PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo vs. Carolina: What to watch for

NorthCarBills
08-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Regardless of QB competition turmoil and other uncertainties, I'm excited about going to the game tomorrow night in Charlotte. Was curious what some of you might be watching for more -- i.e. QB, o-line, WR, SS battles, etc.

I am extremely anxious to see how Losman plays after Holcomb's depature, but he'll probably end up throwing to the likes of Davis, Wilson, Nance. Also hoping to see Whitner play a bit. Will also be interesting to see how Gates and Thomas battle it out for that backup job.

Hope to see some of you at Township Grill tomorrow around 4pm. That's where a bunch of folks are tail gating before the game. Discounted wings!

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Regardless of QB competition turmoil and other uncertainties, I'm excited about going to the game tomorrow night in Charlotte. Was curious what some of you might be watching for more -- i.e. QB, o-line, WR, SS battles, etc.

I am extremely anxious to see how Losman plays after Holcomb's depature, but he'll probably end up throwing to the likes of Davis, Wilson, Nance. Also hoping to see Whitner play a bit. Will also be interesting to see how Gates and Thomas battle it out for that backup job.

Hope to see some of you at Township Grill tomorrow around 4pm. That's where a bunch of folks are tail gating before the game. Discounted wings!

Personally I hope holcomb gets his ass kicked

NorthCarBills
08-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Very insightful...thank you.

Mahdi
08-11-2006, 09:49 AM
I want to see how Martin Nance plays in live competition..... and who of all the receivers who have been tearing it up in camp step up.

don137
08-11-2006, 10:45 AM
- I am looking in the trenches and see how well we do pass protecting and run blocking against Carolina's defense. Also I am curious about our run defense.
For some reason I do not think either QB will do well in the first game of the preseason.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Very insightful...thank you.

so? I hope they beat his ass all over the field, fumbles 3x, throws 4 ints. Screw the POS

ScottLawrence
08-11-2006, 11:16 AM
so? I hope they beat his ass all over the field, fumbles 3x, throws 4 ints. Screw the POS

HAHAHA.

And you call yourself a Bills fan?

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 11:19 AM
HAHAHA.

And you call yourself a Bills fan? Yes. Thats why I want him trashed on Saturday so we can put an end to DJ and Marv trying to push a career loser backup down our throats as a starter.

What gets me is why any Bills fan would want this guy doing anything but holding a clipboard.

carybillsfan
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes. Thats why I want him trashed on Saturday so we can put an end to DJ and Marv trying to push a career loser backup down our throats as a starter.

What gets me is why any Bills fan would want this guy doing anything but holding a clipboard.

perfectly stated

TigerJ
08-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I will be looking to see is Buffalo's offensive line does anything to show that they are becoming more effective and cohesive as a unit. Peters and Peppers should be a great battle. I'll be looking to see if Buffalo's defensive line is able to put any kind of pressure on Del Homme. Thirdly, I'll be watching to see if JP shows increased confidence and consistency, particularly in the short and intermediate passing game. Those are the things he needs to develop to be a complete QB. It will be hard to evaluate that because he'll be playing mostly with second stringers against second stringers. I will have to wait until next week to get a better read on that.

I fear the interior of Buffalo's line is going to get manhandled by the interior of Carolina's interior tandem. If that happens early, I hope Jauron inserts Gibson for Villarrial to see if the big guy can handle the guard spot. Fowler and Reyes are actually a little undersized. It would be great if Buffalo gained enough depth on their offensive line that if they went up against a D-line with smaller, quicker guys they could field a more athletic line and if they went up agains a Baltimore or Carolina that often fields big, strong guys they could match up with them too. Denver seems to do well year after year though with an offensive line that is pretty small.

Saratoga Slim
08-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Yes. Thats why I want him trashed on Saturday so we can put an end to DJ and Marv trying to push a career loser backup down our throats as a starter.

The thing is, I was excited when they brought Holcomb in as a backup. He's exactly what you want as a back-up -- a guy who can come in and manage the game without making big mistakes, and perhaps make a few plays here and there. In that role, there aren't many teams out there that have a better option than we do with Holcomb.

He's just not a starter.

Jan Reimers
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I really want to see some of the younger defensive guys - McCargo and Williams, Whitner, Simpson, Ellison, Hunter and Ezekiel, as well as the revamped O line.

I'm also interested in our WR corps, where there are 3 or 4 players who probably won't have roster spots.

DraftBoy
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Ill be more interested in the 2nd quarter and beyond to see all our young guys play. Do we have injury report yet on who will and wont be playing?

Mr. Cynical
08-11-2006, 03:59 PM

:mex:

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I am looking to see Parrish used as a wr this time instead of a qb.

North_Coast
08-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I'll be watching our first string oline and dline against the Panthers' first stringers. If these units can hold their own against Carolina's quality units, then the Bills' prospects will be looking up significantly no matter who the QB is.

Night Train
08-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I will be looking to see is Buffalo's offensive line does anything to show that they are becoming more effective and cohesive as a unit. Peters and Peppers should be a great battle. I'll be looking to see if Buffalo's defensive line is able to put any kind of pressure on Del Homme. Thirdly, I'll be watching to see if JP shows increased confidence and consistency, particularly in the short and intermediate passing game. Those are the things he needs to develop to be a complete QB. It will be hard to evaluate that because he'll be playing mostly with second stringers against second stringers. I will have to wait until next week to get a better read on that.

I fear the interior of Buffalo's line is going to get manhandled by the interior of Carolina's interior tandem. If that happens early, I hope Jauron inserts Gibson for Villarrial to see if the big guy can handle the guard spot. Fowler and Reyes are actually a little undersized. It would be great if Buffalo gained enough depth on their offensive line that if they went up against a D-line with smaller, quicker guys they could field a more athletic line and if they went up agains a Baltimore or Carolina that often fields big, strong guys they could match up with them too. Denver seems to do well year after year though with an offensive line that is pretty small.

Thank you, wise sage. I agree completely.

Camp tends to feature the skill position players.You can get a peliminary idea of what they can do.

You never really know about the lines until the pre-season.