played with KH instead of JP.
Who had more TD passes?
What was the Bills record when each QB started?
Who had the better YPA?
Who had the better YPG?
Who had the longest TD reception?
How many more 1st downs did KH lead the Bills to then what JP did?
Who had more yards?
Who had more running TD?
Who had less sacks?
Who stopped Moulds Rec. Streak?
Who had better Comp. %?
Who had better Comp. % with passes over 20 yards?
Who had more then 1 Multiple TD games?
Who was the 15th ranked QB in the NFL?
Who was the 33rd?

Both are nothing to write home about. Both stink

Need another lesson?

Drive 4 Five
08-08-2006, 12:31 AM
listen i hope jp wins the job but if not its not at all the end of the world for jp. many of you guys are looking at this completely the wrong way

first of all, theres absolutely nothing wrong with giving holcomb the job if he is outperforming jp at this point in time. holcomb is a terrific caretaker qb with good leadership skills and field presence. no, hes not a star qb that you would like to have but he is more than good enough to help a solid team win more often than not. behind arguably the worst line in the league he still completed almost 70% of his passes. and dont give me the dink and dunk crap, thats a fantastic percentage regardless and absolutely can be part of a winning formula...

:bf1:

EXCELLENT POSTING MEATHEAD.

That is like the best post I have seen all offseason. Every zoner out there heed these words of wisdom. Although I do diagree with the notion that Holcomb is a terrific caretaker. He is pretty good but I wouldn't go so far as to call him terrific.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-08-2006, 02:10 AM
:wtf:

You're prediciting that Holcomb is going to start based on that comment? To me he is simply trying to motivate his young QB by pointing out that he has to bring a complete game to the table in order to lead this team. So J.P. has to improve his short game. Well Kelly Holcomb needs to improve his deep game and I just don't see that happening.

Good point, Drive4Five. And, an excellent post, Meathead!

If you are going to predict that Holcomb is going to start based on that comment, you could just as easily predict that JP is going to be the starter based on this comment that Jauron was quoted as making by Clark Judge that I posted in another thread on this subject:

"I'm not a big believer that you can win with a guy who just doesn't lose it for you," said Jauron, "because he has to make plays. He doesn't have to be Joe Montana or Tom Brady, but he does have to be pretty good."
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9588982

I agree with TD and jp-era that a decision will not be made before the Bills play at least two preseason games. Jauron has stated that he could name a starter sooner rather than later, even now, but that he doesn't want to. Why? Because he obviously doesn't think it is in the best interest of the guy who is going to be his starter for him to do so. Which means that he is going to wait as long as he possibly can before naming his starter.

By now, it should be quite obvious to everyone that Jauron is very deliberately playing "mind-games" here and that he is doing it for a reason. Rather than succumbing to these "mind-games" by hanging on every word and becoming either elated or depressed by every comment that the coaches make and by the results of every practice session in an attempt to ascertain who Jauron intends to choose as his starting QB, IMHO we would all be better served by stepping back and trying to figure out why Jauron is playing these "mind-games"--what is his purpose in playing them?--in the first place, rather than being sucked into them.

Given Holcomb's age and experience, especially in Cleveland, I find it difficult to believe that Holcomb is a guy who will fall prey to Jauron's "mind-games" at this stage of his life and career. Being a former player who has been where Holcomb is right now, I believe that Jauron knows this. Which indicates to me that these "mind-games" are directed at the two younger QBs, Nall and particularly Losman. Which, then, begs the question, why would Jauron bother playing "mind-games" with Losman if he has no interest or intention of trying to get Losman to improve his game to the point where he can demonstrate that he is capable of being the team's starting QB? There would be no reason to jerk the media and the team's fan base around the way that he has been jerking them around with these "mind-games" if the "mind-games" served no purpose. Which leads me to conclude that the whole purpose of this exercise--including the contradictory comments to the press--are designed to push Losman's buttons and motivate him to work his butt off to do the things that Jauron thinks that JP needs to do to improve his overall game to the point where he can demonstrate that he deserves to be the team's starting QB and, more importantly, QB of the future. The only beneficiary of these "mind-games" at this point is Losman and the only reason for Jauron to be playing them is because he feels that they will benefit JP.

As fans, IMHO we would be fools to allow ourselves to be sucked in by and fall victim to these "mind-games" because, regardless of who you want to see win the team's starting QB job, they will only drive us crazy--because that's what they are designed to do! Instead, we should appreciate that these are just "mind-games" and that there is a method to the madness and wait to see what the effects and results of that madness are by observing JP's performance during the rest of training camp and in the preseason to see if it results in an improvement in JP's play. The "mind-games" and the madness will end soon enough--when Jauron finally decides to name his starting QB. In the meantime, nothing that we do or say is going to change the situation and IMHO succumbing to Jauron's "mind-games"--as if they were directed at us--will only drive us crazier than we all already are!

Night Train
08-08-2006, 02:33 AM
How do Holcomb fans celebrate ?

By throwing a short/safe party and going home early ?

Earthquake Enyart
08-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Btw, was Miller a dink and dunk qb w/ a weak arm? If so, JP's in trouble.
Miller was not a dink and dunker. He did not have as good an arm as JP, but he had a stronger arm than Holcomb.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Good point, Drive4Five. And, an excellent post, Meathead!

If you are going to predict that Holcomb is going to start based on that comment, you could just as easily predict that JP is going to be the starter based on this comment that Jauron was quoted as making by Clark Judge that I posted in another thread on this subject:

"I'm not a big believer that you can win with a guy who just doesn't lose it for you," said Jauron, "because he has to make plays. He doesn't have to be Joe Montana or Tom Brady, but he does have to be pretty good."
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9588982

By now, it should be quite obvious to everyone that Jauron is very deliberately playing "mind-games" here and that he is doing it for a reason. Rather than succumbing to these "mind-games" by hanging on every word and becoming either elated or depressed by every comment that the coaches make and by the results of every practice session in an attempt to ascertain who Jauron intends to choose as his starting QB, IMHO we would all be better served by stepping back and trying to figure out why Jauron is playing these "mind-games"--what is his purpose in playing them?--in the first place, rather than being sucked into them.

Believe me when I say that I thought that Jaurons comments were just used to motivate Losman and toughen him as the starter. However, I have pretty much dismissed that idea. Jauron, like most of us, has a job. Nobody will criticize him for starting Holcomb, especially in the national media. It is a very safe move and he loses nothing for doing it.

Starting Losman takes more guts and has more of a downside if things don't go well. Coughlin wasn't worried about being fired and that's why I wanted him in Buffalo. I hope I'm wrong.

Meathead
08-08-2006, 12:18 PM
:bf1:

EXCELLENT POSTING MEATHEAD.

That is like the best post I have seen all offseason. Every zoner out there heed these words of wisdom. Although I do diagree with the notion that Holcomb is a terrific caretaker. He is pretty good but I wouldn't go so far as to call him terrific.
thank you

i just watch with amusement at people taking binary positions on this when its so unnecessary. im going to be happy regardless of who wins the job because i have confidence that the worst we can do is start out the season with holcomb, which is not a bad option at all. it might blow up after that, with injuries and god forbid jp falls on his face again. but at least we have the steady veteran to start out in hostile ne territory if we have to

i think ill just keep cutting and pasting that post and see if it ever sinks in lol