PDA

View Full Version : How much experience do you need to excel in practice?

LtBillsFan66
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
huh?

Night Train
08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Well...

We now know A. Iverson is billsfanone.

justasportsfan
08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Aparently you have to be a former starter like Posey.

LtBillsFan66
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
What I'm asking is does a QB need a lot of NFL experience to look better than a "career backup" in practice?

Philagape
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
What I'm asking is does a QB need a lot of NFL experience to look better than a "career backup" in practice?

I guess 10 years isn't enough for a career backup to look better than a still-learning inconsistent kid.

Night Train
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
If there was a practice HOF, Drew Bledsoe and Rob Johnson would be first ballot. They looked great in camp... Then came the live bullets.

Sink or swim, Losman needs to start. If he throws safely to the TE and RB, he'll be the only QB who can hit the bomb he's setting up, which can be the difference in a win.

LtBillsFan66
08-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I KNOW sucky QBs can look good in practice, but never have I heard of a good QB looking sucky in practice.

MadForPlaid
08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to add my avatar, but I cannot find the option to do so in the profile.

Please help!

eeyyeeddoogg
08-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Sink or swim, Losman needs to start. If he throws safely to the TE and RB, he'll be the only QB who can hit the bomb he's setting up, which can be the difference in a win.[/quote]

Stop. Way to much for the Holcomb's to comprehend.

HHURRICANE
08-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to add my avatar, but I cannot find the option to do so in the profile.

Please help!

Got to buy it!!

jamze132
08-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Indianapolis lost every preseason game last year. They seemed to do alright when it counted.

ICE74129
08-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I guess 10 years isn't enough for a career backup to look better than a still-learning inconsistent kid.

And that folks is the REAL issue. Losman is exactly where he should be at his age in the game considering what went on last year. What is holcombs excuse?

YardRat
08-09-2006, 06:41 AM
You absolutely have to hit the short passes to help set up the deep ball and compliment the running game.

It's a given that Losman has the better arm and throws a better long pass, but until he improves on his short to medium game the bombs are useless because they just won't be there.

Risin
08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
After last night, I'd say the answer is more then 10 years for Holcomb.

ICE74129
08-09-2006, 07:55 AM
You absolutely have to hit the short passes to help set up the deep ball and compliment the running game.

It's a given that Losman has the better arm and throws a better long pass, but until he improves on his short to medium game the bombs are useless because they just won't be there.

He has improved. There are just some that expect him to be PERFECT at it and thats immpossible. Brady, Manning I etc aren't perfect at it...even in camp. But then again they are playing for smart WINNING HC's. This is why we don't hear about it in the press. If DJ was a little more on the ball we wouldn't hear about it from him either.

Night Train
08-09-2006, 09:19 AM
After last night, I'd say the answer is more then 10 years for Holcomb.

:rofl: He looked pathetic the 2 times I was at camp. I guess some posters here are members of the Lions Club and like the feel of his handshake.

ICE74129
08-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I KNOW sucky QBs can look good in practice, but never have I heard of a good QB looking sucky in practice.

Then I have to say you don't know football that well. Sorry, you just dont. They ALL look like total crap at some point in practice. Thats just the way it is.

LtBillsFan66
08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Then I have to say you don't know football that well. Sorry, you just dont. They ALL look like total crap at some point in practice. Thats just the way it is.
That don't know football BS won't work with me. You don't know me.

ICE74129
08-09-2006, 09:46 AM
That don't know football BS won't work with me. You don't know me.

Sure I do. I know all I ever need to by that last comment you made. If you think for a second that great qb's still don't have horrible practices, you don't know football. Sorry man thats just fact.

And I have to say for not only the boards sake but in general, I'm not replying to your posts any further. You are a JP hater that is intentionally looking for every excuse in the world to rip on the guy and I don't have time to read that crap any longer.

LtBillsFan66
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Sure I do. I know all I ever need to by that last comment you made. If you think for a second that great qb's still don't have horrible practices, you don't know football. Sorry man thats just fact.

And I have to say for not only the boards sake but in general, I'm not replying to your posts any further. You are a JP hater that is intentionally looking for every excuse in the world to rip on the guy and I don't have time to read that crap any longer.
I'm sure every great QB has had bad practices every now and then. But they'd be able to clearly beat out a "career backup."

BillsATL
08-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YardRat

The same can be said the other way. You have to have the threat of the long ball in order to open up the short passing game and the running game. If they know Holcomb can't put it deep, they can stack the box and take the short game away too.

TedMock
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Chris Mortenson, last night, said of the 7 camps he's visited, Chris Simms has been the most impressive QB he's seen. Said he can't believe how good this kid looks, and that the switch seems to have turned on. He also said that he does not carry a notebook, recorder, or camera with him on these trips because he wants honest quotes from the vets. All are saying this kid has drastically improved, and is the real deal. The kid rides the bench his rookie year, is handed the keys in year two and plays 5 games before he's injured. In those 5 games he looks like crap; 1 TD, 3 INT's, and a 64 rating. Griese comes in, and finishes the year solid. Griese keeps the starting job in 2005 for the first 6 games. Griese gets injured, in comes Simms, and slowly improves. He doesn't have stellar stats, but the game starts coming to him. Now, in his 4th year, he's starting to "get it." The players, coaches, and Chris Mortenson think he's going to be very good this year, and a stud in the years coming. Take it for what it's worth. A young QB who by all accounts has shown a drastic turn-around in year 4. Sometimes it just takes time on the field.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Honestly you shouldn't say anything about either quarterback until you have been to camp to see them billsfanone. You haven't been there to see how awful Holcomb looked two out of the five times I have gone. He was really really bad. Jp hasn't been amazing by any stretch, but he certainly has not looked as bad as Holcomb did in those practices. Holcomb had one good practice out of the ones I have seen, and for a player with 10 years experience that is just no acceptable. JP needs more time on the field to show what hes got, and I just do not see how anyone can disagree with that.

LtBillsFan66
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Honestly you shouldn't say anything about either quarterback until you have been to camp to see them billsfanone. You haven't been there to see how awful Holcomb looked two out of the five times I have gone. He was really really bad. Jp hasn't been amazing by any stretch, but he certainly has not looked as bad as Holcomb did in those practices. Holcomb had one good practice out of the ones I have seen, and for a player with 10 years experience that is just no acceptable. JP needs more time on the field to show what hes got, and I just do not see how anyone can disagree with that.
Ok, I trust your opinion. Do you think the coaches see that too?

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 10:23 AM
I honestly do think they see that. I don't know how they couldn't see it when everyone else that has been to camp does. We all want this team to win so if Holcomb looks good then he should start, but he has just looked so bad a couple times that I can't believe the coaching staff can be confident in naming him the starter. The lack of zip on his ball is remarkable to me. I don't know how this guy ever won a game in the NFL. That pass last night to Price pretty much sums up Kelly Holcomb ability.

LtBillsFan66
08-09-2006, 10:28 AM
I honestly do think they see that. I don't know how they couldn't see it when everyone else that has been to camp does. We all want this team to win so if Holcomb looks good then he should start, but he has just looked so bad a couple times that I can't believe the coaching staff can be confident in naming him the starter. The lack of zip on his ball is remarkable to me. I don't know how this guy ever won a game in the NFL. That pass last night to Price pretty much sums up Kelly Holcomb ability.
That sounds reasonable to me.