ghz in pittsburgh
08-08-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9588982

and this

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9588996

Can't say I disagree with him

Saratoga Slim
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I think those are fair assessments. I'm fairly impressed.

Gunzlingr
08-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I too think those are fair assessments.

Earthquake Enyart
08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree with this:

Losman was anything but consistent last year, the only passer among the league's 34 rated quarterbacks to complete fewer than 50 percent of his attempts.

Tatonka
08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
this quote is pretty telling.. kind of contradicts what people were screaming about KH being the starter.

"I'm not a big believer that you can win with a guy who just doesn't lose it for you," said Jauron, "because he has to make plays. He doesn't have to be Joe Montana or Tom Brady, but he does have to be pretty good."

Meathead
08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
an excellent article

the only thing i disagree with, and disagree strongly, is that jp should have stayed in the lineup after going 1-3 and averaging less than 100 yds passing

say that again: averaging less than 100 yards passing

remember, this was a team predicted to have a very strong defense and contend for the division. we now know that the injuries and the weak coaching turned them into something far less than that, but we simply did not know that at the time

for me to support the team they needed to try to win at that point and potentially save the season. leaving jp in at that point essentially was raising the white flag and abandoning all hope of the post season. at 1-3 i would have been furious had they left him in there

there would be plenty of time to get jp back in the lineup later, but they needed to start giving wins a chance before they playoffs were completely a dead issue and that was just not going to happen with jp

sure, if we had a crystal ball the decision would be easy - let jp suck for the rest of the year cuz we wouldnt be in the party anyway. too bad we didnt have that crystal ball

Meathead
08-08-2006, 12:41 PM
this quote is pretty telling.. kind of contradicts what people were screaming about KH being the starter.

"I'm not a big believer that you can win with a guy who just doesn't lose it for you," said Jauron, "because he has to make plays. He doesn't have to be Joe Montana or Tom Brady, but he does have to be pretty good."
i dont follow you

are you saying holcomb does or does not fit that description?

i think jauron is saying that holcomb is more than a guy who just doesnt lose it for you, but not the potential star that jp is. he was talking about jps excellent performance on the long balls, but that alone just isnt enough. you need a guy who can make five or six short throws in a row to string together first downs because you cant rely on getting the big chunks consistently enough to keep your defense off the field

iow, if you have to choose between a fantastic long ball and a good short ball qb you have to go with the latter. right now jp isnt doing as well as holcomb in that matter so jp is going to have to improve his short ball to win the job

sorry if im stating the obvious but ive seen a lot of what i think is misinterpretation of this quote

Tatonka
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
i think it is clear that holcombe is a "just dont lose the game" qb.. a "game manager" not a game winner.. and jauron is saying that wont cut it.. at least that is the way i read it with my skewed view.

as far as last season.. while i didnt have a huge problem with jp getting benched early, the season was over half way through.. jp should have been put back in the lineup and left in there for teh remainder of the season.

Meathead
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
i think it is clear that holcombe is a "just dont lose the game" qb.. a "game manager" not a game winner.. and jauron is saying that wont cut it.. at least that is the way i read it with my skewed view.
wow interesting. i see it completely different but i guess you could be right. it will be fun to see which way it goes cuz it probably will be obvious once he names the starter

as far as last season.. while i didnt have a huge problem with jp getting benched early, the season was over half way through.. jp should have been put back in the lineup and left in there for teh remainder of the season.
oh yeah, absolutely

as much as i applauded mularkey for making the switch after four games, i am furious with him that he didnt start jp once the playoffs were out of the question. why the hell they didnt let jp play the last third of the season i have no frikken idea. i sure hope to hell it wasnt ralph saying he had to win games to keep his job because that was huge mistake to keep jp on the bench when he could have been getting invaluable reps in real games. one of the biggest coaching blunders in bills history, imo

HHURRICANE
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Great article with absolutely nothing to disagree about. This is why I get annoyed with the Holcomb fans. If Losman had played all 16 games last season you would have alot of data to prove one point or another.

Lee Evans gets it. Start and play one guy. If you start Holcomb you are getting what you always get. If you start Losman you have alot of upside based on his physical talents.

Matter-of-fact, I'll go one better. Losman only needs to start 8 games in a row to see what we got! Eight, uninterrupted starts in the NFL. If he blows in his 8th and final game, we pull him in favor of Nall or Holcomb and get ready for Brady Quinn. Holcomb fans why can't we AGREE that this would be the right way to go??!!

carybillsfan
08-08-2006, 01:31 PM
This statement is right on:
"If they choose Losman -- and I believe they should -- they struggle as he learns. If they choose Kelly Holcomb, they struggle, period. "

I'd be happy to watch a young qb develop into a man this year, but not watch a man play qb who has yet to develop and lacks arm strength.

Drive 4 Five
08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I could not agree more with this writer. But I really want to hear a troll's perspective.

Drew Blue Fan?

bflojohn
08-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I read both articles and Clark echoes everything being said by J.P. Losman backers. Start him and find out what you have as he matures. Personally, the offense being installed by Steve Fairchild suits J.P. to a tee and his versatility only heightens the obvious choice here,IMO!

Meathead
08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
consider the possibility that people were saying this about gannon or miller before they broke out. we could come up with a bunch of examples if we thought about it

not saying its going to happen but holcomb has had some great moments. sometimes guys start stringing them together later in their careers

i guess ill be keeping my fingers crossed either way

jamze132
08-09-2006, 03:58 AM
It's not going to hurt our playoff chances one little bit if Losman starts and finishes 16 games this year. It would make absolutley no sense to have JP holding clipboards after 8 starts. He was a first round draft pick who many other teams thought highly of, not just Buffalo. He hasn't been given a fair shake yet.

I know we have already beaten the living **** out of this dead horse, but people still don't get it.

What is not to get? If he plays the season and can't figure it out, we move on. Simply put, give the guy a chance.