PDA

View Full Version : A Throwback Query. The Bills 4 Super Bowls....

blackonyx89
08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Do you think that Ralph should've gotten better players after the second Super Bowl disaster. I think the Bills needed another dominant DE,a WR and two secondary players. Ralph should've gone out and done that but got complacent.Responses.It's just a question.

Mudflap1
08-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Different era, no free agency.

Jon

Ebenezer
08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
if Bruce Smith knocks the ball out of Hostetler's hand...if there was no penalty on the final drive...if the defense tackles on 3rd and 13...

they were the better team but didn't win...

OpIv37
08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
what he said.

If Ralph had done that, it would have made it a hell of a lot more likely that we win the last two. But without FA, it was damn near impossible to do that. The only thing he could have done was work out a trade, which would have just created another hole to fill.

Jan Reimers
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Our DEs were a strength. Jeff Wright at Nose Tackle wasn't a real dominant player, however, so we could have used some help there. And Kelso, for all his hearts and smarts, was a bit of a liability. I think our O, including WRs, was fine.

Overall, I think our D was a little small to battle the huge Os that the Giants, Skins and Boys through at us.

Ebenezer
08-10-2006, 08:36 AM
and it would have taken a ton to beat those Dallas teams...possibly the best OL ever...E. Smith is a great back but not the greatest - Thurman behind that line would have rushed for 2200 yards...

RedEyE
08-10-2006, 08:36 AM
They were good enough to get to the BIG SHOW 4 years straight.

Mudflap1
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
and it would have taken a ton to beat those Dallas teams...possibly the best OL ever...E. Smith is a great back but not the greatest - Thurman behind that line would have rushed for 2200 yards...

I doubt that. Thurman was great, but was kind of a scat-back type who had a few string of workhorse games that he put together. He wasn't an O.J. Simpson or Cookie Gilchrist type. Those guys, or Barry Sanders with that line...

Jon

TedMock
08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
We let Smerlas walk just a tad too early. Wright got bulled over all game against the Giants, and that's the biggest factor in my opinion.

FinFaninBuffalo
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
The biggest mistake was firing Polian. That cost the Bills dearly.

Earthquake Enyart
08-10-2006, 03:08 PM
How soon you guys forget.

In the middle of the run they picked up Bryce Paup who happened to be Defensive Player of the Year with the Bills.

They picked up James Brooks.

With the free agency they had, they did quite a bit.

The_Philster
08-10-2006, 03:27 PM
How soon you guys forget.

In the middle of the run they picked up Bryce Paup who happened to be Defensive Player of the Year with the Bills.

They picked up James Brooks.

With the free agency they had, they did quite a bit.
It was Billy Brooks...not James. Billy played with us from 93-95...taking over from Lofton

Historian
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Losing Leonard Smith to the staff infection after the 1991 season was big.

That took a lot of muscle out of our D.

EDS
08-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Do you think that Ralph should've gotten better players after the second Super Bowl disaster. I think the Bills needed another dominant DE,a WR and two secondary players. Ralph should've gone out and done that but got complacent.Responses.It's just a question.

Another dominant DE? They had one of the all-time greats in Bruce and an excellent number 2 DE in Hanson. What is not to like about that?

I am also unsure how you get better at WR then Andre Reed, James Lofton and Don Beebe.

They could have used some help at Nose Tackle and the secondary to be sure.