PDA

View Full Version : Nice read on how screwed we are.

Earthquake Enyart
08-08-2006, 07:24 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5853296

The NHL's salary arbitration period ended this past Sunday with Buffalo Sabres forward Adam Mair receiving a one-year, $675,000 contract.

Because Mair's award was for less than $1.4 million, under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement Sabres general manager Darcy Regier had to accept it.

Regier does, however, have a choice regarding forward J.P. Dumont's one-year, $2.9 million arbitration award.

Although Dumont received his award last week, because the Sabres still had another player (Mair) awaiting arbitration, the club has 48 hours from the date of Mair's award (Sunday) to accept or reject Dumont's award.

With the clock ticking, speculation is rampant as to what Regier will do.
Factoring in Dumont's award, the Sabres payroll presently sits at just over $41 million, which is considered already much higher than the team ownership is willing to pay.

shelby
08-08-2006, 08:08 AM
JP is a goner.
And we need to dump Marty if anyone will have him.

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
And that 41 million (Although I thought it was closer to 39) does not count Miller or Kalinin.

Trading Biron will save about 1.5 million. Trading/Dumping Dumont cuts another 3. Both will happen.

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2006, 11:08 AM
And that 41 million (Although I thought it was closer to 39) does not count Biron or Kalinin.

Trading Biron will save about 1.5 million. Trading/Dumping Dumont cuts another 3. Both will happen.

I know you mean Miller or Kalinin.

MTBillsFan
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
We can't let JP walk for free. He's too good offensively. Trade him out west and get some value in return!

bigbub2352
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
they will sign JP and then try and trade him or Biron, i dont think they will just let him walk, we will not get equal value either way but we will get something instead of nothing

carybillsfan
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Although Darcy has done a good job keeping the team together, a little foresight during the lockout by signing a few long-term deals last year would have saved them a bunch of money this offseason.

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I know you mean Miller or Kalinin.

oooppsssss.
I was testing the other posters and you passed. God job!!

JD
08-08-2006, 05:07 PM
We're not screwed. We'll be just fine!

SkateZilla
08-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Press Biotched and Moaned when we dumped Satan Too Remember? ad look what we did?

20+20=40 For 2.9 Mil is easily replaced by Pomminville

Meathead
08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
i know you meant good job

gannd
08-12-2006, 03:02 AM
You could be screwed or not. It all comes down to the market and if you can afford a NHL team. I read stuff that your average ticket price is $35 which is much lower than the average.

I don't know your city and I don't know your economy. I just cheer for the bills, which is why I'm at this site.

So what happens now, can your seasons tickets holders afford a jump to something like a average of $60 per ticket? They will have to if you want a NHL team. There is talk that the Bills may move, I call that crap but what do you do.

The NHL is now set up that for revenue sharing you have to increase revenue to be entitled to it. You ran with a 29 mill salary budget and did very well, fantastic actually but now the vicious circle of successful teams have to pay the players comes to a ugly head.

If you can't afford a 40 million salary then you have to do what you can to get to a point where you can afford it. The owners won't throw away cash. It's ugly and crappy but realistically if you want the owners not sell the team and have it move , that's what you get.

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 11:17 AM
i know you meant good job

No, I think he meant that.

:D

Dozerdog
08-12-2006, 11:20 AM
You could be screwed or not. It all comes down to the market and if you can afford a NHL team. I read stuff that your average ticket price is $35 which is much lower than the average.

I don't know your city and I don't know your economy. I just cheer for the bills, which is why I'm at this site.

So what happens now, can your seasons tickets holders afford a jump to something like a average of $60 per ticket? They will have to if you want a NHL team. There is talk that the Bills may move, I call that crap but what do you do.

The NHL is now set up that for revenue sharing you have to increase revenue to be entitled to it. You ran with a 29 mill salary budget and did very well, fantastic actually but now the vicious circle of successful teams have to pay the players comes to a ugly head.

If you can't afford a 40 million salary then you have to do what you can to get to a point where you can afford it. The owners won't throw away cash. It's ugly and crappy but realistically if you want the owners not sell the team and have it move , that's what you get.

Economy is slow in Buffalo- but as long as they have a decent product on the Ice, they sell plenty of tickets. The cap and playoff games will make this team profitable.

Typ0
08-12-2006, 12:03 PM

yeah, and at the end of the season Gallisano looked at the numbers and he realized what the playoff games meant to his revenues. I know I don't know squat about what goes on in his office...but I am willing to bet each game played in the playoffs adds a nice chunk of change to his bottom line. Because of that, this team might just be willing to spend up to the cap because it's clear the pieces are in place to make a run. All we need is for things to fall into place and adding a player or two wouldn't hurt either as long as it's the right player at the right price.

We are near the promise land. Other teams have gone downhill. If we can get the job done there is going to be a lot more revenues for this team in merchandising, television rights, advertising...yada yada. It might just be worth throwing a few million at a good product to put it over the edge in this case.

gannd
08-12-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah, and at the end of the season Gallisano looked at the numbers and he realized what the playoff games meant to his revenues. I know I don't know squat about what goes on in his office...but I am willing to bet each game played in the playoffs adds a nice chunk of change to his bottom line.
edmonton ownership announced that each playoff game generated the following profit. (remember this is each game)

first series 1.3 mill per game
second series 1.5 mill per game
third series 1.7 mill per game
scf 1.9 mill per game

But also the edm ticket prices were incredibly high and I think the average was at least $125 and the finals were like $175

JD
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah, and at the end of the season Gallisano looked at the numbers and he realized what the playoff games meant to his revenues. I know I don't know squat about what goes on in his office...but I am willing to bet each game played in the playoffs adds a nice chunk of change to his bottom line. Because of that, this team might just be willing to spend up to the cap because it's clear the pieces are in place to make a run. All we need is for things to fall into place and adding a player or two wouldn't hurt either as long as it's the right player at the right price.

We are near the promise land. Other teams have gone downhill. If we can get the job done there is going to be a lot more revenues for this team in merchandising, television rights, advertising...yada yada. It might just be worth throwing a few million at a good product to put it over the edge in this case.
Couldn't agree with you anymore.. :up: