PDA

View Full Version : Need a DT?

!Papacrunk!
08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
PEMBROKE PINES — Dolphins defensive tackle Manny Wright said Wednesday that he is struggling with depression and has asked coach Nick Saban to trade or waive him so he can make a fresh start with another NFL team.

Asked if he plans to play for the Dolphins again, Wright said: "I don't think so."

Wright has not attended practice since Friday and Saban has only said that Wright is absent because of "personal issues."

"It's my choice. Like I told coach Saban, I don't want to cause any problems for the team," Wright said outside the home of his cousins, where he was visiting. "I didn't want to give him any bad press, so I have just kept to myself. They have a real good team and I think they're going to do great things this year.

"But me, personally, I just need a fresh start."

Coach Saban has done a good job of setting people up for me to talk to," Wright said. "He understands me. It's just the business part that gets tough. I don't think he's going to cut me, because then I can go somewhere else."
Wright said the medication has helped him, "but it makes me tired."
Wright has struggled during this year's camp. He gained 20 pounds in the off-season, then worked during the summer to shed the weight.
"I worked hard to get back into shape," Wright said. "I want to play. But here, they already know who they want to start and who they want to back up."
He said his medication contributed to his fatigue so he stopped taking it and last week asked Saban for some time off.
"Coach Saban told me, 'If you need to take some time off, take some time off,' " Wright said.
So after missing last Wednesday's practice with the coach's approval, Wright returned to workouts Thursday but was bumped down to third-team on the depth chart.
"That led me into depression again, because I just kept thinking how I didn't want to sit on the bench again all year," Wright said.

MANNY WRIGHT **edited, I was a bit harsh with my previous comment here*** (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/08/09/0809wright.html)

I guess Saban is a big meanie, y'know pushing players to their limits and expecting 200%. I've been depressed a lot before, and the guy is just a kid at 22, but c'mon. What team will pick him up? The sad thing is the guy has so much potential and talent. He was even making a huge effort in the offseason to improve and lose the excess weight, and really hitting the weights. See ya later dood!

feelthepain
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
MANNY WRIGHT, 22 old Diaper Wearer (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2006/08/09/0809wright.html)

I guess Saban is a big meanie, y'know pushing players to their limits and expecting 200%. I've been depressed a lot before, and the guy is just a kid at 22, but c'mon. What team will pick him up? The sad thing is the guy has so much potential and talent. He was even making a huge effort in the offseason to improve and lose the excess weight, and really hitting the weights. See ya later dood!

Give Manny props here, he's not blaming anyone but himself.

Mitchy moo
08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
I bet he can call his old teammate Ricky for a fix me up.

Devin
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Was that the kid that was crying his eyes out after getting yelled at last year?

OpIv37
08-09-2006, 10:48 PM
We do need a DT but Marv's not a big fan of problem children.

Honestly, I'd like to think that our DT situation isn't so bad that we would have to stoop to this, but it may be...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I feel sorry for the kid. I hope he can get his life together. We keep forgetting that even tho these are HUGE people, they are still pretty young and in a pretty highpressure situation.

Hope he can get back in the game.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah I also feel bad for him it at least seems like he knows it isn't anybody elses fault which is more than you can usually say. As for our DT situation no OP it has not looked bad at all in camp so we do not need to worry about stooping to any low levels right now.

TigerJ
08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Training camp is not good therapy for someone who needs the kind of help Manny apparently needs. I think he needs to take a year off to get his head straight. Then if he wants to try again next year somewhere, I'll wish him well.

Meathead
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
being a little depressed and clinical depression is like having the sniffles or infectious pneumonia

but strenuous exercise is supposed to be just about the best thing you can do for clinical depression so if hes still having debilitating symptoms he should probably consider some serious counselling cuz it probably isnt going to get better if he stops the meds

SABURZFAN
08-10-2006, 03:20 AM
i bet he wants to go to the west coast.

YardRat
08-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Sounds like Wright's tried to get healthy, and Saban's done what he can to try to help...maybe Saban should try to dangle him out there for some kind of draft pick, or just cut him outright.

!Papacrunk!
08-10-2006, 06:19 AM
I guess it's been rough for him since last year's incident and especially the way the press took that story and ran fwith it. I guess him being 22 and being thrust into the NFL was too much for him. Maybe San Fran could offer something, get him back out west.

don137
08-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Miami sure has there toubles. One of ther big FA signings (Will Poole) they are about to do an injury settlement with. Seth Mckinney, one of there best OLmen, could be out for the year and now Wright...

Jan Reimers
08-10-2006, 07:37 AM

Honestly, I'd like to think that our DT situation isn't so bad that we would have to stoop to this, but it may be...
NO.

From everything I read about camp, Triplett, McCargo and Williams are all playing well, and Anderson is a blue collar guy who just might get better.

And none of them needs a shrink.

carybillsfan
08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
This is why I say never take a guy in the supplemental draft! They never pan out, any guy taking short cuts in College is going to take shortcuts in the NFL.

BuffaloBillsStampede
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Didn't Reggie White go in the supplemental? I thought I read that somewhere.

LtFinFan66
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Miami sure has there toubles. One of ther big FA signings (Will Poole) they are about to do an injury settlement with. Seth Mckinney, one of there best OLmen, could be out for the year and now Wright...Our FA pick-up was Will Allen, not Will Poole. Poole was a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2004 draft. Seth McKinney has been the one o-line guy whose head has been called for the last couple years. Far from our best trust me. He wasn't even gonna start this year

Goobylal
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM
What was wrong with McKinney (Miami's starting center the past few years and expected to be their center this year), in terms of injury or performance? Brown and Williams collectively averaged 4.0 YPC up the middle last year and according to snap.stats.com, he allowed no sacks (whereas Hadnot allowed 1.5 in 3 starts). He'll be missed for sure if he's out for any period of time.

And as for Wright, are you on drugs? That's a big NO!

R. Rich
08-10-2006, 12:33 PM

And you so wanted to work for the Bills, too.

Damn.

Michael82
08-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Was that the kid that was crying his eyes out after getting yelled at last year?
yeah it was..... :baby:

Mitchy moo
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
He has issues, move on.

don137
08-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Our FA pick-up was Will Allen, not Will Poole. Poole was a 3rd or 4th round pick in the 2004 draft. Seth McKinney has been the one o-line guy whose head has been called for the last couple years. Far from our best trust me. He wasn't even gonna start this year

Your right my bad about Allen and not Poole...Mckinney IMO was one of your better OL

!Papacrunk!
08-10-2006, 06:07 PM
This is the stuff that sepperates Saban from Wanny (I know, not a huge accomplishment, but y'know)
In regards to Manny's future:

"We don't have any of this stuff - 'When it doesn't work here, let me go someplace else,"' Saban said Thursday.

"This is the real world. It's business. You have a job. You have a responsibility to do. If you're not capable of doing that responsibility for some reason, we'll certainly support you and help you. If you're not interested in doing that, we determine your fate. You don't."
Mckinney has been solid, but not overly spetacular. He's had some talent that Houck was able to tap into, but he was going to go from center to fighting for a guard position. One aspect of the o-line is that they have been getting the lineman experience at all positions, so I guess that's a good thing in case stuff happens during the season.

Goobylal
08-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Who was going to replace McKinney at center? Hadnot? And the report on finheaven.com said he was expected to start at RG. Now that will be Bennie Anderson's job. :LOL:

Devin
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Hadnot is not a bad player. He can play both c/og and really is pretty effective at both. Hes a young player, but certainly not a bad option.

Bling
05-02-2007, 06:52 PM
He has issues, move on.

:snicker:

HHURRICANE
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Remember, I think his name was Jason Jefferson? The guy was in jail for killing somebody and Marv signed him. Of course he didn't make the final cut but Marv takes some chances.

BILLSROCK1212
05-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Remember, I think his name was Jason Jefferson? The guy was in jail for killing somebody and Marv signed him. Of course he didn't make the final cut but Marv takes some chances.Jefferson is still on the team i am pretty sure

TigerJ
05-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Jason Jefferson is still with the team, but he's a fringe player who will have trouble sticking with team. Of course, if anyone missed it and is wondering why this thread got resurrected, Manny Wright is a Buffalo Bill now. Don't know if he has any chance to stick, but I'm all for giving him a shot, besides which he's a big boy and might be pretty athletic.