X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • !Papacrunk!
    • Mar 2004

Need a DT?

PEMBROKE PINES — Dolphins defensive tackle Manny Wright said Wednesday that he is struggling with depression and has asked coach Nick Saban to trade or waive him so he can make a fresh start with another NFL team.

Asked if he plans to play for the Dolphins again, Wright said: "I don't think so."

Wright has not attended practice since Friday and Saban has only said that Wright is absent because of "personal issues."

"It's my choice. Like I told coach Saban, I don't want to cause any problems for the team," Wright said outside the home of his cousins, where he was visiting. "I didn't want to give him any bad press, so I have just kept to myself. They have a real good team and I think they're going to do great things this year.

"But me, personally, I just need a fresh start."
    Coach Saban has done a good job of setting people up for me to talk to," Wright said. "He understands me. It's just the business part that gets tough. I don't think he's going to cut me, because then I can go somewhere else."
    Wright said the medication has helped him, "but it makes me tired."
    Wright has struggled during this year's camp. He gained 20 pounds in the off-season, then worked during the summer to shed the weight.
    "I worked hard to get back into shape," Wright said. "I want to play. But here, they already know who they want to start and who they want to back up."
    He said his medication contributed to his fatigue so he stopped taking it and last week asked Saban for some time off.
    "Coach Saban told me, 'If you need to take some time off, take some time off,' " Wright said.
    So after missing last Wednesday's practice with the coach's approval, Wright returned to workouts Thursday but was bumped down to third-team on the depth chart.
    "That led me into depression again, because I just kept thinking how I didn't want to sit on the bench again all year," Wright said.
    MANNY WRIGHT **edited, I was a bit harsh with my previous comment here***

I guess Saban is a big meanie, y'know pushing players to their limits and expecting 200%. I've been depressed a lot before, and the guy is just a kid at 22, but c'mon. What team will pick him up? The sad thing is the guy has so much potential and talent. He was even making a huge effort in the offseason to improve and lose the excess weight, and really hitting the weights. See ya later dood!
    Last edited by !Papacrunk!; 08-10-2006, 06:21 AM.
  • feelthepain
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Need a DT?

Originally posted by !Papacrunk!
    MANNY WRIGHT, 22 old Diaper Wearer

I guess Saban is a big meanie, y'know pushing players to their limits and expecting 200%. I've been depressed a lot before, and the guy is just a kid at 22, but c'mon. What team will pick him up? The sad thing is the guy has so much potential and talent. He was even making a huge effort in the offseason to improve and lose the excess weight, and really hitting the weights. See ya later dood!
    Give Manny props here, he's not blaming anyone but himself.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

I bet he can call his old teammate Ricky for a fix me up.

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

Was that the kid that was crying his eyes out after getting yelled at last year?
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

We do need a DT but Marv's not a big fan of problem children.

Honestly, I'd like to think that our DT situation isn't so bad that we would have to stoop to this, but it may be...
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
            • Feb 2005

I feel sorry for the kid. I hope he can get his life together. We keep forgetting that even tho these are HUGE people, they are still pretty young and in a pretty highpressure situation.

Hope he can get back in the game.
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
              • Aug 2005

Yeah I also feel bad for him it at least seems like he knows it isn't anybody elses fault which is more than you can usually say. As for our DT situation no OP it has not looked bad at all in camp so we do not need to worry about stooping to any low levels right now.
              SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

Training camp is not good therapy for someone who needs the kind of help Manny apparently needs. I think he needs to take a year off to get his head straight. Then if he wants to try again next year somewhere, I'll wish him well.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

being a little depressed and clinical depression is like having the sniffles or infectious pneumonia

but strenuous exercise is supposed to be just about the best thing you can do for clinical depression so if hes still having debilitating symptoms he should probably consider some serious counselling cuz it probably isnt going to get better if he stops the meds
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

i bet he wants to go to the west coast.
                    Originally posted by yordad
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Sounds like Wright's tried to get healthy, and Saban's done what he can to try to help...maybe Saban should try to dangle him out there for some kind of draft pick, or just cut him outright.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• !Papacrunk!
                        • Mar 2004

I guess it's been rough for him since last year's incident and especially the way the press took that story and ran fwith it. I guess him being 22 and being thrust into the NFL was too much for him. Maybe San Fran could offer something, get him back out west.

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

Miami sure has there toubles. One of ther big FA signings (Will Poole) they are about to do an injury settlement with. Seth Mckinney, one of there best OLmen, could be out for the year and now Wright...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            We do need a DT but Marv's not a big fan of problem children.

Honestly, I'd like to think that our DT situation isn't so bad that we would have to stoop to this, but it may be...
                            NO.

From everything I read about camp, Triplett, McCargo and Williams are all playing well, and Anderson is a blue collar guy who just might get better.

And none of them needs a shrink.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• carybillsfan
                              • Aug 2003

This is why I say never take a guy in the supplemental draft! They never pan out, any guy taking short cuts in College is going to take shortcuts in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X