PDA

View Full Version : Why is anyone shocked Holcomb is starting?

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 09:33 AM
He has been DJ's pick from day one and will be given every opportunity to keep the starting job. DJ doesn't want a gunslinger like losman. Its not in DJ's makeup to have that type of QB.

he wants a veteran so he doesnt' have to deal with the other veterans whining. He also wants a guy that possibly won't lose games. Dump off passes and run the ball will be DJ's M.O. if he can get away with it. Problem is Holcomb has been directly responsible for losing several games in his career.

Sat night, I am with LOG. I hope carolina sacks him 3x, forces a couple fumbles and picks his ass off at least 2x. Personally, I hope he gets knocked out like he did against KC so we can end this farce

ScottLawrence
08-11-2006, 09:51 AM
He has been DJ's pick from day one

I've said this for a long time now.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Please disclose your inside sources.

doomsdayvirus
08-11-2006, 09:53 AM
DJ is just playing "rotating QB's" losman will start the next preseason game.

raphael120
08-11-2006, 09:58 AM
do you really think anyone is going to light it up in the next 2 preseason games? i really think that the second preseason game, where JP starts, is the definining moment of where this team is heading for years to come. i wouldnt place too much emphasis on how JP plays against the Jag's scrubs. but i think if he sucks royally, thats a telling sign too.

here we go, preseason...wooo

TigerJ
08-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Who's shocked? I'm not. Different reason though. Dick Jauron starts Holcomb this week. He is of course listed first on the depth chart, and he has not made a decision on the starter for the season. Losman will start the Cincinnati preseason game, and play at least as long with the starters as Holcomb will on Saturday.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Please disclose your inside sources.

nobody has to have one. Its just fact. Day after day it DJ just keeps proving me more right. Why? because I already knew better. Holcomb is DJ's pick, its his nature. The ONLY way JP wins this flat out lie of a QB competition is if holcomb gets severly tore up by opposing defenses OR gets hurt.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
nobody has to have one. Its just fact. Day after day it DJ just keeps proving me more right. Why? because I already knew better. Holcomb is DJ's pick, its his nature. The ONLY way JP wins this flat out lie of a QB competition is if holcomb gets severly tore up by opposing defenses OR gets hurt.So your opinion is fact? Yeah right!!! :crazy:

When JP started taking the snaps w/ the first unit right after you whined about KH getting snaps, you stop posting crap about the "unfair competition".

NOw that KH is named starter of the 1st preseason, you're saying "you knew better" like you knew better as to how Marv and Dick were gonna draft, right?

:rolleyes:

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
So your opinion is fact? Yeah right!!! :crazy:

When JP started taking the snaps w/ the first unit right after you whined about KH getting snaps, you stop posting crap about the "unfair competition".

NOw that KH is named starter of the 1st preseason, you're saying "you knew better" like you knew better as to how Marv and Dick were gonna draft, right?

:rolleyes:

What does How I THOUGHT about how they MIGHT draft have anything to do with the FACT I know about these joke QB compeitions.

I have been right all along and am still right justa. Its sad you can't admit that FACT. I have been man enough to admit I was wrong on this board, you might want to try it, its not as bad as you might think.

Unless Holcomb flat blows up and or gets hurt, he starts sep 10th. It has been DJ and Marvs intention all along. But again, things can change. They can give him all the snaps with the first string they want, he craps out against Carolina, Cinci etc then they can't start him.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 11:42 AM
What does How I THOUGHT about how they MIGHT draft have anything to do with the FACT I know about these joke QB compeitions.

I have been right all along and am still right justa. Its sad you can't admit that FACT. I have been man enough to admit I was wrong on this board, you might want to try it, its not as bad as you might think.

Unless Holcomb flat blows up and or gets hurt, he starts sep 10th. It has been DJ and Marvs intention all along. But again, things can change. They can give him all the snaps with the first string they want, he craps out against Carolina, Cinci etc then they can't start him.
So you're telling us that Jauron is stupid by insisting on starintg Holcomb from the very begining before he saw what KH could do in Fairchild's system ? You're also telling us that if JP's lights it up in preseason that KH was Jaurons boy anyways?

I don't think Marv is that stupid either. Don't tell me Marv is willing to jeopardize his leagcy by insisting on KH to be his qb right from the get-go without even seeing if he can run Fairchilds suytem? There are no facts to state that Holcomb was Jauron's qb all along other than you making assumptions. Your word is not fact. It never was and never will be. Deal with it.

I agree with you 100% that JP should start but I won't agree with your other ASSUMPTIONS as to what Jauron is thinking. Here's a FACT, KH was not brought in by Jauron. He wasn't Jaurons personal pick.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 11:55 AM
So you're telling us that Jauron is stupid by insisting on starintg Holcomb from the very begining before he saw what KH could do in Fairchild's system ? You're also telling us that if JP's lights it up in preseason that KH was Jaurons boy anyways?

I don't think Marv is that stupid either. Don't tell me Marv is willing to jeopardize his leagcy by insisting on KH to be his qb right from the get-go without even seeing if he can run Fairchilds suytem? There are no facts to state that Holcomb was Jauron's qb all along other than you making assumptions. Your word is not fact. It never was and never will be. Deal with it.

I agree with you 100% that JP should start but I won't agree with your other ASSUMPTIONS as to what Jauron is thinking. Here's a FACT, KH was not brought in by Jauron. He wasn't Jaurons personal pick.

Its fact he was the guy Jaruon wants to go with. Veteran, pretty much safe. And if not allowed to throw the ball deep, wont' lose you games. YES he is Jaruons pick. and yes justa its fact. holcomb is Marv and DJ's pick on this team.

That said they would both love to have tom brady, but I digress.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Its fact he was the guy Jaruon wants to go with. Veteran, pretty much safe. And if not allowed to throw the ball deep, wont' lose you games. YES he is Jaruons pick. and yes justa its fact. holcomb is Marv and DJ's pick on this team.

That said they would both love to have tom brady, but I digress.
Fairchild's system requires downfield passing. Fairchild, Dick, Marv brought in speedy wrs that can go deep.Yeah it makes sense that KH was their qb from the get-go. :coocoo:

As long as you're the one assuming, it's fact. I believe you.

djjimkelly
08-11-2006, 12:17 PM
whos hoping for a semi permanent injury to holcomb i know i am. hes the anti qb

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Fairchild's system requires downfield passing. Fairchild, Dick, Marv brought in speedy wrs that can go deep.Yeah it makes sense that KH was their qb from the get-go. :coocoo:

As long as you're the one assuming, it's fact. I believe you.

Its also been pointed out in St louis they throw shorter patterns and allow the WR's to RAC. Sorry, I'm still right.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
whos hoping for a semi permanent injury to holcomb i know i am. hes the anti qb

I hope he sucks then Peppers and Co knock him the hell out costing him 3 weeks or so of play. Name JP the starter, let Nall come back and do well and lets cut Holcomb from the damn roster.

TedMock
08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I could understand why Jauron would want Holcomb, and I do see ICE's point on that. However, I don't agree that all QB competitions are facades, B.S., etc. I saw a very real one on my own team at one point. We've also seen very real competitions on the professional level. Some to the point that it became disgusting. Jurgenson vs. Kilmer is probably the best one where both candidates were actually worthy QB's. The RJ vs. Flutie one got so pathetic that they were actually alternating series DURING A GAME! Talk about not making a decision. We could say the coach had his guy and Ralph had his which why it was out of hand, but that would be foolish because it's 100% speculation.

In my humble opinion, a QB competition could work in the right situation. This situation in Buffalo is NOT the right one. We're a young team, and we're not going to the SuperBowl. Why not let the young QB take his lumps with the rest of the young offense, go threw growing pains as a team, and grow into a solid competitor next year? I just see no good reason at all to start Holcomb. The "win now" argument is ridiculous because "win now" only works when one is head and shoulders better than the other. Holcomb isn't good enough to turn our record around several games over JP. I'm fine with Holcomb starting week one of the preseason since he is the incumbent and the older player, especially since the coach has already said JP will start week 2. This is all of course depending on how JP looks this week versus primarily backups. If he's REAL bad, he won't start next week.

Dicknoze69
08-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't see where you come to the conclusion that it's a FACT that Holcomb is Jauron's guy. It sounds more like it's your opinion that its a fact that Holcomb is the man.

I'd like to see some evidence that it's a FACT that Holcomb will be our starter. And not the kind of evidence where you say that Jauron loves veterans, or QBs with noodle arms that don't make mistakes.

I'm not supporting either guy; it just seems to me that they haven't decided yet, or they would have announced it publicly and given whomever all the snaps with the first-teamers.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't see where you come to the conclusion that it's a FACT that Holcomb is Jauron's guy. It sounds more like it's your opinion that its a fact that Holcomb is the man.

I'd like to see some evidence that it's a FACT that Holcomb will be our starter. And not the kind of evidence where you say that Jauron loves veterans, or QBs with noodle arms that don't make mistakes.

I'm not supporting either guy; it just seems to me that they haven't decided yet, or they would have announced it publicly and given whomever all the snaps with the first-teamers.:posrep:

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm not supporting either guy; it just seems to me that they haven't decided yet, or they would have announced it publicly and given whomever all the snaps with the first-teamers.

Jaurons history proves this. DJ can't anounce it or the press, Fans etc would tear him apart and tickets would suffer. You can't tell me if fans KNEW from say March on that holcomb was the starter that ticket sales would be as good as they are now. NO WAY.

And go read what I said. I NEVER Said its FACT holcomb IS the STARTER. I said he is DJ's choice. It's DJ's nature. I also said its FACT that QB competitions are a joke and a farce. So far DJ has done nothing but prove this as FACT.

I also said its FACT something could possibly change. IF holcomb gets crushed and sucks and or gets hurt then its JP's job period. Bottom line and this is fact, if all things are = Dick Jaruon will go with Kelly holcomb. He is DJ's choice for the job and the way he has handled this 'competition' so far has proven that.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
:posrep:

One of these days you are gonna just have to admit the FACT I am right. The day is coming.

billsburgh
08-11-2006, 02:36 PM
He has been DJ's pick from day one and will be given every opportunity to keep the starting job. DJ doesn't want a gunslinger like losman. Its not in DJ's makeup to have that type of QB.

he wants a veteran so he doesnt' have to deal with the other veterans whining. He also wants a guy that possibly won't lose games. Dump off passes and run the ball will be DJ's M.O. if he can get away with it. Problem is Holcomb has been directly responsible for losing several games in his career.

Sat night, I am with LOG. I hope carolina sacks him 3x, forces a couple fumbles and picks his ass off at least 2x. Personally, I hope he gets knocked out like he did against KC so we can end this farce
I tend to agree with you but it goes against the way this team is built for. with all these fast receivers who can stretch the field and Fairchild's background it makes no sense for holcomb to start

Dicknoze69
08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Jaurons history proves this. DJ can't anounce it or the press, Fans etc would tear him apart and tickets would suffer. You can't tell me if fans KNEW from say March on that holcomb was the starter that ticket sales would be as good as they are now. NO WAY.

And go read what I said. I NEVER Said its FACT holcomb IS the STARTER. I said he is DJ's choice. It's DJ's nature. I also said its FACT that QB competitions are a joke and a farce. So far DJ has done nothing but prove this as FACT.

I also said its FACT something could possibly change. IF holcomb gets crushed and sucks and or gets hurt then its JP's job period. Bottom line and this is fact, if all things are = Dick Jaruon will go with Kelly holcomb. He is DJ's choice for the job and the way he has handled this 'competition' so far has proven that.

What in Jauron's history and nature proves this? You don't even know the guy. The fact that he was handed crappy QB's while in Chicago and Detroit? You're making conclusory arguments without grounding your conclusions and claims. Give us some evidence to back up your assertions. That's all I'm asking for. You're coming off as super-subjective, and I'm looking for objective evidence.

I actually read what you posted quite well. You stated that it's a fact that Holcomb is Jauron's choice, and that's exactly what I posted. You failed to reasonably read what I wrote.

ParanoidAndroid
08-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Don't waste your time.

dolphinssuck
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Whether JP os KH starts we still have a QB issue. We either start a veteran backup QB or a young gunslinging QB. Personally I like JP and have always preferred him over KH but either way its going to be a tough season at the position.

ICE74129
08-11-2006, 04:12 PM
What in Jauron's history and nature proves this? You don't even know the guy. The fact that he was handed crappy QB's while in Chicago and Detroit? You're making conclusory arguments without grounding your conclusions and claims. Give us some evidence to back up your assertions. That's all I'm asking for. You're coming off as super-subjective, and I'm looking for objective evidence.

I actually read what you posted quite well. You stated that it's a fact that Holcomb is Jauron's choice, and that's exactly what I posted. You failed to reasonably read what I wrote.

Its simple fact. Everything in DJ's background points to Holbomb. He is a defensive minded coach, likes veterans over rookies or younger players. Look at his time in chicago. And if he didn't prefer holcomb, Kelly wouldn't be in contention for anything. he is what he is, a backup with a career losing record.

justasportsfan
08-11-2006, 05:21 PM

But he knows Jauron well. they're buddies.

Jaron likes vets that cannot trhow deep in a system that requires it, He goes on to say in an interview you have to throw deep therefore Holcomb is his qb from day one :ill:

YardRat
08-11-2006, 05:30 PM
McNown and Matthews both saw plenty of action Jauron's first three seasons in Chicago. Matthews only had two years experience, McNown was a rookie. Even Miller only had two real years experience before landing in Chicago.

Only Chandler the last two years of Jauron's stint qualifies as a veteran with more years than JP, and by then both Matthews and McNown had the time to prove they weren't starting material in the NFL.

I don't get where this mind-set of Dick prefering veterans comes from.

Dicknoze69
08-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Its simple fact. Everything in DJ's background points to Holbomb. He is a defensive minded coach, likes veterans over rookies or younger players. Look at his time in chicago. And if he didn't prefer holcomb, Kelly wouldn't be in contention for anything. he is what he is, a backup with a career losing record.

Of course it's simple fact. It must be because it is.

Jauron wasn't exactly handed Elway or Young in Chicago.

Every head coach prefers vets to rookies. I honestly don't think he knows who he's going to start or who he prefers yet....both QB's have looked like crap. He's giving JP every opportunity to grab hold of the job, and JP isn't grabbing ahold of it. He just wants to win.

Look, it's obvious you dislike Holcomb, and as much as I agree with you in that he shouldn't start, at least back up such an assertion that Jauron prefers Holcomb with some facts and evidence.

John Doe
08-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Jauron had to pick one of two QBs to start the game.

How can anyone be surprised that Holcomb is starting given that there was a 50/50 chance of that occuring?

ICE74129
08-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Of course it's simple fact. It must be because it is.

Jauron wasn't exactly handed Elway or Young in Chicago.

Every head coach prefers vets to rookies. I honestly don't think he knows who he's going to start or who he prefers yet....both QB's have looked like crap. He's giving JP every opportunity to grab hold of the job, and JP isn't grabbing ahold of it. He just wants to win.

Look, it's obvious you dislike Holcomb, and as much as I agree with you in that he shouldn't start, at least back up such an assertion that Jauron prefers Holcomb with some facts and evidence.

I have. Its his make up and I know defensive/ Conservitive coaches. I also know he is a players coach and the Vets have already started their whining about rebuilding etc.

!Papacrunk!
08-12-2006, 06:54 AM
Peeps shouldn't really read into who the starter of preseason games is. Last year Saban told the press that even though one guy was going to start the 1st preseason game (the climatic Feeley, Gus, Rosenfels battle,) that it had nothing to do with any sort of depth chart. Someone had to be a starter, it's not like all QBs could start all at once. There's an equal amount of preseason games, enoguh to determine a QB, peeps need to be a bit more patient and take a wait and see approach, IMO.

shelby
08-12-2006, 07:10 AM
i really enjoy reading posts from !Papacrunk!
Who knew a finfan could be so rational?
:up:

Kerr
08-12-2006, 08:31 AM
ICE, this isn't the only time and probably won't be the last time you've jumped the gun on something. It's only preseason. Haven't you noticed there are teams starting backups in preseason games as of late?