PDA

View Full Version : Dumont is gone

Crisis
08-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Discuss

SABURZFAN
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
i guess they figured that $2.9 million was too much to fork out.however,if he did play a full season last season,he would have been on pace to be a 30 goal scorer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2543424

kgun12
08-08-2006, 02:25 PM
The Sabres had to draw a line somewhere, I guess JP was it?

WNYnut
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Had to expect this after they gave all those younger guys long term deals, and accepted Briere's contract........

Biron's 2.1mil isn't exactly helping the cause though.

bigbub2352
08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
i am disappointed dumont was good for us, they should have signed him, then tried to trade the rights of mair, kahlinin, biron, those guys are expandable in my opinion

SkateZilla
08-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank You NHLPA and Arbitration... For ****ing Our Team Over Big time....
25% Roll Back dont mean shiznit with 250-400% Raises!
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

kgun12
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
i am disappointed dumont was good for us, they should have signed him, then tried to trade the rights of mair, kahlinin, biron, those guys are expandable in my opinion

I agree.

MTBillsFan
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I just hope he ends up somewhere out west...Edmonton, San Jose etc... He was a good player.

pyrrhonist
08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
It's terrible that this had to happen, but after he got the award, many of us could see this coming. I guess, as someone said earlier, the line had to be drawn somewhere. It's just too bad that instead of Biron's $2.1 million being jettisoned (He should already be gone), it had to be a player who has produced. Damn.

You shall be missed, J.P. Thanks for the good times. :up:

SkateZilla
08-08-2006, 04:58 PM

if we had signed him there would have been no cap room for Miller or Kalinin,

so..

JP or Miller/Kalinin?,

which one is more important to you?

Biron is as good as traded :):candle:

SkateZilla
08-08-2006, 04:59 PM
It's terrible that this had to happen, but after he got the award, many of us could see this coming. I guess, as someone said earlier, the line had to be drawn somewhere. It's just too bad that instead of Biron's $2.1 million being jettisoned (He should already be gone), it had to be a player who has produced. Damn.

You shall be missed, J.P. Thanks for the good times. :up:

Lets Just Hope Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa Or Boston Doesnt Sign Him :)

or any eastern Conference team for taht matter

SabreEleven
08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Thank You NHLPA and Arbitration... For ****ing Our Team Over Big time....
25% Roll Back dont mean shiznit with 250-400% Raises!
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

You are blaming the wrong people....The NHLPA and Arbitration DID NOT give Mckee $4 Mil a year or these other outrageous contracts being handed out.

Ebenezer
08-08-2006, 05:35 PM
yup...the blame goes right back to the owners and GMs...they could have given out smaller contracts but in doing what they did they established the line.

SabreEleven
08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
yup...the blame goes right back to the owners and GMs...they could have given out smaller contracts but in doing what they did they established the line.

And that line is impossible for some teams. I bet we are looking at a lock out again in 3 to 4 years because the owners and GM's can't control/police themselves.

Makaveli
08-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I never was a Dumont fan from the start, now thats not saying he isnt a good player, cuz he is, and he's made some clutch performances for us but I still dont really care that we lost Dumont, just makes room for our other talent like Novotny or Paille!

Dozerdog
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
And that line is impossible for some teams. I bet we are looking at a lock out again in 3 to 4 years because the owners and GM's can't control/police themselves.Actually- with the cap- ******ed teams like the Bruins and Devils who grossly overpay for aging talent like Zhamnov and Mogilny no longer have the resources to keep their younger, better players.

They end up dealing guys like Samsanov to compete.

Dumont was wayyyyy overpriced, Like McKee.

Buh-Bye!!!

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Dumont's price WAS too high, but the REAL question for me is this.

I heard on GR that after Darcy told JP that we weren't going to give him what the arbitrator said, Darcy gave JP a contract offer. WTF?! I thought we couldn't do that. So what is the deal. I'm glad that I at least got an answer to why we HAD to keep Mair after his arbitration hearing.

Dozerdog
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Dumont's price WAS too high, but the REAL question for me is this.

I heard on GR that after Darcy told JP that we weren't going to give him what the arbitrator said, Darcy gave JP a contract offer. WTF?! I thought we couldn't do that. So what is the deal. I'm glad that I at least got an answer to why we HAD to keep Mair after his arbitration hearing.

If you accept the arbitration award (See Briere) Then you have to wait until January to offer an extended deal.

If you reject, the player is an UFA and anyone can negotiate - even the team that rejected arbritration.

Mair's arbitratrion award was under $1.4 million- by the terms of the player's agreement- teams can't reject any arbitration award under $1.4 million

chernobylwraiths
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
If you accept the arbitration award (See Briere) Then you have to wait until January to offer an extended deal.

If you reject, the player is an UFA and anyone can negotiate - even the team that rejected arbritration.

Mair's arbitratrion award was under $1.4 million- by the terms of the player's agreement- teams can't reject any arbitration award under $1.4 million

I knew the second part, but I thought that by rejecting the offer that you lost all negotiating rights. At least that is what I thought I heard.

Philagape
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
the line had to be drawn somewhere.

I just wish Tom would draw the line at the salary cap instead of well under

Philagape
08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
The good news is guys like Pominville and Roy should see more time

SkateZilla
08-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Annual Salary Cutbacks will be scheduled, every 6-10 years prolly and the % of salary cutback willbe determined by finacial state of teh NHL

Dr. Lecter
08-08-2006, 10:23 PM

They won't be that much under.

37 million + Miller (3 million ?) + Kalinin (1.5 million ?) + Novotony (.5 million - minimum) - Marty (2 million) + back-up (.5 million?) = 40.5 million.

PUCKER
08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
It sucks,but Im more glad we got Briere signed and now we need to get Miller locked up.

SabreEleven
08-09-2006, 12:29 AM

But I don't mind him drawing the line at way overpaying what they are worth. The market demands we over pay but the Sabres are refusing to WAY over and I'm ok with that.

SkateZilla
08-09-2006, 12:50 AM
But I don't mind him drawing the line at way overpaying what they are worth. The market demands we over pay but the Sabres are refusing to WAY over and I'm ok with that.

we are one of only 3 GMS trying to make money and not spend it :) :respect:

pyrrhonist
08-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Dumont was wayyyyy overpriced, Like McKee.

An apples & oranges comparison. McKee doesn't get the $4 million from St.Louis is Regier signs him to a more reasonable deal before the last season. But woulda, shoulda, and coulda don't make a team run, eh? :cool:

bigbub2352
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM
the dark horse in JP's departure will be Thomas Vanek, dont forget even though he had his troubles he still had 25 goals as a rookie, and will only improve, and again we have patrick kaleta, mark mancari, drew stafford, and chris thorburn ready to come up and that also includes danielle paille, and juri novotny

Dozerdog
08-09-2006, 09:48 PM
The smart teams want to leave a few million under the cap in case of injuries or trades.

You want to be 3-4 million under the cap- you never know when teams that are out of it want to have a salary dump of upcoming free agents. We could rent a player similar to how Carolina got Doug Weight or Edmonton got Samsanov and a couple of defensemen

SabreEleven
08-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Let's see a show hands...how people think JP is going to get $2.9 mil in free agency? I bet he bombs on another team.

Dr. Lecter
08-10-2006, 07:32 AM
He might not get 2.9 a year, but he will get a 3 year deal worth ~7 million I bet.

SkateZilla
08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
the dark horse in JP's departure will be Thomas Vanek, dont forget even though he had his troubles he still had 25 goals as a rookie, and will only improve, and again we have patrick kaleta, mark mancari, drew stafford, and chris thorburn ready to come up and that also includes danielle paille, and juri novotny

25 Goals and Spent Half the Season with Guastad and Peters or Not Dressed at all :), including everyg ame after teh 1st Round..:respect:

bigbub2352
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
It would be nice to see drew stafford with all i have heard about him is that he is a micheal peca clone but bigger, i will take that for sure

SkateZilla
08-10-2006, 11:31 AM
It would be nice to see drew stafford with all i have heard about him is that he is a micheal peca clone but bigger, i will take that for sure

the story with clones is its never as good as the real thing

bigbub2352
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
ok so clone is not a good word but what i have read the kid is real good def, and can score and is a good skater sounds alot like somebody we used to have

SkateZilla
08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
ok so clone is not a good word but what i have read the kid is real good def, and can score and is a good skater sounds alot like somebody we used to have

I dont Think He's Pure Bred,... I think hes a Grier Peca Mix :).. w00f w00f :) :respect:

SabreEleven
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
He's been a free agent for about 3 or 4 days now. He must have at least 5 or 6 teams offering him 2.9 mil a year by now. Decisions, Decisions :rolleyes:

pyrrhonist
08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm at work right now, so searching far & wide on the web to find the CBA rules isn't within my scope (Although posting is :D ), but can Darcy negotiate with Dumont now that they've walked away from his award? TSN seems to think so:

Unrestricted free agent forward J.P. Dumont is looking for a contract length of three-years in the $9 to $10-million range but it is believed he will settle for around $2-million per season. Sources indicate the Buffalo Sabres are one of the interested teams. Earlier this month the Sabres used their walk-away option to escape an arbitration ruling awarding Dumont a one-year, $2.9-million contract.

:huh:

Earthquake Enyart
08-11-2006, 04:58 PM
The Blackhawks will jump in and overpay.

Dozerdog
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
The Blackhawks will jump in and overpay.They just got hit with the exact same judgement for Kyle Calder- and wound up dealing him away to Philly for Michael Handzus - saving $800,000

Why would they want a 3 million dollar forward with the exact stats the guy they just dealt?

Earthquake Enyart
08-11-2006, 05:12 PM
They just got hit with the exact same judgement for Keith Calder- and wound up dealing him away to Philly for Michael Handzus - saving $800,000

Why would they want a 3 million dollar forward with the exact stats the guy they just dealt?
Because they have no one who can score a goal.

Dozerdog
08-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I bet he signes a 1 year deal with Buffalo and tries again next season

Earthquake Enyart
08-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Nah.

He'll take a 2 year 4.5 mil contract and never be heard from ever again.

SkateZilla
08-12-2006, 07:39 AM
He Could Sign For Less With ANy other Team Now, But we have to Pay $2.9 Mill

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5865802

The recent decisions by the Buffalo Sabres and Boston Bruins to walk away from the arbitration awards of J.P. Dumont and David Tanabe respectively have not only made the two players unrestricted free agents, but has also set the rumor mill buzzing as to where they may eventually sign.

Most of the speculation has been thus far focussed on Dumont, who proved to be a reliable 20-goal, 45- to 50-point right winger during his years in Buffalo. His 40 points in 54 games last season suggest he may be capable of more in the "new" NHL.

Recent reports indicate at least five NHL teams have contacted Dumont's agent, with the Detroit Red Wings and Los Angeles Kings believed heading the list.

The Wings have been searching for a reliable 20-goal winger since Brendan Shanahan signed with the Rangers last month as a free agent.

While Dumont's agent will likely try to get his client a contract worth close to the one-year, $2.9 million arbitration award, he could be willing to accept something in the $2 million range.

Dr. Lecter
08-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Can't the Sabres sign him for 2 millions per now?

chernobylwraiths
08-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Can't the Sabres sign him for 2 millions per now?

That's what I thought. He is unrestricted, he can sign with the Sabres for less now if he wants.

Aren't you supposed to be dishing out ice cream?

SabreEleven
08-12-2006, 09:18 AM
UFA means he can sign anywhere for any amount, including Buffalo.

pyrrhonist
08-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Isn't it hypocritical for the mod who combines like threads together to start a new thread about J.P.'s ruling, which is already being discussed in another thread? ;) :beers:

SkateZilla
08-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Isn't it hypocritical for the mod who combines like threads together to start a new thread about J.P.'s ruling, which is already being discussed in another thread? ;) :beers:
yeah, the irony is im am mergign it ... i just pointed out that he's planning on signign for less if need be...

Dozerdog
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
He Could Sign For Less With ANy other Team Now, But we have to Pay $2.9 Mill

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5865802

No we don't. He's free to sign with anyone- including the Sabres, for any price.

SkateZilla
08-13-2006, 08:12 PM
No we don't. He's free to sign with anyone- including the Sabres, for any price.

Honestly if they Re-Sign Him for less people will love Darcy for a while, if they dont sign him, prepare for the hatred .. :respect:

chernobylwraiths
08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Honestly if they Re-Sign Him for less people will love Darcy for a while, if they dont sign him, prepare for the hatred .. :respect:

I think the love or hatred for Darcy is already there regardless of what happens to Dumont.

JD
08-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I love um nonetheless :love:

pyrrhonist
08-14-2006, 01:33 AM
I think the love or hatred for Darcy is already there regardless of what happens to Dumont.

While my hate has dissipated some from last offseason, it intensified when the fallout from his foolish 1-year signings last year hit. First McKee, then Briere, now Dumont. And that's not counting Miller, who has yet to sign.....

chernobylwraiths
08-14-2006, 04:31 AM
While my hate has dissipated some from last offseason, it intensified when the fallout from his foolish 1-year signings last year hit. First McKee, then Briere, now Dumont. And that's not counting Miller, who has yet to sign.....

If he fails to sign Miller or decided that he will be too expensive to keep and does the unthinkable, trades him, I'm sure the lyncmob will be out in full force.

For the record, I don't think Darcy's that stupid, but a lot depends on Miller too.

Dr. Lecter
08-14-2006, 07:14 AM

Many players (McKee excluded) only wanted one year deals due to the new CBA. Darcy can't force them to sign longer deals.

SkateZilla
08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
If he fails to sign Miller or decided that he will be too expensive to keep and does the unthinkable, trades him, I'm sure the lyncmob will be out in full force.

For the record, I don't think Darcy's that stupid, but a lot depends on Miller too.

miller is our Ovechkin:respect:

bigbub2352
08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Trade Biron even if it is for a prospect(better be DEF) and that frees up more than enought to sign the rest and JP go and sign a journey man goalie to back up Miller

pyrrhonist
08-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Except he can't score, and isn't as flashy. So basically, he's nowhere near the same player as Ovechkin. :D

SabreEleven
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM

For Miller to be our Ovechkin, Miller will have to be better than Hasek which is...

1) Almost impossible but doable.

2) Gonna take 3 to 4 years to judge.

3) Ovechkin is making more of an impact than Miller is right now.

SpillerThrills
08-14-2006, 06:18 PM
and isn't as flashy.

he can be very flashy, as long as the shot isn't from the point cause then it's most likely gonna find the back of the net.... but if it's in the slot then look in his glove for the puck cause it's propably gonna end up there:respect:

hammerbillsfan
08-23-2006, 07:50 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175107&hubname

Free-agent winger J.P. Dumont has narrowed his list of suitors down to three or four teams and it doesn't include the Montreal Canadiens.

Some fans and media in Montreal have been pressing the Canadiens to make a move on Dumont, a 28-year-old Montreal native, but that hasn't happened.

"We've never had an offer from Montreal," his agent Yves Archambault said Wednesday. "I've spoken to several teams. At this point we're really looking at 3-4 teams."

The Detroit Red Wings are believed to be among the teams interested in Dumont, who became an unrestricted free agent earlier this month when the Buffalo Sabres exercised their walk-away rights after he was awarded a $2.9-million US, one-year deal in arbitration.

pyrrhonist
08-23-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm shocked the Habs didn't make a play for him. :huh:

At this point, I'd figure the Wings are the front-runners to land J.P. Hell, they're going to need the winger help!