X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Is anyone ROOTING for Holcomb to start?

I'm sensing a general consensus that pretty much everyone wants JP to start and get the chance prove his worth so long as he is performing at least close to the level of Holcomb in camp.

Is this true? Is there anyone out there that really wants to see Holcomb get the reigns in a tie between the two?

Also, lets hear some guesses on when the official starter will be named. I'd say the perfect time would be after the 2nd preseaon game, as both QBs would have had a chance to start and get a quarter and a half of reps with the first team against an opponent's first team D. At that point, Jauron could have a fairly sound body of evidence upon which to base a decision, and it would appear that a legitimate comeptition has occurred. Moreover, there would still be two remaining preseason games and several weeks of camp reps for the official starter to get more reps and develop some chemistry with the 1st team offense.

That's more a hope than a prediction, but I think it would make some sense. My two cents from here in the cheap seats.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is anyone ROOTING for Holcomb to start?

I would like to see the starter named after the second preseason game. The wild card is Nall. Will Jauron feel the need to see him start a preseason game before he names a starter. That could be detrimental to the offence because I think they need to use the last two preseason games to get the starter more reps in practice and help him develop more consistency.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

I don't care who starts...I could care less if Clump were the starting QB if it meant that the team was moving forward by winning games...We were in 4 straight SBs...I want to win one before this team leaves town...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        I don't care who starts...I could care less if Clump were the starting QB if it meant that the team was moving forward by winning games...We were in 4 straight SBs...I want to win one before this team leaves town...
        See there is the problem. We won't win or 'move forward' with a career losing backup starting for our team.

It amazes me how far Bills fans have fallen. To the point they would even entertain a POS For a QB like holcomb even being 3rd string on this team.

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

yeah the point of bringing in all these young guys isnt because we want the super bowl NOW. if that was the case we'd bring in the big name guys like TD did, and still it blew up in his face. you DO NOT, and no team i think has EVER gone from being as bad as we were last year, to being super bowl champs the year after. i think we are building a team right now that will make an impact, like the bears, and i think we can definitly build on this talent we have now, and in a few years, i think we'll be back to superbowl potential. i just dont see how having holcomb start is accomplishing ANYTHING in the regular season... we kept JP and didnt draft a QB apparently because we had more glaring issues...

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by raphael120
            yeah the point of bringing in all these young guys isnt because we want the super bowl NOW. if that was the case we'd bring in the big name guys like TD did, and still it blew up in his face. you DO NOT, and no team i think has EVER gone from being as bad as we were last year, to being super bowl champs the year after. i think we are building a team right now that will make an impact, like the bears, and i think we can definitly build on this talent we have now, and in a few years, i think we'll be back to superbowl potential. i just dont see how having holcomb start is accomplishing ANYTHING in the regular season... we kept JP and didnt draft a QB apparently because we had more glaring issues...
            LMAO and what they dont get is, we did the 'insert veteran qb here' with bledsoe...we still had a losing record. Now the last time I checked, Holcomb can't carry Bledsoes jock, so why not just DEVELOP a young guy? Wow what a concept.

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
              See there is the problem. We won't win or 'move forward' with a career losing backup starting for our team.

It amazes me how far Bills fans have fallen. To the point they would even entertain a POS For a QB like holcomb even being 3rd string on this team.
              For the record, I am not a Holcomb fan. I want to see Losman win the job outright and earn the starting job.

However, there was once a guy named Rich Gannon who was a "career loser" and went on to greener pastures with the Raiders at a very veteran age and had a lot of success.

There was also a guy named Earl Morrall who was a career backup on bad teams, then led a great Colts team to SB III, and led the Fish to SB VII, undefeated.

The point is, I want to see Losman earn the job, but I'm not going to turn my back on Holcomb if he happens to win the job outright. Stranger things have happened...

Jon

Comment

• raphael120
                • Oct 2005

LMAO and what they dont get is, we did the 'insert veteran qb here' with bledsoe...we still had a losing record. Now the last time I checked, Holcomb can't carry Bledsoes jock, so why not just DEVELOP a young guy? Wow what a concept.
                you know i was going to mention how we are worse off than the cowboys, at least they have a little left to squeeze out of bledslow, because drew at least gambles and throws the ball up there and occasionally hits pay dirt with a TD or two a game instead of a 3 yd dump off on 3rd and long. especially with TO there. holcomb is a bledsoe with shorter range and smaller coconuts.

Comment

• raphael120
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mudflap1
                  For the record, I am not a Holcomb fan. I want to see Losman win the job outright and earn the starting job.

However, there was once a guy named Rich Gannon who was a "career loser" and went on to greener pastures with the Raiders at a very veteran age and had a lot of success.

There was also a guy named Earl Morrall who was a career backup on bad teams, then led a great Colts team to SB III, and led the Fish to SB VII, undefeated.

The point is, I want to see Losman earn the job, but I'm not going to turn my back on Holcomb if he happens to win the job outright. Stranger things have happened...

Jon
                  i think we have a greater chance at the buffalo mascot to come out and play and become like rich gannon than holcomb. least gannon had an arm.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                    • Jul 2002

We won't win one with a POS QB who can't comp. a pass either.
                    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                      We won't win one with a POS QB who can't comp. a pass either.
                      Don't worry. Kingsburry won't be on the line up once Nall is back.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        Don't worry. Kingsburry won't be on the line up once Nall is back.
                        LMAO perfect justa.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Jon
                          Sorry but Gannon had SOME success before oakland. he also had a decent (not great) arm.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                            Next Question!
                            • Nov 2004

Sorry but Gannon had SOME success before oakland. he also had a decent (not great) arm.
                            Rich Gannon playoff stats before joining Oakland
                            1987 nor W,44-10 | 0 0 0 0 0 | 3 3 0
                            1989 sfo L,13-41 | 13 18 144 0 1 | 2 7 0
                            1995 ind L,7-10 | 5 8 30 0 0 | 2 19 0

Kelly Holcomb playoff stats before joining Buffalo
                            2002 pit L,33-36 | 26 43 429 3 1 | 2 3 0

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but.........

The point is, I'm all for Losman. I want Losman to win the job. I do not think this team is a playoff team this year. Not even close. However, I'm also not going to be quick to throw Holcomb under the bus if he clearly does beat out everyone else for starting quarterback. If Holcomb is as bad as everyone says he is, then Losman should have no excuse not to beat him out. Jauron and Levy have zero motivation to start the inferior quarterback. And don't give me the "it's what the veterans want" crap. The veterans want the best quarterback.

Jon

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Rich Gannon playoff stats before joining Oakland
                              1987 nor W,44-10 | 0 0 0 0 0 | 3 3 0
                              1989 sfo L,13-41 | 13 18 144 0 1 | 2 7 0
                              1995 ind L,7-10 | 5 8 30 0 0 | 2 19 0

Kelly Holcomb playoff stats before joining Buffalo
                              2002 pit L,33-36 | 26 43 429 3 1 | 2 3 0

Now, I'm not a rocket scientist, but.........

The point is, I'm all for Losman. I want Losman to win the job. I do not think this team is a playoff team this year. Not even close. However, I'm also not going to be quick to throw Holcomb under the bus if he clearly does beat out everyone else for starting quarterback. If Holcomb is as bad as everyone says he is, then Losman should have no excuse not to beat him out. Jauron and Levy has zero motivation to start the inferior quarterback. And don't give me the "it's what the veterans want" crap. The veterans want the best quarterback.

Jon
                              Sorry that is WRONG. I am sick of this phraze 'If JP is better he would have no problem beating holcomb'. That phraze is 100% pure crap! I can set up a qb 'competition' where JP could be Payton manning if I wanted. Point being, JP has to be ALLOWED a LEGIT shot to beat him and he isn't getting it so far.

And the veterans do NOT want the best QB esp if that QB needs game time to develop on thier watch. they ALL want veterans regardless. Holcomb has probven throughout his career he is every bit as bad as we make out. he has no business getting a shot ANYWHERE as a starting QB. But only in Buffalo will they allow this joke to go on.

its nothing but further proof as to how bad off the Bills are.

Comment

Working...
                              X