PDA

View Full Version : The QB Competition

jmb1099
08-12-2006, 06:22 AM
So I decided to go to the afternoon camp on Weds to see for myself how things were looking and just to enjoy the Bills football atmosphere. I got to see quite a bit (including Mikey, awesome to see another Zoner) and I can say without doubt that Ice is right, the QB competition needs to end. The way the reps are being split isn't beneficial to either QB. For either one to excel at this point they need more reps.

As far as the qb comparison is concerned:
Holcomb looks good in much of the short range stuff. He seemed poised and seemed to have a decent pocket presence. Here is the rub...there were times when he had receivers open down field and just wouldn't or couldn't throw it to them and dumped it off instead.
Losman: Much improved in the pocket from last year, did a much better job of looking at the whole field and each receiver, threw a much better short ball than last year, and completed passes to open receivers 30 yards down field. His pocket presence is better but still needs to improve, and although he is throwing the short passes bettter than last year, he needs to put a little better touch on them.

Bottom line, which ever qb starts, they each need more reps to become a solid starting qb. My personal preference is Losman for the improvement he has already shown and the improvement I think he can make given the proper practice time.

Misc Notes: Gibson is a beast, words cannot describe how big and strong this guy is. If he can play for 4 quarters it will be a miracle, but he just might make it.
McCargo is an animal...the word quick doesn't do him justice, he is also very strong, we should see good things from him this year.

Whitner: Awesome nose for the ball. 90% of the adjustments he made before the play out him in a position to be in on the play

Royal: Caught everything thrown at him

ICE74129
08-12-2006, 06:52 AM
So you are saying....1) JP is improving and just needs tons of actual work to continue to improve and 2) holcomb is what he is and won't improve any further.

See that settles the QB situation for any GOOD HC.

shelby
08-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Great to hear about Gibson, Mc Cargo, Whitner, and Royals. Thanks!
:gobills:

Michael82
08-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Good post, man! BTW, it was nice to meet you too. I couldn't figure out which Zoner you were at first, but now I know. :up:

The last buffalo fan
08-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Good post, man! BTW, it was nice to meet you too. I couldn't figure out which Zoner you were at first, but now I know. :up:

Some day. One day that zoner will be me, you can count on it!!! :ill:

Mr. Cynical
08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
So you are saying....1) JP is improving and just needs tons of actual work to continue to improve and 2) holcomb is what he is and won't improve any further.

See that settles the QB situation for any GOOD HC.

See my sig.

Mad Bomber
08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
So I decided to go to the afternoon camp on Weds to see for myself how things were looking and just to enjoy the Bills football atmosphere. I got to see quite a bit (including Mikey, awesome to see another Zoner) and I can say without doubt that Ice is right, the QB competition needs to end. The way the reps are being split isn't beneficial to either QB. For either one to excel at this point they need more reps.

As far as the qb comparison is concerned:
Holcomb looks good in much of the short range stuff. He seemed poised and seemed to have a decent pocket presence. Here is the rub...there were times when he had receivers open down field and just wouldn't or couldn't throw it to them and dumped it off instead.
Losman: Much improved in the pocket from last year, did a much better job of looking at the whole field and each receiver, threw a much better short ball than last year, and completed passes to open receivers 30 yards down field. His pocket presence is better but still needs to improve, and although he is throwing the short passes bettter than last year, he needs to put a little better touch on them.

Bottom line, which ever qb starts, they each need more reps to become a solid starting qb. My personal preference is Losman for the improvement he has already shown and the improvement I think he can make given the proper practice time.

Misc Notes: Gibson is a beast, words cannot describe how big and strong this guy is. If he can play for 4 quarters it will be a miracle, but he just might make it.
McCargo is an animal...the word quick doesn't do him justice, he is also very strong, we should see good things from him this year.

Whitner: Awesome nose for the ball. 90% of the adjustments he made before the play out him in a position to be in on the play

Royal: Caught everything thrown at him

Great post, man. Thanks.

If you're close enough to go see camp, you're close enough to come to the opener. Are you gonna be there?

jmb1099
08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Great post, man. Thanks.

If you're close enough to go see camp, you're close enough to come to the opener. Are you gonna be there?
Maybe, it can be hard to get away.