X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Even with Price Tagged we Still can fix the D

Wys, This article adresses your agruement, that if we keep Price we can't fix the D.

In the case of Peerless Price, Buffalo Bills GM Tom Donahoe, to his credit, decided to use one of the few negotiating tools available to teams each year to keep a star player they drafted and developed from jumping ship unimpeded. More

Still, Donahoe’s decision has made some fans fearful that committing a one-year salary of $5.01 million to Price has compromised the Bills’ ability to address obvious defensive holes.

It’s not true.

If the Bills aren’t afraid to go through a couple boxes of No. 2 pencils, they can have it all, a team official confirmed.

As is done frequently in the NFL, a long-term deal for Price can be back-loaded, giving the club low cap numbers early on that would complement those of receiving mate Eric Moulds.

If Buffalo can tie up $7 million in cap space for linemen Ruben Brown and Mike Williams in 2003, why not around $8 million or so for Moulds and Price?

About $7 million in additional cap space can be found by cutting fullback Larry Centers, strong safety Billy Jenkins, cornerback Chris Watson, linebacker Eddie Robinson and tight end Jay Riemersma, although Riemersma shouldn’t be put to the curb with haste.

Furthermore, Bledsoe and Moulds are more than willing to restructure their deals to keep Price a part of Buffalo’s Big Four, with running back Travis Henry.
    Still, doing all this would be tricky because you still have to take account that Winfield, Henry, Schoebel, Jennings and Sullivan will al be FA in the next 2 years.

I think CP showed this and now the D&C showed it. We can still pay Price and fix our D.
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • Wys Guy
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

If we pay Price $5M, or anything close to it in terms of a cap hit, then we'll have between $5 and 7 M left for everything. There's no way we're gonna fill a DT, DE, and two OLB spots for an average of $1.5M apiece and be much better than we were last year.

I didn't read the article, but you don't have to be a genious to figure out what good players cost and how many fit into the money that you have. We might be able to land a Colvin or Simmons, but then we'd get mediocrity at the other positions. We had that last year and if mediocrity is all we're gonna pickup, then I'd rather really boost the O and get a decent OL instead.

If Price signs, it'll be an enormous detriment to what we can do to fix the D. $10M on D will go a long way. $5M won't.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Romes
      • Jul 2002

Cutting Centers, Jenkins, Robinson, Watson and Reimersma would save $7 mill according to the article.

Add that on to the fact that we could restructure Moulds and Bledsoe deals. I would think they would do this because Moulds and Bledsoe have been so outspoken about keeping Price.

If we make those cuts (not including restructurings), add that to the $4-$5 we have free now and we would have atleast $11-12 free. I think we are looking to get a DT and 2 OLB and that would be around $3 mill a player with room to spare. It is possible to have Price and a defense too.
      Originally posted by paladin warrior
      RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
        Expert on Experts
        • Jul 2002

and wys, the best part, if we cant work out anything with price, we can remove the tag and get all the cap room back. Wonderful, huh?

Let's see what TD does. It's not risky yet because we can drop the tag at any time.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
          Sab and TD are insignificant
          • Sep 2002

Why the hell haven't Riemersma, Centers, Watson, Robinson, and Jenkins been cut yet?
          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• clumping platelets

Bills could "go for broke" and find as much as $15-18 million in cap space........but we know what that leads to........cap hell!!

Comment

Working...
            X