PDA

View Full Version : NFL Personell Experts

jamze132
08-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Something to ponder:

Why didn't anyone draft Jason Peters? If they all know what the hell they are doing, why wasn't he drafted? I know he went to the combine as a TE. But wouldn't scouts out there look at how athletic he is and think to themselves, hmm, maybe this guy can play somewhere other than TE?

So no one in the NFL thought he was good enough to be drafted? Then why do people on this board and many others say that there was a reason why Nance wasn't drafted by anyone? Nance had a hell of a career playing with Big Ben in Miami (Ohio). Why wasn't he considered good enough for the NFL draft? Big Ben certainly endorsed him and pleaded with his FO to draft this guy? Why did they not even take him as an undrafted free agent? If my franchise QB was glowing about the possibility of hooking up with his favorite receiver in college, I think I might take a hard look at him.

OpIv37
08-08-2006, 08:06 AM
part of the problem with Peters was his low intelligence. The only thing he got on his Wonderlic test was drool, so I think a lot of teams doubted his ability to learn a new position, athleticism notwithstanding. In addition, with the exception of QB's, teams look for guys who are ready to play from Day 1. They don't want to screw around teaching guys new positions unless it's an absolute necessity.

And wasn't Peters in the same draft class as Big Ben ('04)? Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing that NFL FO's that have spent months on their draft boards don't rearrange them based on the opinion of some guy who's been in the NFL for exactly 23 hours.

Jan Reimers
08-08-2006, 08:11 AM
part of the problem with Peters was his low intelligence. The only thing he got on his Wonderlic test was drool
Great line, Op. I also think Peters might have been seen as a 'tweener, i.e., a guy who could maybe play a few positions, but none of them well.

Ickybaluky
08-08-2006, 08:42 AM
He didn't have any experience at OL, so he was a projection. That dropped him right away.

Give the kid a lot of credit, he must have worked very hard to learn to play OT. It is hard enough to come to the NFL with experience at a position, but to have to learn the techniques on top of the offense is hard to do. A lot of guys come to the NFL as projections, but few make the transition. That is why they drop in the draft.

Again, he deserves a ton of credit for making the transition, because it takes a lot more than just athletic ability. He is the definition of a player who made himself a position, earned it the hard way.

Jan Reimers
08-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Peters must have good football smarts - or instincts, if you will - despite lacking Wonderlic skills.

TigerJ
08-08-2006, 08:54 AM
That was a great line, Op. However, I'm wondering if Peters is smarter than he tested. Maybe the problem is he is poorly educated. I don't know if Arkansas has a reputation for it, but maybe it's one of those schools that just passes kids through for the sake of keeping their football team peopled withstud athlete and doesn't want to burden them with something like athletic accomplishment. When I've heard him being interviewed he actually sounded halfway articulate, unlike a certain running back out of Miami.

Tatonka
08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
The only thing he got on his Wonderlic test was drool.

that was ****ing hilarious.

:roflmao:

Tatonka
08-08-2006, 09:05 AM
the other thing is though.. peters was a major project.. and it worked.. but nance is not switching positions. nance didnt get drafted because he is slow and had a major injury and has had inconsistent hands at times.. nfl scouts dont draft that.

justasportsfan
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
The Broncos' 1st string rb on their depth chart going into yesterday is their undrafted rooike FA this year, MIke Bell. He beat out Tatum Bell at camp.

Like they say, drafting is not an exact science.

Historian
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Why was Brady passed over 5 times by every team?

Why was Andre Reed passed over 3 times by every team?

Why was Perry Tuttle taken #1?

I'll tell you why....because it's not an exact science. You do your homework, and you hope it works out. If they got it right 40% of the time, I would be happy.

OpIv37
08-08-2006, 09:20 AM
That was a great line, Op. However, I'm wondering if Peters is smarter than he tested. Maybe the problem is he is poorly educated. I don't know if Arkansas has a reputation for it, but maybe it's one of those schools that just passes kids through for the sake of keeping their football team peopled withstud athlete and doesn't want to burden them with something like athletic accomplishment. When I've heard him being interviewed he actually sounded halfway articulate, unlike a certain running back out of Miami.

well, Arkansas is not exactly known for it's education system. I don't know anything about the college itself, but education in that state generally ranks around 47th in the nation.

The King
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
The Broncos' 1st string rb on their depth chart going into yesterday is their undrafted rooike FA this year, MIke Bell. He beat out Tatum Bell at camp.

Like they say, drafting is not an exact science.

Mike Bell.... Thats screwed up.

Did Mike Anderson bang Tatum Bell and produce a moster back?

justasportsfan
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Mike Bell.... Thats screwed up.

Did Mike Anderson bang Tatum Bell and produce a moster back?
haha!

Unlike our qb situation Mike Bell outperformed everyone at camp by a mile.
But like Shanahan said though, it could change depending on preseason performance. He could be a Rob Johnson.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5815

jamze132
08-08-2006, 09:27 AM
And wasn't Peters in the same draft class as Big Ben ('04)? Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing that NFL FO's that have spent months on their draft boards don't rearrange them based on the opinion of some guy who's been in the NFL for exactly 23 hours.
What are you talking about? What does Peter's draft class have to do with Nance?

OpIv37
08-08-2006, 09:32 AM
What are you talking about? What does Peter's draft class have to do with Nance?

My bad- I misread it and thought you said Big Ben wanted Peters.

Patrick76777
08-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Why was Brady passed over 5 times by every team?

Why was Andre Reed passed over 3 times by every team?

Why was Perry Tuttle taken #1?

I'll tell you why....because it's not an exact science. You do your homework, and you hope it works out. If they got it right 40% of the time, I would be happy.

Exactly. Contrary to the belief of many, Football is not an exact science. Half the time, it’s a crap shoot.

Just when you think you have something figured out. You don’t.

Night Train
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
well, Arkansas is not exactly known for it's education system. I don't know anything about the college itself, but education in that state generally ranks around 47th in the nation.

There was a RB that played for the Chargers years back, Gary Anderson out of Arkansas. Turned out he couldn't read and the Chargers had to draw up all the plays for him.

He's probably teaching Powerpoint somewhere now. :duh:

jamze132
08-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree that the draft is a crapshoot. I have said that many times. But for someone to say that Nance is a nobody because he wasn't drafted is kind of ignorant. Peter's proves that point. This thread wasn't aimed at anyone other than "draft experts" and people that said Nance was garbage since he wasn't drafted.

Ickybaluky
08-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I agree that the draft is a crapshoot. I have said that many times. But for someone to say that Nance is a nobody because he wasn't drafted is kind of ignorant. Peter's proves that point. This thread wasn't aimed at anyone other than "draft experts" and people that said Nance was garbage since he wasn't drafted.

No, but it is fair to say he is a longshot, because very few undrafted FA go on to be NFL starters. A lot more do than don't, that is a fact.

Also, very few NFL WR have any impact at all in their first year, no matter where they are drafted.

OpIv37
08-08-2006, 10:12 AM

Peters doesn't prove anything about Nance. They're two completely different players. Peters proves it's possible for an undrafted FA to make it, but there are hundreds of undrafted FA's that never amount to anything to prove the exact opposite is far more likely.

You can't use the exception to prove the rule. Just because lightning struck once doesn't mean it's going to happen again.