PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Night Camp Report.........

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-08-2006, 11:48 PM
QB's: Holcomb threw three picks that were all just awful throws. He overthrew the recievers and they landed right in the defenders hands. He had a couple nice passes, but he looked terrible. He was holding the ball a lot longer than usual also and would have been sacked at least once. Jp wasn't much more impressive than Holcomb, but at least he didn't turn the ball over. He did have a real nice deep throw during the two minute drill, but didn't have a chance to finish the drive due to time. He was off target most of the night. Both QB's left a lot to be desired for me. On the bright side JP did split snaps with the first team this time and I think he may have even started with them first.

HB's: Same old story here all looked good again. Willis is chisled. The guy is in outstanding shape, and I think the closer the season gets he is what I am most excited for.

WR's: All looked good again. Price is having a great camp as is Parrish. Parrish was awesome on punt returns as well. He had one that may have gone back for a TD. Andre Davis is quietly having a good camp so far. He catches everything they throw at him. I really can't find anything bad about any of the recivers at this point.

TE's: Royal again looked good while Everett wasn't used much again.

OL: Gandy was wearing number 60 tonight for some reason, but I think he needs to worry more about his poor blocking than what number he is wearing because he has not impressed thus far. I think everyone else has been at least average with the exception being Peters who will be a pro bowler some day in my opinion. Aaron Gibson looked good and he moves really well for how big he is. I saw him pull to the left on one play and open a nice hole for Lionel Gates. Other than Gibson I am really starting to worry about our depth at this position. When the 1st team goes out it is constant pressure on the QB's, and it has been this way all five practices I have been to.

DL: Very interesting to see Kyle Williams getting snaps with the first team defense tonight. Says a lot about him and about Tim Anderson. I think we are really going to like this draft we had by next season. Schobel looked good off the edge. Our backup DL is owning our backup OL hands down.

LB's: Angelo Crowell is at the ball 99% of the time when the whistle blows, and I am getting very excited to watch him progress this year. He could be our new Spikes if you want to call it that within a year. The guy is lightning quick. Spikes was running with the second team defense in the 11 on 11 full contact drills tonight whatever that means. Ellison has looked pretty good so far. Liam Ezekiel looked good tonight. Stamer had some nice plays, and Courtney Watson is going to provide some nice depth for us.

DB's: I feel confident enough in Terrence McGee to say that he is now our best corner. He knocks balls down non stop. Clements did have one great play where he was beat deep, and he showed great recovery speed while the ball was in the air and jumped up to block it when he saw Andre Davis go for it. It may have been flagged for interference, but I thought it was good timing. Ko Simpson continues to impress as he is always around the ball. Youboty is back in action with the third team and looks pretty good out there. Eric Bassey picked Holcomb off once. Jabari Greer had a nice play that I can't remember what happened, but I remember thinking to myself that was a nice play again by Greer. I believe Rashad Baker picked Holcomb off once also as did Matt Bowen. Troy Vincent saw a lot of time at nickel corner with Baker as the safety. Not much to say about Donte Whitner so far except that on one blitz I was watching him closely on he flew up the middle and may have had a chance to knock the ball out of JP's hand as it was throw if it had been live action. He is very fast that is for sure, but other than that I don't have much to report.

P: Brian Moorman isn't human. That guy was bombing kicks from between the 10 and 20 down to the other 17 yard line area. Unreal.

Overall: Very disappointed with the QB play save a couple nice throws here and there. JP at least has the inexperience excuse, but there is no excuse for how bad Holcomb was. Our D is going to be nasty again I can just feel the energy of this defense like I could two years ago. They have that same hunger. Crowell could be one of the surprises around the league if he continues to play like this. Spikes did look good coming on the blitz. Until I see something different I think we may be looking at another year of inconsistency from our offense.

Things to be excited about: First and foremost Willis looks sick so far. Parrish could have some really exciting plays. And Perhaps the thing that I am most excited about is the draft class that Marv picked. These guys have all looked good. Even Ellison has impressed me. It is going to be hard for the coaching staff to let Ko Simpson sit on the bench I think. Hope you enjoyed the report. If you have any questions about anyone feel free to ask.

BADTHINGSMAN
08-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Great report.. :bf1:

YardRat
08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the insight, BBS.

The comments about the lines concern me more than the QB issue. The starters neeed to be better than average as a unit on offense, and quality depth is a must. Hopefully they can stay relatively injury-free this season.

As for the d-line I'll have to wait to see them play to discern whether Williams playing with the first team is more a credit to his abilities or an indication of the talent-level of the others on the front four. I hope it's the former and not the latter.

theanswer74
08-09-2006, 12:06 AM
How about this, never pass??

Run Willis, Gates, and Thomas all day. Play great defense and special teams. I think we might be better off never passing.

Man, Im getting sick of people talking about Holcombs arm but damn, that BuffaloBills.com highlight video from tonights practice did not help stop it. Price had 2 or 3 steps on Nate Clements and Holcomb under threw him deep. You could tell Price was upset. Then there were 3 or 4 other deep passes and they were either picked or short.

Either the video guy at BB.com is a Losman fan or Holcomb really is that bad.

Im a Nall Ball supporter.

tampabay25690
08-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Awesome report US out of town Bills fans appreciate everthing you guys say when you go to camp....

tampabay25690
08-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Awesome report US out of town Bills fans appreciate everthing you guys say when you go to camp....

LifetimeBillsFan
08-09-2006, 02:55 AM

I'll second that. Thanks!!! Reports like this one are invaluable for us.

jamze132
08-09-2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I like reports from guys who actually live in the Western New York area. Thanks.

DraftBoy
08-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Good to hear about the WR and LB, Im still interested to see the QB comp once Nall gets back. Should be any day now I hope.

shelby
08-09-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the update!

TacklingDummy
08-09-2006, 04:26 AM
3 years of practice and still using a "inexperience excuse".

Its a new offense for both JP and Holcomb, wouldn't they both be inexperienced in it?

Night Train
08-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the solid observations !

ICE74129
08-09-2006, 06:29 AM
3 years of practice and still using a "inexperience excuse".

Its a new offense for both JP and Holcomb, wouldn't they both be inexperienced in it?

No.

Meathead
08-09-2006, 06:30 AM
lets remember the oline has at least two new starters and mostly all new backups. it takes time for that unit to gel and its not unusual for them to struggle in camp and pull it together early in the season. also recall these are hand picked units by mcnally so at least hes got his guys to work with. something to hope for anyway

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
You would think a vet like Holcomb would be a little better prepared at this point in his career to not look that bad in camp whether it's a new offense or not. JP played 8 games man that is not experience. Practice experience is not the same as game experience. I will now wait for your smart ass reply.

Philagape
08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I will now wait for your smart ass reply.

Why?

eyedog
08-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Good report, thanks. a hell of a lot more info than you get from WGR.

Michael82
08-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Excellent report! :bf1:

BTW, Mike Gandy changed his number before Saturday's practice. I just forgot to mention it. We now have 3 60's on the team. Two on the OL and one other one.

TigerJ
08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
If Gandy is really struggling, I wonder how close Butler is to being ready to play. I've heard earlier reports that he is doing well, that he is especially good at using his hands. I know he played RT at Virginia, opposiste D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but I don't think he is too unathletic to handle LT once he acclimates to the pro game. The of course there is the option of switching Peters to LT.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Peters needs to be the LT soon because he will be so good for our line, and he will be in the pro bowl before you know it.

Jan Reimers
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Great report, BBS.

TacklingDummy
08-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Practice experience is not the same as game experience. .

No one was talking about game experience but you. We were talking about practice experience. JP should look just as good if not better then Holcomb in practice. Since JP is the one with all the talent.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
:yawn: Yep you are always right.......

ShadowHawk7
08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I think its possible that Perry Fewell believes that Rashad Baker/Ko Simpson is currently more valuble on the field than is Greer or King, which is why, in nickle situations, Vincent may move up to cover the slot with Rashad or Ko taking up the FS spot. Needless to say, that's an interesting idea.